Smokey needs some V8 power.

Moochie

After a long and painful battle with the 3.8 engine it's time to move forward with a GM LS 5.3 (LC9).
Even though Smokey has a recently rebuilt 3.8, the engine has failed due to a lack of oil pressure. (spun bearings). Because some other hands have been in his belly, my warranty is no longer valid.
As I looked at the cost of replacing the stock engine I decided to spend a bunch more and finally give Smokey the engine and transmission he deserves. I've been in contact with an engine shop close to where I live called Turnkey Powertrain Solutions in Oceanside, CA. They do LS - JK engine swaps as the CA dealer for Las Vegas based Motech. Motech makes the kits required for this swap. We are still ironing out the details.
Here are some photos from their shop where they build many engines for the off road racing industry and others. In fact, Shannon Cambell's engines are built here.

2 LC9 engines
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370387571.873126.jpg
Various other engines
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370387639.275932.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370387653.292547.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370387671.002772.jpg
This one has over 800 HP
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370387696.476253.jpg
And A Ford
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370387771.318918.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet!! I think you're doing the right thing. No point in jerking around with the dealership and trying to get the POS 3.8L to work for you. It's time Smokey got what he deserves - REAL POWER :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking about the 6.2 but, since I want to stay with 37's the 5.3 will be plenty for me. Gas mileage will even be much improved.

It's nuts how that works but, your MPG should be measurably better than what you were getting with your old 3.8L. So, did you drop off your Jeep with them and if so, what kind of time frame are you looking at?

Moochie

It's nuts how that works but, your MPG should be measurably better than what you were getting with your old 3.8L. So, did you drop off your Jeep with them and if so, what kind of time frame are you looking at?

I haven't dropped it off yet. Once I do it should take about 5 weeks to finish.

Paisano

Alright Moochie! You going to change axles too? Pro Rock 60s front and Rear?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

Alright Moochie! You going to change axles too? Pro Rock 60s front and Rear?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I need to change my front axle as soon as possible after the engine swap. It's really bending at the housing. I'll just go with a ProRock 44 in the front and possibly a trail 60 in the rear latter. I don't plan on going to 40's.

Atch

Sweet, I can't wait to watch the build. I'm hoping to do an LS swap in a few more yrs or sooner if I have trouble with my town & country motor!

JAGS

Hooked
This is cool to hear. While a tough pill to swallow on the $$$$ side, you've done your research and I'm sure you'll be happy with the end results. A PR 44 to boot. Also very cool!

Congrats and will keep eyes open for updates.

Top Bottom