Winches... is there really a $1K+ difference?

NHAkita

Looking at winches for an Unlimited and the difference in price for a 10K/12K Lb is starting at $400 going up to almost $2k. Is there really that big of a difference? I'm sure there is some, but what is the limit of functionality and just Gucci-flage?
Thanks,
Paul

Indefatigable

Alot of people have their preference.

Mine is the Warn M8274. It works above its weight class. The only winch I own.

The warranty on any winch is useless if you are stuck and it is broke.

My preference is Warn. 10-20-30 years after original date of purchase, parts and service are available (regular maintenance right!). Customer service has been great. My winch is likely over 30 years old. Still runs good, though it has had some newer parts put into it as the old ones were abused to death. Parts sourced from all over (motor from Brazil???) but USA assembled.

Something to consider. A winch is a safety item. Where do you buy your safety items from? Who puts together your safety items?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, i'm a warn winch guy too. i run a powerplant on both of our JK's and they have served me well. as mentioned, customer service is top notch and really, a good warranty don't mean squat when you're on the trail and your winch ain't working.

regarding capacity, the rule of thumb is typically based on the weight of the vehicle x2. so, if you have a something like a TJ that weighs about 4,000 lbs, and 8000 winch would be more than enough. a JK is just shy of 5,000 lbs from the factory and so, a 9500 or 10000 winch will get the job done.

NHAkita

Thanks guys, So the next question...
Metal or synthetic line? Is the synthetic worth the extra or is the wire still the proven favorite?

Serg5000

NHAkita said:
Metal or synthetic line? Is the synthetic worth the extra or is the wire still the proven favorite?

They both have pros and cons. Lots of info on both. I have cable because it came with the FREE winch I was given. Personally I don't care either way.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

honestly, i think it all depends on how much you actually use it. if you use your winch very little to practically never, the steel rope that comes with will do you just fine. if you use your winch a lot, i think you'll find that working with steel starts to become scary. synthetic line will not kink, it will not burr putting painful metal splinters in your hand, it will not hold a load so it won't be dangerous to be next to if it were to break, you can tie it back together if it did break, it floats and it's very light weight. it is expensive but for me, totally worth it.

StrizzyChris

What environment are you going to be using this in? will this be sliding over rough rocks(neither do well) or exposed to a very damp climate? Steel does not fair well for long in these and will rust or fray quickly.

If its wooded area, where it will not be in as much contact with rocks, the free steel cable can hold you off until you save for that synthetic line. Be sure to use a heavy blanket to weigh down the steel line in case of breakage. Also any measures you can take to provide a sleeve around the line on areas it comes in contact with the ground, trees, etc.

From an asthetic point, nothing is sexier than a synthetic line. Buuuuut keep it covered bc most are degraded by UV rays! Post pics once you have made your purchase and mount it!

NHAkita

Kool
Thanks guys, I am in Southern NH so it is mostly for getting stuck on old roads that no one has used in a hundred years. Not a plan for any rock crawling but plenty of mud and logging roads. I don't think abrasion will be much of an issue just getting out of the hole I dug.

Paul

Top Bottom