NEW 2014 Jeep KL Cherokee Takes on the Rubicon

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Love em or hate em, I have to say, I would have so loved to have been one of these drivers testing out the all new 2014 Jeep KL Cherokee on the Rubicon. :yup:

Jeep Cherokee Takes on the Rubcion
jeeps.jpg

Long ago, when Chrysler Corporation was still around, every 4×4 with the Jeep badge had to conquer the Rubicon trail. The requirement assured both customers and the company that their Jeep 4x4s were still serious for off-road duty (the company still sold rear wheel drive versions).

That requirement went by the wayside with the launch of the Trail Rated system, but Jeep has still taken new cars on the Rubicon, including the Grand Cherokee and, now, the 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

rubicon-trail.jpg

The Jeep Cherokee has come in for its share of ridicule by Jeep fans and others, given its front wheel drive base configuration, the Fiat origins of its basic dimensions and suspension architecture, and its nontraditional looks. These images of the Cherokee are interesting, since on the one hand serious off-roaders will immediately see and point out the lack of suspension articulation, but on the other, the vehicles are clearly overcoming obstacles un-aided, and seem to be up to the punishment of the terrain.

Critics have accused the company of “creating rock bridges” and smoothing out the trails before taking them, but it isn’t unusual for photos of off-road trails to fail to reflect the challenges. Our own photography of off-road trails has been disappointing, with the camera making sheer drops look flat. Using spotters is accepted practice on tough parts of the trail, and was done back in the AMC days as well. The company will post a video as well.

trail.jpg

Jeep Cherokee has been slammed by some for its looks, but it appears to be a love/hate vehicle, as many of those who saw it (especially in person) were very positive. Even if 70% of the public loathes the looks, of 30% of potential buyers love it, that would still be an advantage in a highly competitive field of midsize SUVs and crossovers.

Cherokee is set to start production around August, with dealerships starting to get stock in September or October, in time for the winter 4×4 selling season. Thanks, RVC.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i still not completely sold on the new look BUT like you said Eddie i would have LOVED to be one of those drivers testing it out on the trail!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Its a stock X lol
Well maybe next year! I just graduated high school and my built starts this month or next month!

I've seen it done. Stock 28" tires, no lockers and no rocker guards. It took a lot of work and it took on some good body damage but, they did do it.

bl17z90

NEW Jeep Cherokee Takes on the Rubicon

Is that the 10th anniversary rubi in the background of the 2nd picture?

mrmet1983

I loved the old Cherokees but that this is fugly looking!! It looks like a dolphin , maybe it's the new Jeep Porpoise lol smh

Sent from my JK

Heholua

I've seen it done. Stock 28" tires, no lockers and no rocker guards. It took a lot of work and it took on some good body damage but, they did do it.

The group I went with last year had some stock CJ7s with 33s and no lockers and did fine:yup:.

phillypete

So does this speak more to the capability of the Cherokee or the difficulty of the Rubicon?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So does this speak more to the capability of the Cherokee or the difficulty of the Rubicon?

The Rubicon is definitely WAY EASISER now than it's been in a long time but, it's still a challenge for a stock Wrangler and probably impassible for most other vehicle makes out there. The fact that the new Cherokee was able to run it at all, even with rock stacking, does say a lot to me. Certainly, a vast majority of people who will buy one will NEVER do anything remotely close to this anyway.

jk4x4wrangler

i would say capability. the article even mentions how pics dont do the trail justice for how hard come of the obsticles are
It's funny you say this, my buddies and I were just having a conversation about how the pics we take when we go wheeling don't do justice to what it is we are actually doing. Pretty impressive, I doubt you would see FORD out there with an Explorer or CHEVY with a Tahoe.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

It's funny you say this, my buddies and I were just having a conversation about how the pics we take when we go wheeling don't do justice to what it is we are actually doing. Pretty impressive, I doubt you would see FORD out there with an Explorer or CHEVY with a Tahoe.

I don't really think the explorer and Tahoe would be comparable to the Cherokee. But your right they would never be out there.

jk4x4wrangler

I don't really think the explorer and Tahoe would be comparable to the Cherokee. But your right they would never be out there.
Well they are not to someone like you or me, but to a lot of people out there they are, an SUV with a lot of room for kids groceries and other things :cheesy:

Top Bottom