Spare tire spacer?

bl17z90

Just ordered my trail grapplers but now i need a spacer for the rear carrier (keepig stock wheels for now)

Any suggestions?

bl17z90

I have also been told that i shouldnt have more than 80 pounds on the rear gate and the trail grappler weighs that much itself without the wheel. Any thoughts on this or solutions without buying a bumper?

bob-o12jk

Banned
You could buy the teraflex hinge and use your stock tire carrier on it. I have been running this setup for 7 months now with a 37" tire on the stock Moab wheel with out any problems

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have also been told that i shouldnt have more than 80 pounds on the rear gate and the trail grappler weighs that much itself without the wheel. Any thoughts on this or solutions without buying a bumper?

I have my mud grapplers on my stock carrier. Just get the daystar bumpstop extensions. There like $15 at ORW.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370562810.783080.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370562825.266603.jpg

bl17z90

If im gonna spend te money for the teraflex setup I'll buy a full bumper.

I need an up spacer overland, because i am sticking with the stock 17.

Or i can take the bumper off....hmmmm

jeeeep

Hooked
what size tires? maybe just trim the plastic bumper until you get what you want ... or remove it, guess depends on your local laws.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If im gonna spend te money for the teraflex setup I'll buy a full bumper.

I need an up spacer overland, because i am sticking with the stock 17.

Or i can take the bumper off....hmmmm

Yeah I know that. But you also need the bumpstops. I believe daystar or teraflex have the riser. Moochie ran it when he first lifted for like 40,000 miles.

dahreno

Banned
I don't know how much these people wheel that gave you advise but , I can tell you that 80 pounds weighs alot more when you start bouncing . I would imagine at least twice the amount , if not more . I made the mistake of bolting my 35 " tire to my original tailgate when I bought my JK 6 years ago .I wish I had a picture of how bent my tailgate is . Of course I have bought a steel bumper w/ tire carrier . I only wish someone gave me this advise earlier ! Spend the money and get a good bumper with a tire carrier , you will always be glad you did .

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I don't know how much these people wheel that gave you advise but , I can tell you that 80 pounds weighs alot more when you start bouncing . I would imagine at least twice the amount , if not more . I made the mistake of bolting my 35 " tire to my original tailgate when I bought my JK 6 years ago .I wish I had a picture of how bent my tailgate is . Of course I have bought a steel bumper w/ tire carrier . I only wish someone gave me this advise earlier ! Spend the money and get a good bumper with a tire carrier , you will always be glad you did .

If you do it correctly you will be fine. If you don't add the bump stops and keep the tire secure then yes you will ruin your gate quick.

bl17z90

I really can't spend the cash for the rear carrier right now. I plan to carry it inside my jeep when i go out wheeling.

I need a good spacer for now.

I'll look into the daystar bump stops

jeeeep

Hooked

I've had my 35 mounted on the stock carrier for over a year, wheel regularly and tailgate is still fine. I do have the spacers so tire is firm against the tailgate and my tire also rests on the bumper. how was it yours was able to bounce so much?

Devallee

I'm running my 35 with 20" rim (around 120 lbs) on the tailgate with the smittybilt tire carrier and hinges are holding up just fine . Been running it like this for at least 2 years with very frequent trail runs. It is resting on the bumper and firmly against the bump stops so movement is minimal. If you don't wanna spend the money on the teraflex hinges or a whole bumper setup for that matter, but have a little pocket change I'd recommend the smittybilt carrier. That being said, I still remove it most of the time I wheel just for giggles :thumb:

bl17z90

I saw the reinforcement kit today and thought about it.

My tires will be on the stock rims when i get them.

Top Bottom