Re seating tire bead

Rebel JK

Would love to hear some first hand info on the best ways guys reseat their non beadlocks on the trail. Obviously this would be a last resort, but sometime it may come to that. You guys using starting fluid, ratchet straps, carrying spare valve stems, Psi?

ttfhell

Not sure about the best way but I used a ratchet strap and my on board air and it worked like a charm. Only happened to me once though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheDuff

Get weight off tire, put ratchet strap around to apply pressure to help set bead, pull valve core, and then fill tire. Those co2 bottles seem to work really well for doing this, ive seen them pop the bead back on w/o needing a ratchet strap a few times.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you have a decent air compressor, you really don't need to do anything other than remove the weight off your tire, hook up your compressor and go. It really is that simple - no ratchet straps, CO2 tanks or otherwise required. I have re-seated plenty of tires with my PowerPlant just like this. Now, if you have a crappy Harbor Freight compressor, a bit more effort may be needed.

Rebel JK

I havent set a bead since way back when in auto shop on the machine, but im thinking a little soapy water also for assistance rather than dry?
Eddie- excuse my inexperiance on this but what kind of psi blast are you getting out of your power plant?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I havent set a bead since way back when in auto shop on the machine, but im thinking a little soapy water also for assistance rather than dry?
Eddie- excuse my inexperiance on this but what kind of psi blast are you getting out of your power plant?

If it just came unseated, it'll most likely go back on pretty easy as well. A little soapy water is hard to come by on the trail but some WD40 will do the trick too. Regarding the PowerPlant, it provides a CFM rating of 12 CFM @ 0 PSI, 5 CFM @ 90PSI and has a max air pressure of 100 PSI.

TheDuff

Wth, that's better cfm than my harbor freight 21gal compressor:confused:

Rebel JK

B- good call on the co2 bottle. Unregulated, my bottle should put out about 1k psi i guess. That sounds like a good way to go until i get a good OBA system. Cool, now that im done with the sliders, i need to fab a mount for the co2 bottle!

TheDuff

There are a few different mounts around to get ideas from:)

Rebel JK

Cool. Thanks guys will have little more confidence next run. The goal is to be little more prepared each trip.

mtnbiker995

A little bit of butane/lighter fluid and then a lighter will work as a last ditch effort if you have nothing else

Atch

I just used my heavy duty arb to set the beads on my 37" Toyos with a little soapy water

Top Bottom