Radical 2016 Jeep Wrangler suggested by job listings?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an interesting article that Autoblog posted up. Definitely helps to confirm a 2016 release of a new Wrangler and, I think there's real merit to what they are saying. I'd be interested to give this concept Jeep a better look at SEMA. :yup:

Radical 2016 Jeep Wrangler suggested by job listings?
jeep-wrangler-stitch-concept-628.jpg

With most inside the industry expecting the next-generation Jeep Wrangler to arrive for the 2016 model year, it makes sense that the automaker would be looking for some choice candidates to to fill program openings as the off-roader goes through its development. A recent ad on Chryslercareers.com suggests to some that the lightweight Wrangler Stitch Concept, revealed just two months ago and shown above, provides some clues about the off-road icon's next iteration.

According to Automotive News, the job descriptions – which don't name the model specifically – hint that the next-generation Wrangler will benefit from a serious diet. The ads appear to seek those familiar with advanced high-strength steels, hinting that lightweight aluminum body panels may appear on the 4x4. In addition, there are suggestions that Jeep may fit the Wrangler replacement with air suspension, as seen on the Ram and Grand Cherokee, to retain ample off-road clearance yet lower that chassis to improve aerodynamics at highway speeds. The job postings reportedly also lend credence to the idea of a diesel Wrangler.

It seems every bit of the next-generation Wrangler is up for review, as it will be the first time this iconic model is redesigned under Fiat ownership. Questions remain whether or not the Jeep will retain its clip-down hood, easy-to-remove door pins and folding front windshield – loyalists expect them, but fuel economy and safety standards may crimp their cases for survival.

Read article here: http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/31/radical-2016-jeep-wrangler-suggested-by-job-listings/

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Very interested to see what they come up with. Although I do hope there is no truth to the removal of the door pins, folding windshield and the hood latches. That would really suck.

But out of those three I would rather have then remove the folding windshield rather then the others if they had to remove something.

StrizzyChris

The hood latches and windshield wouldn't bother me as much....but no way would they make fixed doors! Possibly redesign the pinning to be flush or inboard, but has to be removable!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I could totally see them doing away with fold down windshield but, I have a hard time ever thinking they would make it so that you couldn't remove your doors. Regarding lighting up the load, I'm sure it's gonna be critical to meet CAFE standards.

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
I too would be fine with them making a fixed windshield and personally wouldn't mind them doing away with the hood latches (I feel like it'd be more secure that way). Removable doors are definitely a large perk to having a Wrangler. It's as iconic as the 7 slot grille.

I don't see anything new in the stitch concept besides the extreme light weight of it compared to base models. So idk why the article mentions them taking cues from it for the '16 remodel. I'd like to see better looking stock bumpers, better exhaust placement (muffler), and better looking fender flares (less bulky). I'm content with the rest. Maybe make it skinnier like people on other forums and on FB have said. I'm content with mine and I like the options you can choose from. I look forward to future "fun" models for me to possibly sink my teeth into haha

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I like this "concept" vehicle, but I'm worried what Jeep may do to meet ever tougher Cafe Standards. I think the Ram trucks kinda point the way. Lots of changes like 8-speed auto tranny and air suspension. True net gain, not much. Any significant weight saving on the Wrangler will be found between and under the frame rails. A really built Wrangler Unltd can weigh 7k lbs. So a 2016 built to the max weighs 6,500lbs (conjecture). Five hundred lbs. isn't insignificant, but the fuel savings won't "fuel" anybody's 401K. I'm thinking we've reached a diminishing returns point on this platform. Like performance engine building, the first 50hp are relatively cheap, but the last fifty take the big bucks and compromise the reliability. Come on 2016, reveal yourself!:twocents:

Jeeper_2010

As others have stated, the doors almost have to be removable. I really don't understand why they're in such. Hurry to redesign it. Jeeps are selling like gangbusters down here. New motors, transmissions, body materials could all be applied to the JK. Why do people insist on fixing things that aren't broken?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Because if nothin changed there would be lower sales. Think about it, if the 3.8L was still in the jeep would people want to upgrade from a 2007 to a 2012? Not the real jeepers, they would do motor swap.

Last edited:

Cutch

As for the fold down windshield....I was a trail guide at the media release of the JK on the Rubicon back in 2006. I was speaking to one of the engineers and he told me that one of the lead designers insisted the JK windshield fold down...mind you that was years ago

Jeeper_2010

Because if nothin changed there would be lower sales. Think about it, if the 3.8L was still in the jeep would people want to upgrade from a 2007 to a 2012? Not the real jeepers, they would do motor swap.

Exactly my point. The new motor in the existing platform increased sales. Interior changes in 2011 increased sales. The jeep still looks the same.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Exactly my point. The new motor in the existing platform increased sales. Interior changes in 2011 increased sales. The jeep still looks the same.

Ah gotcha. I consider the new motor and interior a redesign so that's where I got confused. The styling of the jeep will stay the same I am guessing though.

cboggs

Ah gotcha. I consider the new motor and interior a redesign so that's where I got confused. The styling of the jeep will stay the same I am guessing though.

You saw what they did with the new Cherokee right? Sounds like Fiat is into making mini vans and Grand Cherokees with redesigned Wrangler bodies. Wonder who will be the first to offer a solid axle conversion?

Top Bottom