Weld seam splitting

mtnbiker995

The weld seam where my drivers side tranny cross member bracket is welded to the frame has began to split...this is on the back side of the bracket (towards the rear of the vehicle)

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369790970.219557.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1369790992.460226.jpg

It's currently split over an inch. I have no idea when this started or how long it's taken for this much to occur. Is this something I should fix tomorrow ASAP or is this something that I can wait until the weekend? Or, is there any chance that this is covered in the lifetime power train warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
that is below average! I would hope that would be covered by your lifetime warranty. But I am sure they will tell you, "well it happened because you took your jeep offroad... :thinking:" In all seriousness, I would get it fixed ASAP!

mtnbiker995

That's what I was thinking...I could very easily weld it back down myself tomorrow but it'd be nice if the stealership took care of it

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'd check to see if its covered. You don't appear to have heavily modified your jeep. Worth a shot anyway.

mtnbiker995

I don't at all...I have a 2" budget boost lift, 33" tires and a couple other small things. The only performance piece I have is a flashpaq so ill just reprogram to stock before I head in

Moochie

Lifetime powertrain warranty only covers parts with internally lubricated components. Engine, transmission, transfer case, differentials ....

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
The weld seam where my drivers side tranny cross member bracket is welded to the frame has began to split...this is on the back side of the bracket (towards the rear of the vehicle)

View attachment 32357
View attachment 32358

It's currently split over an inch. I have no idea when this started or how long it's taken for this much to occur. Is this something I should fix tomorrow ASAP or is this something that I can wait until the weekend? Or, is there any chance that this is covered in the lifetime power train warranty?

Thanks in advance!

It happens if you hit the crossmember hard enough

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug
I would gring that whole weld off, get it nice and clean and then do a couple passes of welding on it.

6010 root with 2 passes of 7018, toss some paint on it and call it a day.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is that a common spot for welds to fail? Any other spots?

It's happened to us a couple of times. The front track bar mount where it ties into the axle and on the frame can tears too - we've had both happen before. Also, the rear track bar mount and rear upper control arm mounts at the axle can tear like this.

mtnbiker995

I would gring that whole weld off, get it nice and clean and then do a couple passes of welding on it.

6010 root with 2 passes of 7018, toss some paint on it and call it a day.

If I have a nice MIG welder and the experience to do it do you think it would work fine or should I take it to my buddy to weld how you recommended?

Cause it might be a while before he has time to weld it for me...

SDG

Caught the Bug
If I have a nice MIG welder and the experience to do it do you think it would work fine or should I take it to my buddy to weld how you recommended?

Cause it might be a while before he has time to weld it for me...

If you have a 220v mig and use flux core it should be fine. Really about getting enough heat into the weld for good penetration. Most of my frame welding experience is on farm tractors and equipment used with them. So I am not super familiar with the thickness of the frame rail and thee crossmember.

mtnbiker995

If you have a 220v mig and use flux core it should be fine. Really about getting enough heat into the weld for good penetration. Most of my frame welding experience is on farm tractors and equipment used with them. So I am not super familiar with the thickness of the frame rail and thee crossmember.

Well then awesome, I'll be doing some welding tonight

SDG

Caught the Bug
Worst case scenario is it rips again then you can bring it to your friend at that point.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Warranty or not, if you have a welder, and are capable of fixing it, do it yourself. You will do a MUCH better job than the dealer, which will do a "good enough" job. I don't bring my rig to the dealer unless it is something I have to pay a lot of money out of pocket for.

mtnbiker995

Worst case scenario is it rips again then you can bring it to your friend at that point.

That thought crossed my mind...and after seeing this weld split, I'll definitely be paying enough attention to my own welds so hopefully it doesn't get this bad again

mtnbiker995

Went to the dealer today, the tech said that he'd never seen that before but unfortunately it wasn't covered. I did how ever get signed up for an oil consumption test starting Friday!

Top Bottom