Irritating tinging sound

MurderedJK

So this might be hard to explain but maybe some ideas can help with the issue. When I'm driving I can hear a metal to metal "tinging" sound that goes away at the slightest press of the break pedal. I crawled under the rig and re-torqued everything to specs which didn't resolve the tinging. The sound doesn't speed up the faster I go just keeps a steady tinging at any speed between 25-75mph. Has anyone else had this? I might add the tinging sound is faint but now that I have noticed it, its the only thing I hear!!!!:icon_crazy: Any ideas to where to look will be helpful! I'm assuming something to do with the breaks as the sound goes away at the slightest press of the brake but who knows...

So this might be hard to explain but maybe some ideas can help with the issue. When I'm driving I can hear a metal to metal "tinging" sound that goes away at the slightest press of the break pedal. I crawled under the rig and re-torqued everything to specs which didn't resolve the tinging. The sound doesn't speed up the faster I go just keeps a steady tinging at any speed between 25-75mph. Has anyone else had this? I might add the tinging sound is faint but now that I have noticed it, its the only thing I hear!!!!:icon_crazy: Any ideas to where to look will be helpful! I'm assuming something to do with the breaks as the sound goes away at the slightest press of the brake but who knows...

Check the hardware the holds the brake pads to the caliper, the tin clips may need to be replaced. Or check to see if anything is stuck between the pad and rotor.

MurderedJK

I'm going give that a shot! I was wondering if that was something I needed to do. Ill update when I pull the brakes.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Is it the engine tinging? I do notice mine makes that type of sound, but I think it's the 87 oct. gas. It seems to go away when I fill up with a higher grade fo fuel.

MurderedJK

No it's not coming from the engine, it's for sure coming from the wheel area (probably brakes like mentioned above). Ill have to yank the brakes and look into it to verify...

ewinterfeldt

I have the same thing. Have you gone wheeling lately?
Mine started after find and things in Moab. Talked to a local jeep shop and they said that I probably bent my axle flange on my rear axle shaft. They said to put the rear on some jack stands and start her up, put in gear and check out to see if the wheel wobbled. Sure enough, the passenger wheel was wobbling away.
They said it was pretty common with stock axles.
I haven't had the funds to change them out yet but am looking at the G2 chromoly axle kit from quadratec.
There's a good right up in here on how to swap out the axles, looks pretty simple. I just need to find out if I can press off the tone rings from the old axles and put them on the new axles.
Can anyone else confirm what the shop told me?

MurderedJK

When hanging my head out of the jeep, it sounds like its coming from the driver side rear wheelish area...ill rip the brakes in a couple of days when I get a day off work.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Bent axle flange or your parking brake pads are rubbing on the inside of your rotors?

I have a constant sound too. Sounds like metal rubbing. Drives me crazy. I replace rotors, brake pads, backed off the parking brakes, replaced axle shafts and it's still there. :mad: The only time it doesn't make the noise is when the rotors are off.

Not saying yours is the same as mine, but I'm now convinced it's "normal." :grayno:

For some reason or another the rear brakes on the JK's seem to wear out faster than the front, at least in my experience. I replaced my rear pads at around 55K, still going on my OEM front pads with 110K. Have you swapped your rear pads in the past? Aftermarket pads? Sometimes those little plates they give you rattle like crazy if you don't load them with brake "quiet" grease. Also, the OEM pads have little metal "guides" that slide onto the caliper and seat the pad into the caliper. I have lost a few those in the past after some trail fun and I got some noise too. If the noise goes away when you apply just the slightest bit of pressure, it sounds like something is loose or just not seated properly, or missing clips, etc., so when you apply pressure it tightens up and stops the parts from rattling. The rear pads are cheap and easy to replace, I just bought a set of Pro-Stop semi metallic from Pepboys for the rear, decent pads, $35, and they include some Bosch brake grease. Getting ready to put some Hawk LTS on the front. Anyway, good luck! Hope you find the source :thumb:

Last edited:

kRay.JK

I went round and round with the same sound. Ultimately it was the heatshield on the exhaust crossover. See photo for fix.
This cost about $4 so it's worth a shot if any of the welds are broken. This fixed every weird creaky/tingy noise on my jeep.

jB4Ma0f.png

mrmet1983

I went round and round with the same sound. Ultimately it was the heatshield on the exhaust crossover. See photo for fix.
This cost about $4 so it's worth a shot if any of the welds are broken. This fixed every weird creaky/tingy noise on my jeep.

jB4Ma0f.png

damn heat shields and those brake dust shields always rattle loose over time :crazyeyes:

gtony12

Caught the Bug

jB4Ma0f.png

Nice fix, my jeep rattles like crazy, just going to have to live with it:eek:

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I've had the same/similar type sound. Started after an oil change a four tire rotation. This was about 2-3 weeks ago. Got a little better after washing now is back. Don't hear it at high speed or when driving straight. Come at slower speed as slow right turns. Not so much on left. Does seem to be less if apply the brakes.

Only have 14.5k miles and it started just after the rotation. WTF.

May try the heat shield trick first. Otherwise, shit is still under warranty and will hav stealer fix. Read elsewhere could be bearings, but why that at only 14.5k.

MurderedJK

I am going to replace the rear pads today as they are getting close to needing to be replaced. While I am at it, I will try the heat shield trick as well (can't hurt). I checked the other day and all of the brake pads have the little metal clips installed so I didn't lose one somewhere. I am still on the OEM pads fronts are fine but like I said the rears are getting close. Just to clarify the clinging/tinging sound is a steady ting that does not speed up or slow down with speed. It does sound as if a brake pad is "dancing" on the rotor so I'm hoping the pad replacement solves this. :sigh:

mtnbiker995

I've had the same/similar type sound. Started after an oil change a four tire rotation. This was about 2-3 weeks ago. Got a little better after washing now is back. Don't hear it at high speed or when driving straight. Come at slower speed as slow right turns. Not so much on left. Does seem to be less if apply the brakes.

Only have 14.5k miles and it started just after the rotation. WTF.

May try the heat shield trick first. Otherwise, shit is still under warranty and will hav stealer fix. Read elsewhere could be bearings, but why that at only 14.5k.

You could have slightly bent the flange on the end of your axle shaft. I did that to my right rear shaft, but I dealt with the noise for about 30,000 miles before I finally swapped it out.

jk4x4wrangler

I am going to replace the rear pads today as they are getting close to needing to be replaced. While I am at it, I will try the heat shield trick as well (can't hurt). I checked the other day and all of the brake pads have the little metal clips installed so I didn't lose one somewhere. I am still on the OEM pads fronts are fine but like I said the rears are getting close. Just to clarify the clinging/tinging sound is a steady ting that does not speed up or slow down with speed. It does sound as if a brake pad is "dancing" on the rotor so I'm hoping the pad replacement solves this. :sigh:

I had a similar sound, do you have an after market rear driveshaft? Check the U-Joints? May need to be greased

MurderedJK

Resolved!!

Okay so I spent the day replacing the rear brake pads and front and rear diff fluids. I noticed that when taking off the rear pads, the pads were not "snug" inside the metal clips (no sure if that was the problem). I made sure to spread plenty of but not too much brake quiet on the clips, back of the pads and pressure points on the caliper. I went for a drive and.........QUIET. Not a sound! So it was probably a brake pad "dancing" on the caliper due to not having a snug fit. Anyways thanks for all the tips and advice! You guys rock :rock: I hope this is the real solution and the sound doesn't return... :driving:

Last edited:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Does it only start at 25mph. Or can you have someone walk along side you to get a more specific listen. Had a similar sound like that on my Cherokee wound up being cv joint

Top Bottom