Splashing = Bad?

Evilidea

Looking for ideas to stop my '89 YJ from stalling whenever I go through a puddle faster than 5mph. I think it is the distributor getting wet that causes the shut down and 20 min or so wait before she'll start again but I am not sure.
Has anyone here experienced this and do you have suggestions for fixing it. Most my previous Jeeps had some sort of plastic splash guards under them but this one has nothing and I dont really see anywhere to bolt any on. I was thinking some kind of inner tube placed right would help but I am looking for any more informed suggestions that I can get.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How lifted is your Jeep and how deep is the water you're fording? Either way, yes, splashing typically is a bad thing.

jeff_in_rc

I have gone thru tire deep water, but I don't go very fast just poking along ,so I have not had your problem. Try something like this after it has dried out for a few days, spray the dist cap with WD40, a friend used to do this on his CJ and he said it helped. I read about a product called ACF-50 that boaters use for the same thing, might be worth a look.

Evilidea

3" lift running 33's. The main problem is Wyoming clay doesn't allow for even the baddest mud trucks to crawl through water. Going slow means stuck. Never had this problem with my other jeeps but like I said they had plastic underneath acting as a splash guard. The WD40 and or other water repellant sprays may be a good idea I will have to try that.

Evilidea

Anyone have any thoughts on using say like a semi inner tube to protect the stuff that shouldn't get wet. ATM this is most important as all my usual spots are flooded from snow run off and as I said above going slow is not an option. Any other ideas will be appreciated. I'm putting in a new flywheel in the next few days and then I'm ready to go and I really don't want to stall out every 100' or so.:naw:

ltdanlj

Yup, carry a bottle of WD-40 to hose down the cap and distributor if it gets water inside. Also, your cap should have an o-ring where it meets the distributor. You can try putting a layer of silicone on it as well to keep water out...

Top Bottom