Frame rail cutting void warranty?!?

Hi,
I'm about to purchase the poison spyder BFH rear bumper and it requires the rear frame rails to be cut. Will this void my warranty?!

Thank you for any info,

Sean

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It shouldn't and I can't see why any dealership would but, a warranty and the voiding of one is ultimately all up to them.

cluelessJK

Hi,
I'm about to purchase the poison spyder BFH rear bumper and it requires the rear frame rails to be cut. Will this void my warranty?!

Thank you for any info,

Sean

I'm in the same boat... I love the Ace Engineering pro series bumper but I'm veryyyyy hesitant to buy it with the whole Chrysler warranty awesomeness. I want to talk to several dealerships first and see what there reaction is to it.

I'm in the same boat... I love the Ace Engineering pro series bumper but I'm veryyyyy hesitant to buy it with the whole Chrysler warranty awesomeness. I want to talk to several dealerships first and see what there reaction is to it.

I gave my local Huntington Beach dealer a call in SoCal and he said they will NOT void the warranty for the frame rail cut but if you were to sell the vehicle, it can not be registered because there were frame modifications. I decided not to buy the bumper in fear that after I cut the rails, I can't go back to anything else. My options are limited if I wanted to change bumpers

cluelessJK

Do you know if that law/rule/regulation is nationwide or just California? Also, I wonder what the vehicle would be titled as, because people build cars from the frame up literally out of a book... This requires more investigation!!

I have read my warranty and the only section which has been voided since I purchase it has been the suspension because of the after market suspension. Even if I had the MOPAR suspension installed at the dealership it still would have voided my warranty. I say this only to get to my point. Building a relationship with a dealership and their service writer will go a long way. I have been using the same dealership for the past 5 years for servicing. This started the building of the realationship. I recently took the JK into have warranty work done and along with it I had the oil changed and tires rotated. Sure I could have done this myself but when it comes down to needing major warranty work the relationship is built. Again this is JMHO.

R/
Will

Atch

As long as you can still put your factory bumper on when you go to resell or trade it off who cares, they won't have any idea.

ssh6314

As long as you can still put your factory bumper on when you go to resell or trade it off who cares, they won't have any idea.

This. I traded in my 2 door for my 4 door a month ago. There "appraisel walk" was 30 seconds long. He walked a circle around it, looking at the paint, looking inside quickly, and wrote my vin for the factory option list for kbb. He didn't even know I had the rear bumper off, he thought it was factory.

Sent from my EVO-3d using WAYALIFE app.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I gave my local Huntington Beach dealer a call in SoCal and he said they will NOT void the warranty for the frame rail cut but if you were to sell the vehicle, it can not be registered because there were frame modifications. I decided not to buy the bumper in fear that after I cut the rails, I can't go back to anything else. My options are limited if I wanted to change bumpers

That right there is funny stuff!!

Guess I'm screwed because I have cut my frame. :doh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The whole warranty thing and the fact that dealerships can just stick it to you sucks to no end. If your warranty is a big concern of yours, you might as well just leave your Jeep stock.

mikefishes

The whole warranty thing and the fact that dealerships can just stick it to you sucks to no end. If your warranty is a big concern of yours, you might as well just leave your Jeep stock.

From a purely academic/financial viewpoint, it would seem that Chrysler cuts off it's nose to spite it's face. I've got an almost paid off 2008 that has good wheels, tires, bumpers, winch, tire carrier, flares, etc. and I would seriously consider grabbing the pieces I want and moving to the new 3.6 liter. The idea of possibly having a worthless warranty is what sways me to stay with my currently un-warranteed vehicle. I imagine Chrysler must lose some sales from playing hardball like this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From a purely academic/financial viewpoint, it would seem that Chrysler cuts off it's nose to spite it's face. I've got an almost paid off 2008 that has good wheels, tires, bumpers, winch, tire carrier, flares, etc. and I would seriously consider grabbing the pieces I want and moving to the new 3.6 liter. The idea of possibly having a worthless warranty is what sways me to stay with my currently un-warranteed vehicle. I imagine Chrysler must lose some sales from playing hardball like this.

They may loose some but, the Wrangler is still one of the hottest vehicles on the market.

seanb123

Just curious about warranties did anyone try and get in writing that they will cover work as long as the mods don't affect the part

suicideking

I thought about getting the same bumper -- I'm not going to get it because of the alteration to the frame. I also figure I might eventually want something different or eventually have trouble selling the Jeep.

I figure there are plenty of nice front bumpers that don't require such drastic modification.

Top Bottom