u joints

Rebel JK

Hey guys- the last two runs Ive been on I saw blown ujoint leftovers left behind on the trail. Making me think I better start carrying an extra set. Question- if I am running Reel 1350s and stock D44's what are my best options? Do the stock joints fit with the 1350's?
I remember reading about full circle clips and need to look into these. Heres what Im running now.
Thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130527_070512.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130527_070512.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 159
x-tra joints are a goood idea for the trail along with the proper tools just incase you do break. make sure you buy eaither spicer or neapco joints, they are stonger and made in the USA. If you get a spare set to take along with you, tell the counter person at a reliable parts place like Carquest or NAPA that you want the joints with the grease fittings, they should be ablle to find them quickly for you. and don't forget to grease them.

Rebel JK

Thanks Nubs. Been a number of years since i had to change any out. And thst was at home in the garage. Besides the standard wrenches, sockets, maybe c clamp what else do you recomend carrying? Small trail vice?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the u-joints you've been seeing were most likely from front axle shafts and not drive shafts. Running chromoly front shafts with full circle clips is what I recommend. You should be fine with a 1350 drive shaft.

Rebel JK

Most of the u-joints you've been seeing were most likely from front axle shafts and not drive shafts. Running chromoly front shafts with full circle clips is what I recommend. You should be fine with a 1350 drive shaft.

Cool. Another dumb question maybe, but where's the best place to pick up some FC clips to replace my stockers with? I'm not planning to change the axles out yet but would probably change the clips in the meantime unless that only moves the weak link to the stock axle.?? Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. Another dumb question maybe, but where's the best place to pick up some FC clips to replace my stockers with? I'm not planning to change the axles out yet but would probably change the clips in the meantime unless that only moves the weak link to the stock axle.?? Thanks

You will NEED chromoly shafts made to accept full circle clips. You can grind out the yoke ears of your factory shaft to do this too but, I wouldn't recommend it. Better to just tack weld your caps if you want to keep your factory shafts.

Rebel JK

You will NEED chromoly shafts made to accept full circle clips. You can grind out the yoke ears of your factory shaft to do this too but, I wouldn't recommend it. Better to just tack weld your caps if you want to keep your factory shafts.

10-4. thanks. For now maybe I'll just pick up a spare set for just in case. Was on a run (sidewinder) with a guy who blew his rear yolk at the clip, he had spare u joints but no yolk and no welder. Luckily another friend with a vortec v8 in his 83 CJ was there to pull him up some of the steeper rock sections to get out.

Top Bottom