Stock...can I make it work?

rich67

Caught the Bug
I am new to Jeeps, four-wheeling and the boards, so go easy on me..:thinking:
I have a stock JKU with the stock 17's. I am wanting to do some mild 4-wheeling, mainly sand pits and some old quarries here in FL, then eventually some trips out west. I have been to Moab and Sedona in my old 2wd Frontier, lost some fillings on some mild roads to viewpoints, but nothing crazy to warrant me scraping the underbelly of my old truck.
I'm on a severe budget, buying a new home currently, so splurging on a major lift,rims and tires, and trimmed fenders is way out of my budget. Is it possible to pull off some of these things in a stocker? I see all the nice rigs on here with 35's and 37's or more and 2"+ lifts. I don't plan on going crazy and rock crawling, but I would like to be able to pull off some milder trails in Moab (White Rim/ roads out in the Maze) and some trails in Sedona that don't require a serious lift or larger tires. Opinions? How about recovery? Winch/Hi lift? Just Hi lift? The Maze is pretty remote; I would think a winch is almost a necessity?
At best, I will most likely look into throwing a 1.5" lift with some 33's with some aggressive tread when I wear out my OEM tires.
Thanks in advance.

FrankenJeeper

You can get a budget boost at a fair price and trim your fenders for free. If definitely save for a winch. I have a hi-lift, and it's wonderful, but definitely doesn't replace a winch. You'll be surprised what a stock JK will do offroad. My advice is to drive it and decide what you need to modify based on your needs offroad.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockyJk

^x2 trimmed fenders u can clear 35s couple people on the forum are running stock suspensions on 35s:thumbup:

rich67

Caught the Bug
I've taken it out in the sugar sand and it was pretty amazing how it plowed through stuff I thought I would have been stuck in. Problem is, I have NO idea what to expect out west, and I don't have much experience on the slickrock (nor would I be able to simulate that out here before my trip).
I figured about the winch. Been eyeing Quadratec for their winch/bumper combo specials..lol

My stock JK does amazing on the trails, the skid plates are there for a reason. i am also on a severe budget, after wheeling a few times stock and seeing what she can do you really don't need to do much of a lift.

a 1.5" or 2.5" teraflex kit can be baught at a good price, trim your fenders "eddie has a great write up on this", maybe save a lil extra for the 35's to gain more clearance for your diffs.

whatever you do to her, she will be bad ass...

TrailBear

You will do pretty good with what you have, as long as you don't get to hung up it will surprise you. I'm running just a teraflex levelling kit at 35's right now, start with the basics, bumpers skids winch, recovery gear and work your way up. Learn as you go as to what your jeep can do, and what sort of wheeling you like to do, then you can plan your build from there:)

If you don't push the limits how do you find them??

13JKUR

Currently I have a stock 4 door rubi and I just got back from a week of wheeling in Moab and kept up, for the most part, on poison spyder, green day on area BFE, and hells revenge. So yes, I would say your good to go! My skid plates took a beating but like someone said earlier, that's what their there for. I have a lift and tires in my hopefully not to distant future but the stock jeep is definitely capable.

groovebus

A stock Wrangler is pretty capable right off the lot. I passed a guy on a crazy mountain road out her in CA exactly the same color as mine and I noticed he had the paper deal plates still. so I asked him when he got it, he said it's only got 300 miles on it. It was a pretty hairy drive to the point I passed him. So it will do almost anything you ask it to. I am still stock as well. 2013 JKU Sport with stock 32" and no lift. I just bought a house too. (I told the wife I wouldn't do any serious mods until the Jeep is paid off) It hasn't let me down yet, and I go out almost every weekend. I've seen some tricked out lifted rigs roll down hills because of bouncy, oversized tires. They got a little hop and lost their line and traction. rolled right down the hill. We rolled them over and they continued on the trail. (That part still amazes me evertime I see it happen.) If you get to an obsticle and don't think you can make it, there is usually a way around. Or just take it real easy.

jhires

Over the years I've found that the single biggest improvement over stock in offroad driving was when I put on better tires. This game is all about traction. Lockers and a lift wont do you a bit of good if your tires cant hook up. Find out from others who go wheelin' in your area and find out what they run. I'm pretty sure my bfg m/t tires would not do as well in soft dry sand as an a/t tire would, but will do much better in the mud.

ichthus

Trim your fenders for free and invest in some rocker protection. Couple hundred bucks will save a lot of damage in the rocks...

spinuck

I'd still put some sort of skid to cover the belly too. I know you don't intend to do anything extreme but who knows where you might end up. Couple hundred bucks for some good peace of mind.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yes you can do a lot in a stock rig. If you don't have a rubicon I would start with recovery gear and rock sliders as your first mods. If you have a rubicon you already have the rock rails so the recovery gear would be a good start.

These jeeps will do way more then you ever think and I was stock for the first 7 months or so before I went bigger.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Jeeps are capable and ready out the door. I bought a stock JK 2 dr auto with 3.73's auto and 16" wheels and 225 tires with 14/55 springs and sport shocks. I purchased components off of fellow members slightly used that includes as follows: 18/59 springs, Rubi shocks, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers, TF puck leveling kit and Rubi 255/75/17 BFG's with Satin Chrome take offs. Installed myself with a buddy. I'm on a tight ass budget myself. I have into it less than $1400. I'll change out tires when they wear down maybe add a coil lift as well, but for now very happy.

Before
canon pics 1.jpg
After next to some stockers
ForumRunner_20130425_182151.png
ForumRunner_20130425_182121.jpg
ForumRunner_20130425_182058.png

Top Bottom