Check engine light / AEV Procal question

Hawaii 5-0

I just changed the oil in my 2009 JKUR. I started up the engine to circulate the oil before checking the oil level, and my check engine light came on. I pulled up code p0302, which I see is a cylinder #2 misfire. I called the dealer to get it in to be looked at. I cleaned my throttle body about a week ago and it was running fine. Now I get this. I'm sure it is related somehow.

I reprogrammed my Jeep for 33" tires and turned off my TPMS with my AEV Procal. Do I need to reset it to factory defaults before I have the Jeep dealership run their diagnostics?

rtguy1

Yes. If they hook up to the computer you will lose your programming and the procal will be useless.

Wtf? How will the procal be useless?

If they hook it up to the computer nothing may change. If anything does change you simply use the procal to change it back. No need to change anything before your trip to the dealer.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Wtf? How will the procal be useless?

If they hook it up to the computer nothing may change. If anything does change you simply use the procal to change it back. No need to change anything before your trip to the dealer.

Incorrect. If they reset stuff your procal will not work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How so? You can simply set it back.

Programmers like this are VIN locked and hooking up a Chrysler scan tool will prevent you from using it again. This is the reason why they come with a "Return to Stock" function.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that I have a ProCal that no longer works as I had forgotten to return it to stock the last time I took my Jeep into the dealership. I just get an error when I plug it in. :rolleyes2:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I used mine after I took it to the dealer and didn't reset it before hand.........

Sent from my iPhone

rtguy1

Programmers like this are VIN locked and hooking up a Chrysler scan tool will prevent you from using it again. This is the reason why they come with a "Return to Stock" function.

But it still has the vin programmed in the procal. They dont change your vin when they scan it. If this were the case then what happens when you regear a '12 and then set it to stock. Drive to the dealer in limp mode? Lol. It still works. Check the aev site. My rig has been reflashed and scanned. No issues with my procal:thumb: maybe results vary. Never heard of this before

Per aev:

I took my Jeep to the dealer and had to re-flash my vehicle, what should I do?

If a feature has been changed by the dealer or anyone else, simply reconfigure the AEV ProCal and follow the original procedure.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 21 December 2011 07:00

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If your dealership doesn't use a scan tool on your Jeep, you should be fine.

They did state and emissions inspection and scanned the computer. I only know cause I have the paper showing they did. All codes came back as good with no errors. Idk maybe I got lucky?

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
But it still has the vin programmed in the procal. They dont change your vin when they scan it. If this were the case then what happens when you regear a '12 and then set it to stock. Drive to the dealer in limp mode? Lol. It still works. Check the aev site. My rig has been reflashed and scanned. No issues with my procal maybe results vary. Never heard of this before

Per aev:

I took my Jeep to the dealer and had to re-flash my vehicle, what should I do?

If a feature has been changed by the dealer or anyone else, simply reconfigure the AEV ProCal and follow the original procedure.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 21 December 2011 07:00

What can I tell you is that I used my ProCal on my 12 to calibrate for my new tire size. Took it into the dealership to get my head replaced under warranty and now, I can only use some of the functions on the ProCal. If I try to change things like tire size, I get an error code. Everything that was programmed is still there but, I cannot make adjustments to certain things now. I have no reason to make this up, simply stating what happened to me. But hey, what do I know.

rtguy1

Yep. Maybe this was an issue of the past. All I know is I have never set mine back to stock and it still works as advertised.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Maybe this was an issue of the past. All I know is I have never set mine back to stock and it still works as advertised.

You know this for a fact? Have you made adjustments to your tire size or gear ratio after you've had your Jeep scanned? Just wondering.

rtguy1

What can I tell you is that I used my ProCal on my 12 to calibrate for my new tire size. Took it into the dealership to get my head replaced under warranty and now, I can only use some of the functions on the ProCal. If I try to change things like tire size, I get an error code. Everything that was programmed is still there but, I cannot make adjustments to certain things now. I have no reason to make this up, simply stating what happened to me. But hey, what do I know.

are you trying to re calibrate it back to the same size you used before the head swap. That's a problem. You can't use the same size twice. Its weird like that. Set it to a totally different size like 32" or something. Program it at that size, then set the procal to the desired size and reprogram it. If you are trying to make a small change in tire size that won't work either. It has to be a big change(can't recall the exact amount). Try programming to a crazy small tire size first then the size you really want.

rtguy1

You know this for a fact? Have you made adjustments to your tire size or gear ratio after you've had your Jeep scanned? Just wondering.

Yep. Evo programmed my gear ratio since then, and I reset my tires since it was off from evo. My speedo was off so I used the above technique. Set it for 32" tires, then whatever I measured out. I think it was partially from letting some of the 40psi my new tires were at lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
are trying to re calibrate it back to the same size you used before the head swap. That's a problem. You can't use the same size twice. Its weird like that. Set it to a totally different size like 32" or something. Program it at that size, then set the procal to the desired size and reprogram it. If you are trying to make a small change in tire size that won't work either. It has to be a big change(can't recall the exact amount). Try programming to a crazy small tire size first then the size you really want.

Nope, wasn't trying to do the same size but a slightly smaller size - maybe that's my problem.

rtguy1

Nope, wasn't trying to do the same size but a slightly smaller size - maybe that's my problem.

Yeah it's kinda crazy how it doesn't work with the small changes. They don't explain this in the book or quick guide either. Hopefully that will fix that issue. Are you having other problems with it as well?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah it's kinda crazy how it doesn't work with the small changes. They don't explain this in the book or quick guide either. Hopefully that will fix that issue. Are you having other problems with it as well?

Nope, that's the only problem I've had. Read through all the literature that came with it, looked at the trouble shooting guide and all it told me was that I had an error. There was no explanation as to what I should do and really, I didn't pursue it more because I just assumed it was caused by the flash. I'll give it a try again and hope that it works.

rtguy1

They don't do a good job with instructions and it leads to a ton of issues. Hopefully it works for yah:beer:

Top Bottom