Ca-Wa-Id-Nv road trip thoughts?

Magilla

The wife and I are dropping the kids off with grandparents for 2 weeks and taking a road trip. The general plan is to start in Monterey, Ca and hit the coast until Aberdeen, Wa and coming home through Idaho and Nevada. I would appreciate it if any of you could recommend scenic trails, camp sites, or breathtaking views that we should hit on the way. Keep in mind that we will be travelling solo in a stock Rubicon, so let's leave driveline-busting boulders and bottomless mud bog suggestions for another trip... So, what are you favorite places?

If you go to the Diners Drivins and Dives website they will give a couple of places to stop. There are tons of places along the coast to stop at. It has been about 20 years since I was last on the West Coast for any period of time. If you can find a Burgerville in Washington I would highly recommend it. No sure where Aberdene is but if you have not been to Mt St Helen that is a pretty cool. Please post pics along the way. I am planning a similar trip next summer after retirement.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Just to the west of the Avenue of the Giants drive on the North California coast is a place called Mattole beach. Right at the beach there is a short easy 4wd trail that takes you out to the abandoned Punta Gorda lighthouse that is right on the beach. You need to walk a short distance from the end of the trail to the lighthouse, but the scenery is awesome. Just Google Punta Gorda lighthouse.

jhires

In Washington, if you continue on north, you can go through Deception Pass, then catch the North Cascades highway east across Washington. Both have some of the most spectacular scenery to be had as far as road trips are concerned. For some recent pics of the drive across the North Cascades my wife and I took, check out the first link in my signature.

Following that road all the way across Washington, just past Colville, you could take a detour (4x4 not needed) up to Radar Dome where you will find an old abandoned radar station.

There is also tourist trap town named Winthrop, made up to look like the old west that is kind of fun to stop in.

If you are traveling across Washington State, this would be my favorite route having the least amount of grasslands and desert. Though there are several ways and many other things to see, if you feel like going a hundred miles or so out of your way, or depending on which route you choose to travel. Since my wife and I live in the Seattle area, but we both grew up and still have family in the Spokane and Colville area, we are quite familiar with making trips across Washington.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area and I'd be glad to answer.

jhires

In Washington, if you continue on north, you can go through Deception Pass, then catch the North Cascades highway east across Washington. Both have some of the most spectacular scenery to be had as far as road trips are concerned. For some recent pics of the drive across the North Cascades my wife and I took, check out the first link in my signature.

Following that road all the way across Washington, just past Colville, you could take a detour (4x4 not needed) up to Radar Dome where you will find an old abandoned radar station.

There is also tourist trap town named Winthrop, made up to look like the old west that is kind of fun to stop in.

If you are traveling across Washington State, this would be my favorite route having the least amount of grasslands and desert. Though there are several ways and many other things to see, if you feel like going a hundred miles or so out of your way, or depending on which route you choose to travel. Since my wife and I live in the Seattle area, but we both grew up and still have family in the Spokane and Colville area, we are quite familiar with making trips across Washington.

Let me know if you have any questions about the area and I'd be glad to answer.

So much to see and do here, I forget how much there is. I've lived here 45 years and haven't finished exploring it yet. Other places and things to see would include Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, Mt. Baker, and any of the associated national parks, Dry Fall, Grand Coulee Dam, Bonneville Dam, Numerous Lakes, Islands, and small towns. Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens you can drive right up to at numerous points.

Magilla

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll try and post some pics as we go. I can't wait to head out next week. Keep em' coming:thumb:

SRAYMOND68

Idaho

Idaho has more than enough easy side trips to beautiful places just get off the main highway. 3 DIFFERENT PLACES CLOSE TO TOWN. POCATELLO

Attachments

• 2011%20050.jpg
    2011%20050.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 36538_423240324391352_690451387_n.jpg
    36538_423240324391352_690451387_n.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 83
  • P8170014.jpg
    P8170014.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 83

Magilla

Here are a few pics of the rest of our trip. Visited the Goonies house in Astoria, the Cascades were breathtaking, our view of Mt. St. Helens was blocked by clouds, and we ran into a random guy at a rest area that decorated his Imperial with over 4 miles of yarn (yarncar.com).

Attachments

• cascades.jpg
    cascades.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 80
  • colombia river.jpg
    colombia river.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 76
  • cool old iron.jpg
    cool old iron.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 75
  • dinner with locals.jpg
    dinner with locals.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 77
  • eastern oregon.jpg
    eastern oregon.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 76
  • goonies house.jpg
    goonies house.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 77
  • goose lake.jpg
    goose lake.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 77
  • john day fossil beds.jpg
    john day fossil beds.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 79
  • mt st helens.jpg
    mt st helens.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 76
  • oregon trail.jpg
    oregon trail.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 76
  • winthrop.jpg
    winthrop.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 77
  • yarn car.jpg
    yarn car.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 76

jhires

... our view of Mt. St. Helens was blocked by clouds, ....

That's too bad, it really is spectacular around the area there with views of Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, and Mt Hood as well. Missed it by a week or so. Next week we should be up into the 90's.

tatonka56

Some really amazing forest roads and trails in the Naches, WA area off Hwy 410. My wife and I just went over there last week and had a great time. There's still some melting snow drifts at about the 6K foot level, but the views were 2nd to none.

2014-05-24 16.29.44.jpg
2014-05-24 20.11.45.jpg
2014-05-24 13.04.21.jpg
2014-05-24 13.04.44.jpg
2014-05-24 16.28.02.jpg

Indian Heavens Wilderness area just north of White Salmon has several natural lakes that you can hike to with a few campgrounds nearby. Used to go there a lot when I lived up that way.

Top Bottom