Rancho, Rock Krawler, Build my own....?

mikefishes

I've been considering the RK 3.5 X lift for my 2008 JK I like that it includes all eight control arms as mine are all squeeking pretty badly and I'd like to clean up the bottom of the rig.

Recently a person I ran into mentioned that the Rancho 4-inch crawler lift (RS66104/B model) featured all similar components and was quite a bit less expensive.

Before you flame me....I KNOW YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!:crazyeyes: I just don't know how the quality of components will compare. I'd like to hear from anyone that has run either lift and would love the input of some of the more senior guys here, as well. Thanks in advance.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
may i ask what you mean by the "Build your own" part? you mean piece one together with different pieces from diff companies?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Rancho kits are made in the USA and are actually really well made. I personally feel that they are one of the most overlooked brands out there. In this particular case, just because it's priced right doesn't mean it isn't any good.

Webe

Rancho

Rancho has been in the business for over 20 years so they know what they are doing. I too have been eye balling their 4" long arm lift for my JK unlimited. The other one I've been looking at is the rough country 4". The thing I like a little better about that one is that it get rid of the upper control arm and ties it into the lower. This will giver you less bind on articulation. Not sure though about the torque pressure of a large tire on the axle or if you had say a dana 60 upgrade if it have an impact. I know it would be just fine with the stock dana 30 and a 35" tire.

2007 JKU

Banned
Rancho makes everything in the US?

They are owned by Tenneco who has 87 manufacturing facilities on five continents in some 100 countries.

RK does for a fact and the kits proven..but will cost you more....possibly. I prefer to support a small company that builds quality parts and one that I can call and talk to the head engineer.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

They are owned by Tenneco who has 87 manufacturing facilities on five continents in some 100 countries.

just because someone is owned by a company who has manufacturing all over the world doesnt mean that they (rancho) are not made in the USA.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

RK does for a fact and the kits proven..but will cost you more....possibly. I prefer to support a small company that builds quality parts and one that I can call and talk to the head engineer.

Yes, they do make everything in the USA, I have been to their manufacturing facility in Long Beach, CA and have seen them build their shocks and suspension components there. It is the reason why they can proudly display the "Made in USA" title on all their products. Don't want to believe it? Don't have to. Having said that, I don't recall anyone ever saying anything negative about RK. If they are who you want to support, by all means, please do.

WhiteDynamite

How do they have 87 manufacturing plants in 100 countries???:thinking:

mikefishes

Yes, they do make everything in the USA, I have been to their manufacturing facility in Long Beach, CA and have seen them build their shocks and suspension components there. It is the reason why they can proudly display the "Made in USA" title on all their products. Don't want to believe it? Don't have to. Having said that, I don't recall anyone ever saying anything negative about RK. If they are who you want to support, by all means, please do.

Ok I have two questions and then I will probably have two more, but for now let's pretend I won't.

I've heard you talk about how important the joints/bushings are. Are they of similar quality with both sets?

Second, I notice that the RK has what would appear to be a front and rear track bar included as part of the package. The Rancho does not. Would I just use the factory ones with the Rancho kit, or would that be two more parts I would need to purchase?

Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard you talk about how important the joints/bushings are. Are they of similar quality with both sets?

Both kits use polyurethane bushings, not my favorite choice as they tend to need regular greasing to keep quite but, work well otherwise.

Second, I notice that the RK has what would appear to be a front and rear track bar included as part of the package. The Rancho does not. Would I just use the factory ones with the Rancho kit, or would that be two more parts I would need to purchase?

The Rancho kit uses track bar relocation brackets as opposed to adjustable track bars. At 4" of lift, this is actually the better way to go as it will correct your steering geometry and provide better handling. If there is a down side to the Rancho kit, it's that it comes with a dropped pitman arm instead of a draglink flip. It'll get the job done just fine but, I personally prefer a drag link flip. Also, it should be noted that the Rancho kit only comes with adjustable upper control arms. This is fine and shouldn't effect your performance but, it does need to be pointed out. Again, for the price and for what all you get for it, it really isn't a bad kit.

mikefishes

Both kits use polyurethane bushings, not my favorite choice as they tend to need regular greasing to keep quite but, work well otherwise.

The Rancho kit uses track bar relocation brackets as opposed to adjustable track bars. At 4" of lift, this is actually the better way to go as it will correct your steering geometry and provide better handling. If there is a down side to the Rancho kit, it's that it comes with a dropped pitman arm instead of a draglink flip. It'll get the job done just fine but, I personally prefer a drag link flip. Also, it should be noted that the Rancho kit only comes with adjustable upper control arms. This is fine and shouldn't effect your performance but, it does need to be pointed out. Again, for the price and for what all you get for it, it really isn't a bad kit.

What would be your kit of choice if the budget was $2000 or less? I am not including the price of shocks in there as I would consider them a separate decision.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What would be your kit of choice if the budget was $2000 or less? I am not including the price of shocks in there as I would consider them a separate decision.

I guess it would depend on how big of a tire you're hoping to run and how hard/often you play.

mikefishes

I guess it would depend on how big of a tire you're hoping to run and how hard/often you play.

Tire size would be 35 for now and possibly 37 after an axle upgrade. I wheel far less hard than you west coast guys. With that being said, I'm not so tight on cash that I wanna skimp much and I'd rather buy right the first time. If my arbitrary $2000 budget is making me miss something great turn me on to it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Tire size would be 35 for now and possibly 37 after an axle upgrade. I wheel far less hard than you west coast guys. With that being said, I'm not so tight on cash that I wanna skimp much and I'd rather buy right the first time. If my arbitrary $2000 budget is making me miss something great turn me on to it.

Well, first off I should say that 4" is WAY TOO MUCH lift for just 35" tires. I might recommend that you look at a 3" kit instead as it'll help you to stay in your $2k budget and/or leave you with some extra cash to spend for other parts. Something like the Rancho 3" Trail System will be a better fit for your needs and will serve you well for a long time. If/when you're ready to run 37's, you can always upgrade to a better system at that time. Even at 3" of lift, you really should keep in mind that you'll need to address your front drive shaft if you have an 07-11 with an automatic or a 2012-up regardless of transmission. If you have a 2-door, you will need to address your rear shaft as well. A good 1310 drive shaft like the kind Coast or JE Reel makes will set you back about $450 a piece.

Top Bottom