Cost/Dificulty for Dif Seals.

BlackKnight

I think I have a leak on one of the rear dif seals. How difficult is it to replace the seals? how much would/should a shop charge?

there is oil (dif fluid, not brake) on the inside of the ebrake pads from the outer axel area, and I'm starting to sound a little crunchy in the dif (low fluid level)..

Anyone have any ideas?

The 2000 Grand Cherokee has 138K miles, and had the last dif oil change about 40K ago..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The diff covers just use RTV and it's real simple to fix that. However, what you're describing with the gear oil being on the e-brake shoes sounds more like you have an "axle seal" leak. You will need to have a new seals and bearings pressed onto the shaft and you might want to have a shop do this for you.

BlackKnight

Thanks eddy, I new how to describe, but not the "name" of the seal, if it were the dif cover I know it would have been easy.

this leak is definately out at the end where the hub for the wheel is, any idea what the cost would be? just a ball park so I don't get too screwed...

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks eddy, I new how to describe, but not the "name" of the seal, if it were the dif cover I know it would have been easy.

this leak is definately out at the end where the hub for the wheel is, any idea what the cost would be? just a ball park so I don't get too screwed...

Well, the new seal and bearings doesn't cost too much and really, all you would need the shop to do is cut off what's there and press on the new bearings. If you remove the shaft and take it to them, it'll go faster for them and cost you less money. Assuming your shop charges $80-$100 an hour, you might be looking at about a half hour job or so.

BlackKnight

Ok, figuring that they will probably charge out an hour (they want to make money of course) I can figure on somewhere sub $150-200 then. That will work. Anyplace that says over $200 I'll know exactly what to do (walk out laughing...)

Top Bottom