2012 stock suspension

20jk08

Hi guys,,,, I'm wondering if the stock lower control arms, and stock shocks from a 2012 jku, would fit on my 2008 jku ?
I'm running a teraflex 2.5" lift with shock extenders, with worn bushings on the control arms and have found a good deal on the stock parts I mentioned,,,,
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,,,,

2012jkfng702

I don't 100% know cause I just bought a jk but I just put a lift on mine so my lower contol arms are laying on the floor in my garage. If you measure it eye to eye and give me a number I ll check mine. P.S. mine are for sale as well if the other deal doesn't work out. I only had 2000 miles on them.

kaptkrappy

Hi guys,,,, I'm wondering if the stock lower control arms, and stock shocks from a 2012 jku, would fit on my 2008 jku ?
I'm running a teraflex 2.5" lift with shock extenders, with worn bushings on the control arms and have found a good deal on the stock parts I mentioned,,,,
Thanks in advance,,,,

The part numbers are the same for '07-'12 JKU (non-Rubicon) in the mopar replacement parts catalog for the control arms and shocks, so......they should work.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Thanks in advance,,,,

its all the same, two door, four door. 07-12

I already blew out my stock lowers as well.:crazyeyes:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
how the hell did you manange to do that already??

Moab, I started hearing a loud metal clunk noise on the way home. It turned out to be the right lower rear control arm. Both were blown out :crazyeyes:

Its always been torqued at ride height. I'm really not sure what cause it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Moab, I started hearing a loud metal clunk noise on the way home. It turned out to be the right lower rear control arm. Both were blown out :crazyeyes:

well, clearly you must have exceeded the tollerances of the factory bonded rubber bushings (i.e. too much flex). for people who actually wheel their jeep, it does happen.

hmmm, i wonder why none of the self-professed overland expedition types who rave about the near bulletproof nature of factory components, never seem to talk about blown out bushings :hmm:

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member

Maybe that death wobble issue you were having had something to do with it. :idontknow:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Maybe that death wobble issue you were having had something to do with it. :idontknow:

it could have, but it was the right rear. Changed out the ball joints yesterday. The lowers we're shot. Everything else looks good. I'm not really sure where the hell the DW came from :thinking:

20jk08

re:

Ya, I'm getting some steering wheel shimmy when I hit some bumps,,,the bushing have some play. I've done the washer on the trackbar,(front and back of the bracket, larger bolt etc), everything else is tight, so I'm assuming it's the bushings, it makes sense....No death wobble, but irritating all the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya, I'm getting some steering wheel shimmy when I hit some bumps,,,the bushing have some play. I've done the washer on the trackbar,(front and back of the bracket, larger bolt etc), everything else is tight, so I'm assuming it's the bushings, it makes sense....No death wobble, but irritating all the same.

have you checked your ball joints?

20jk08

Hi

Yes, they are about 4 months old, (stock warranty replacement) but before the Moab trip, I had the front end checked by a local garage, and I was present watching everything he looked at, the b/j were well within spec,,that's how I found out I had play in the c/a bushings,,, I did however notice a slight flex in the (JKS) trackbar, not sure if that's normal. On a side note, sometime during the winter, my front driveshaft had sized due to a torn off boot. Luckily, the dealership replaced it under warranty (friends a mechanic there).. Where I had the front end checked, the mechanic said that could have caused the bushings to go since all the bouncing strain would be on the bushings with the driveshaft not moving inside itself ( if that makes any sense to you :),,,Our roads up here are hell......
thanks again:)
So,, would you think the bad bushings would cause that shimmy?

At the vendor show the JKS people showed me the sector shaft brace system the have, and said it would help with the shimmy, but I want to fix it not mask it,,,

Dave

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
20jk08 said:
I did however notice a slight flex in the (JKS) trackbar

maybe i missed it the first time around but had i heard you say this, i would have said that is your problem right there. i don't know what gen track bar you have of theirs but, their earlier ones definitely flexed and helped cause DW. trust me, i ran several versions of their track bars, all the while dealing with DW issues before they got it right.

20jk08

Ahha,,,,,,,thanks for that heads up Eddie, I'm going to change over to the stock trackbar tomorrow for a test drive and see if it improves the steering. I'll let you know if it helps. :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ahha,,,,,,,thanks for that heads up Eddie, I'm going to change over to the stock trackbar tomorrow for a test drive and see if it improves the steering. I'll let you know if it helps. :)

just remember, with each episode of DW you have, a lot of losening up of bolts and damage to components it can do. if DW is really what you've been having, you really should go through everything all over again after you address your track bar EVEN IF you're sure they're good. trust me, i speak with experience here.

20jk08

re:

Hi,, I put on the stock trackbar, torqued to spec, centered the steering, but still get the shimmy. It's not D/W, just a shimmy in the steering wheel on bumps at highway speed. Going to try the barely used 2012 control arms and and throw on the shocks they come with....We'll see if the newer bushings help at all.

Top Bottom