Pinion Agngle

silverbackjk

How do i go about measuring my rear pinion angle. I am running 3.5 in of lift with stock rear drive shaft. My rear springs are bowing a little. What is the ideal pinon angle?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're running a factory rear shaft, you don't need to adjust your pinion angle. In fact, if you do, you will have even more bowing of your coils - A LOT more. If you were running an aftermarket shaft, you would want your pinion to sit in line with your rear drive shaft.

What it would look like if you had your pinion set in line with your rear drive shaft:
main.php

main.php

silverbackjk

If you're running a factory rear shaft, you don't need to adjust your pinion angle. In fact, if you do, you will have even more bowing of your coils - A LOT more. If you were running an aftermarket shaft, you would want your pinion to sit in line with your rear drive shaft.

Is it ok to keep the setup like this with the bow in the springs? Will it harm anything? I do plan on upgrading my rear shaft in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it ok to keep the setup like this with the bow in the springs? Will it harm anything? I do plan on upgrading my rear shaft in the future.

Being that you have a 4-door and running a factory rear drive shaft, it sounds like you might have your control arms set too long. Still, a bit of bowing is fine and won't hurt anything so long as the coils aren't making contact with things like your track bar bolts. Once you get a new drive shaft, you will want to set your control arms to the correct length to help prevent too much bowing. If you like it like that, you can always get a set of JKS adjustable lower spring perches to fix the problem.

silverbackjk

Being that you have a 4-door and running a factory rear drive shaft, it sounds like you might have your control arms set too long. Still, a bit of bowing is fine and won't hurt anything so long as the coils aren't making contact with things like your track bar bolts. Once you get a new drive shaft, you will want to set your control arms to the correct length to help prevent too much bowing. If you like it like that, you can always get a set of JKS adjustable lower spring perches to fix the problem.

Thanks for the info. I will try to adjust both upper and lower control arms when i get the d.s. I do not get any sort of rubbing so i should be good for the time being.

Top Bottom