Axle seal??

Tyler02

I just noticed I had gear oil all over the backing plate of my rear driver side rotor. I am almost positive it's the axle seal but I have searched a little are there inner and outer seals,If so do I have to replace both or just one. Do I need to replace bearings while I'm already in there?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, you'll need to cut off what you have now and have a new seal and bearings pressed on.

Did you just recently re-gear? I have a 2011 JKU with a manual transmission, the same thing happened to me twice after I re-geared. Finally after the last time I turned my hill assist option off and it hasn't happened again since and it's been a year. Don't know if its what was the actual problem, guess I could turn it back on a test it but I don't want to have to replace the seal again.

Tyler02

The gears in it are still stock. What do you mean by pressed on? Is that something i could tackle myself?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The gears in it are still stock. What do you mean by pressed on? Is that something i could tackle myself?

If you have a shop press, yes, this is something you can do but, without one, you will not be able to. By the sound of things, you might want to have a shop do this for you.

Tyler02

Ill be able to do it. The guy I used to work with let's me use his shop and he help me work on it. I know he has a press. Thanks for the responses. I was just trying to see what all I needed to replace while I'm in there

Top Bottom