YJ Exhaust

Evilidea

Been fixing up the YJ and have a question. ATM my exhaust is out the side under passenger door and I hate it. Now there is a local shop that could straight pipe it for me cheap and run it out the back but my zj is straight piped and wow does it make hot rods with glass packs sound quiet, not to mention scaring all the wildlife for 10 miles. Keeping in mind this YJ is extreme budget build since we are getting a new JK in next 6 months or so what suggestions for a proper, out of harms way exhaust system do you guys have.

jeff_in_rc

I went to my local muffler shop and had a custom made exhaust from manifold to tailpipe using my CAT for $300. They did a great job and it is tucked up out of the way.
They installed a Maganaflow muffler and I love the sound, not too loud and so far none of my neighbors have complained, and they complain about EVERYTHING!

If all you are doing it adding a section from mid-point to tailpipe it should not break the bank IMHO.

Evilidea

Got the new flywheel and starter installed today running good, ( well starting good at least). I did notice a fair amount of exhaust smell in the cab so I am not sure if I need to have whole thing done or not. There is no obvious cracks holes etc but the smell makes me believe that with my luck on this YJ so far... I'll be having a full custom built done. It may just be that the exhaust is running out right under passenger door but my luck says otherwise:D

New question for you, I have alot of heat coming in on me, is this fairly normal on these older YJ's? It seems that it is comming from the vents and a lil bit through the shift stick boot but I am not sure it is actually a problem or not.

firecrew1

had my buddy who owns a shop here, re do my exhaust cat and muffler back, he put on a magnaflow cat, with a spytec muffler for 350 and a lifetime warranty, sounds better and it doesnt seem to heat up the back floor panels as much as it did. thats on a TJ though

Evilidea

so the heating up is probably somewhat normal and isn't likely something I need to trouble shoot. Thats what my local shop guy said, but I don't trust him all that much usually.

jeff_in_rc

New question for you, I have alot of heat coming in on me, is this fairly normal on these older YJ's? It seems that it is comming from the vents and a lil bit through the shift stick boot but I am not sure it is actually a problem or not.

Your YJ like mine might have a problem with the heater/vent controls. One of my vacume switchs just hangs there and I only get heat from the defroster vents and not from the floor vent. No big deal, it's an open Jeep with only a bikini top. I know I have to work on this along with a dash guage issue but I am having way to much fun to tear it apart!

Evilidea

Your YJ like mine might have a problem with the heater/vent controls. One of my vacume switchs just hangs there and I only get heat from the defroster vents and not from the floor vent. No big deal, it's an open Jeep with only a bikini top. I know I have to work on this along with a dash guage issue but I am having way to much fun to tear it apart!

LOL wish that was least of problems, only working gauge is speedometer and Voltage, wires and vacuums everywhere that do nothing defrost works not sure if floor heat works cause it kicks out heat either way. When I said in another thread I been junkyard jeepin for 5-6 yrs I meant it lol. One of these days I should just rip it all out and put it back together with duct tape and mud, (worked well with my old ZJ)

jeff_in_rc

LOL wish that was least of problems, only working gauge is speedometer and Voltage, wires and vacuums everywhere that do nothing defrost works not sure if floor heat works cause it kicks out heat either way. When I said in another thread I been junkyard jeepin for 5-6 yrs I meant it lol. One of these days I should just rip it all out and put it back together with duct tape and mud, (worked well with my old ZJ)

Thats funny Evilidea! The fuel, and oil guages work but my clock, temp, and volts do not, oh well it's a YJ after all!

Top Bottom