Bushings

wvjeepin

So I have to replace my bushings, I have a Tera flex lift, is there any brand y'all might recommend ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, which bushings are you referring to? Control arm bushings and if so, is it safe to assume you have TeraFlex control arms or, are you still running factory arms? More details will allow us to help you out better. :yup:

wvjeepin

Control arms, sorry, when I bought the jeep used it already had the kit on, so don't really know if the control arms are stock or not

rinkishjk

If u mean the flex joints, there are different part #s depending on the arms, and location. Best bet is call tf and they will send u the right ones. I bought mine through Northridge, but they were shipped right from tf.
Oh, and be prepared to do them again down the road, maybe two times.
Make sure the snap ring is all the way in the grove all the way around. Trust me.

Attachments

• 1370988517013.jpg
    1370988517013.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 1370988595760.jpg
    1370988595760.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 154

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If u mean the flex joints, there are different part #s depending on the arms, and location. Best bet is call tf and they will send u the right ones. I bought mine through Northridge, but they were shipped right from tf.
Oh, and be prepared to do them again down the road, maybe two times.
Make sure the snap ring is all the way in the grove all the way around. Trust me.

Do not so this. Go with currie flex joints. The teraflex ones will not hold up to big flex. Only reason I still am running the teraflex ones is because I have extras.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, an all too common sight with TeraFlex joints. When we were running their 4" lift, we had this problem all the time. If you can, upgrading to a set of Johnny Joints would be the way to go.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, those are factory Clevite bushings. They look a bit dry rot but may still be okay. I also see you have cam bolts.

rinkishjk

Those ones for the upper arms in the axle housing u can get from quadratec for 15$ a piece. I changed mine recently. Used an air hammer and popped em right out. Crown is the maker, and I can get u the part # later if needed.
I don't think the stock arm bushings can be changed...

Attachments

• 1371053285919.jpg
    1371053285919.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 1371053300505.jpg
    1371053300505.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 77

wvjeepin

Those ones for the upper arms in the axle housing u can get from quadratec for 15$ a piece. I changed mine recently. Used an air hammer and popped em right out. Crown is the maker, and I can get u the part # later if needed.
I don't think the stock arm bushings can be changed...

Can I get the part number?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ohhhhhhh ok how can I tell my ball joints are bad

If you have a dial indicator, it will be the best way to measure ball joint play. But, there are things you can do to check it without one and, if they are really bad, you won't need one.

Here what you do:
1. From the axle, use a good floor jack to lift one of your tire off the ground. If you don't have a good floor jack, set your axle on a jack stand to hold it up securely in place.
2. From the side, place a long pry bar under the tire and have someone lift it up and down while you watch the lower ball joint for axial (up and down) movement. Any movement more than 0.050" is too much and would indicate that your ball joint is bad. Of course, if you can see this movement with your eyes, it's definitely bad.
3. Next, grab the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and try to rock it back and forth while you have someone watch the upper joint for any movement. Any radial (side-to-side) movement more than 0.060" is too much. Again, if you can see the movement with your eyes and without any dial indicator, it's probably bad as well.

Top Bottom