ATLAS' build-up thread, a little differently...

cluelessJK

Hello all,
So I have finally convinced the wife that 37's will look best on our 12' 2dr JK. Haha. With that being said, I have a lot of options to choose from when it comes to parts, so I'm asking for y'all's help to narrow down my options and actually start purchasing parts bast off popularity for, the options I have picked out so far. I will be doing a reasonable amount or rocks, tight curves around trees, and off camber situations (thanks Washington).

So how this is going to work, first off Im begging for as much participation as possible. Next I will put the category of item I'm interested in, For example "front bumper", then I will put options listed as A,B,C and so on to alleviate all confusion. Lastly, I will upkeep a current tally at the bottom of this first post. Thanks everyone for helping me out, this thread exact thread will be posted on JK-forum as well as WAYALIFE.

We will start at the front of the body and work our way back:

FRONT BUMPER:

A: ace engineering Pro series stinger w/20" light provision
B: evo offroad 1/4 with stinger
C: JCR offroad dagger series stinger
D: other

WINCH:
unknown at this time need to do more research, suggestions please :)

ROCK RAILS:
A: ACE engineering bolt on sliders (3)
B: smittybuilt XRC (the ones with the step for my wife)
C: evo offroad rock sliders

REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER
A: Evo offroad tire carrier (3)
B: JCR offroad rear tire carrier, deluxe
C: suggestions.... (1)

Now onto drivetrain:

GEAR RATIO (remember for 37* tire with a reasonable amount of 60+mph)
A: 4.56
B: 4.88 (2)
C: 5.13
D: 4.10

SUSPENSION:
A: metal cloak duroflex 3.5
B: evo offroad enforcer (1)
C: rock crawler (the lift with minimal rubbing, not sure which that is)
D: suggestions....

TIRES:
A: toyo open country M/T
B: nitto mud grapplers
C: suggestions...

WHEELS:
A: ATX slabs (2)
B: spider locks (2)
B: suggestions...

This should narrow down my options a lot. Now I know this is "my jeep" and ill build it how I like but I have chose all these based off of popularity as well as performance, yet reasonably priced.. Well some of it. After I consolidate all of this over time I will make my decisions and then start looking more into upgrading the front D30, as I feel I will be able to build that cheaper and more feesable than upgrading to a 44. Also lockers will be a later discussion. Once again thank you everyone! And sorry for the Novel... :)

As ATLAS sits.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1370565997.433160.jpg

Last edited:

Atch

D30 with 37's and wheeling isn't a very ideal setup. As far as the brands you're looking at I personally wouldn't go with Ace. I prefer a more solid product such as EVO, LOD, or Poison Spyder. I've seen these 3 brands stand up to some extreme trail abuse without issue.

Napalm90

Well, I will have to keep my eyes open for a D44, I was hoping no one would say that though. Haha :/

You can go with a d30, my friend still uses his d30. It's Brel hold 37's for a couple months now, all he has are gussets but he is thinking on sleeves or just spending the coin on a rock jock or pr44

Sent via carrier pigeon

DJCFHB

front bumper: evo
winch: i have the warn 9.5cti and love it
rock rails: if your wife needs a step i'd go LoD
rear tire carrier: I have evo its nice and solid but not daily driver friendly, Knew that when i bought it though. Maybe something integrated into the tailgate like the new poison spyder combo or lod combo
gears: check gear chart for you year model and drivetrain ( remember to make your choice off of actual tire size not numbers on the side wall)
Suspension: have heard good things about evo and rock krawler no personal experience
tires: trail grapplers or toyo m/t
wheels: i have atx slabs and have no complaints about them

MTG

Caught the Bug
FRONT BUMPER:

Personal choice. I like the looks and functionality of the EVO 1/4 pounder myself. I like LOD or Poison Spyder bumpers better than the other two you have listed.

Then

D: other

WINCH:

WARN

ROCK RAILS:

C: evo offroad rock sliders

They are the best.

REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER
Again, personal choice. If you want the best departure angle, something tough as hell and Burly. EVO has you covered. There is a picture of a red 2-door on here with the carrrier that looks bad ass.

A: Evo offroad tire carrier

Now onto drivetrain:

I may be wrong, but if you have a 30 up front, you should go bigger than 4.88.

B: 4.88

SUSPENSION:

Depends on budget. The Enforcer works great. No opinions on the others.

B: evo offroad enforcer

TIRES:

Nitto mud grapplers or the trail grapplers if you want something less loud. I'd stay away from knock-offs like "Nitro" :cheesy:

B: nitro mud grapplers

WHEELS:

If you need beadlocks, I think the slabs are a great choice.

A: ATX slabs
B: suggestions...

cluelessJK

TIRES:

Nitto mud grapplers or the trail grapplers if you want something less loud. I'd stay away from knock-offs like "Nitro" :cheesy:

B: nitro mud grapplers..

Thanks for the input! My iPad decided that we need nitro mud grapplers haha, corrected :)

Tumbleweed

I've been to the ACE plant a few times. Their products are built extremely well and HD. 1/4" plate on the bumpers. Excellent welding. Outstanding service.
If I need something and they make it, I will buy it from them.

I am not affiliated with them. Merely a very satisfied customer

Prime8

Go nitto trail grapplers, especially since you said you do a lot of 60+ driving. They balance easier than most other brands and are less noisy than mud grapplers.

As far as a winch goes, I was going to go with a cheap Engo with a synthetic line. Then I was going to do a more expensive Warn Zeon with steel. Then I decided to kill two birds with one stone and get a PowerPlant. Wasn't about to spend $1750 on one though so I hit up Craigslist. Got an essentially new PowerPlant HD 12k for $1000 cash in St Louis. Extremely happy with my decision to wait and scour CL for the right winch. No regrets now and I have a top of the line setup. The compressor fills each 37" Nitto TG from 6-8 psi up to 28 in a couple minutes. Extremely handy.

Beyrgut

I am still a noob but here is my input nothing in any particular order

FRONT BUMPER:
Any of these - personally i like the bull bars look I run the non-pro ACE Bull bar and add a relocation bracket to the list regardless of what you choose
A: ace engineering Pro series stinger w/20" light provision
C: LoD Signature Series Shorty with Stinger

WINCH:
Warn Zeon or Powerplant w/synthetic rope - check measurements against bumper choice for proper fit

ROCK RAILS:
A: evo offroad rock sliders - bent out for better step
B: LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders

REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER
A: Evo offroad tire carrier
B: LoD bumper/tire carrier
C: ACE pro rear/tire carrier - have this one and is pretty damn solid so far

B: 4.88

SUSPENSION:
B: evo offroad enforcer
C: rock Krawler 3.5 4 or 8 arm kit (I run the 4 arm flex kit)

Shocks - didn't see this in your list but you'll need to address this
a: Fox 2.0
B: bilsein 5100/5160
c: Kings

TIRES:
i had same delima and went wih the TGs due ot previous experience with Nitto and better suited for daily driving
A: toyo open country M/T
B: nitto mud grapplers
C Nitto trail grapps

WHEELS:
A: ATX slabs
B: Keep what you have if the backspacing is good and get the Slabs later

Since you mentioned rocks, an oil pan skid may be a good option too not sure on that one but a the EVO and Rancho seem pretty popular

cluelessJK

Thanks so far for the input guys! I'm going to start adding numbers to the original post so I can keep tally on your responses 😃

Top Bottom