Offroad engineering (ORE) switch panel install

Holeshot

Banned
I know Eddie already made one, but I went a different way for mounting the VCM and switch panel, And I think it may be interresting for some people looking for a different location for their switches.

So, I have ordered via email with Robert Muerrter, (who is the owner), a 6 switch panel, retailed at 325$. Customized the switches for the application I wanted.

I got a 2012 with roll-up windows so I don't have the switches for the power windows. That leaves room for "small stuff" in the little compartment under the radio head unit, which isn't very practical and collect dust more than anything else. The 6 switch panel fits right there, so this is where I decided to install mine.

here we go with the install.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This is what you get in the package
2013-05-25 09.42.56.jpg

First of all, I had to find a way to attach the panel to the compartment. I had small 90 degree brackets left in my toolbox, which comes in mudflaps package we sell at the shop. They were a perfect fit for that purpose. I only had to trim the bottom of the lower brackets as they were rubbing on the bottom of the compartment.
2013-05-25 09.59.45.jpg

To remove the compartment, you can either use a small screw driver, or your bare hands. If using the screw driver, be carefull not to scratch the dash or leave small dents on it. Pry the top first, it should come off easily.

Once done with the fitment of the brackets, mark and drill the four holes (two per side), and clean the burrs on the inside. I used a step drill bit and an exacto knife to clean the burrs.
2013-05-25 10.04.59.jpg
2013-05-25 10.05.32.jpg

Then, I used four screws that have a flat head to clear and fit between the compartment and the dash, which also comes in the mudflap kit.
2013-05-25 12.51.35.jpg

You will need to trim a little the edges to make room for the screws
2013-05-25 12.53.19.jpg

Once done, remove the panel and drill a hole where ever you want to route the logic wire throught it. I choosed to drill it on top. This way If I have to remove it for whatever reason, It's still gonna be usable. To route the logic cable, you gonna have to pop the top portion of the dash.
2013-05-25 12.51.50.jpg 2013-05-25 13.06.47.jpg

Now you need to find a location to put the VCM properly. It is written to place it on a clean, flat metal surface. You can either use the conductive tape on the back of the VCM, or screw it down in the four corners (of both if you want). The reason of this, is for heat dissipation, which help to cool down the VCM when under load. I choosed to install it under the steering column, for easy access if needed.

If you go the same route, you will have to remove the two screws that holds the plate, using a ratchet and 10mm socket. Then tape/screw the VCM to the plate. I decided to put it on the exterior, still for accessibility purpose.

Once the VCM installed and logic cable routed to the VCM location, make a loop with the extra lenght. Do not plug it at this time. It will be the last step.
2013-05-25 13.53.42.jpg 2013-05-25 13.56.01.jpg

Now it's time to do the wiring! Do not plug any of the wire to the VCM at this point, until they are all ready to be plugued.
You will need to find a source that is on only when ignition is on. I already had my CB spliced to my 12V outlet in the dash (the one with the key drawn on it, that means it is powered when ignition is on) So I spliced a wire to my CB wire to get my IGN power. You will also need a known good ground. I used the one used by the factory wiring, found on the lower part of the dash, on the driver side. see picture

2013-05-25 14.02.35.jpg
2013-05-25 15.09.53.jpg

Now, route the main power wire from the battery to the VCM, do not plug it to the fuse holder until you're all done.

2013-05-25 15.10.28.jpg

If you have a manual, you probably will need to drill a hole in the firewall. If you have an automatic, you can use the gromet on the left side of the brake booster. Use a hanger to pull the wire through. In my case, I drilled a hole on the right side of the brake booster, using a dremel and a carbide bit, and used a rubber gromet that was left in my toolbox.

2013-05-25 15.10.18.jpg

Next, start by pluging the ground wire to the VCM, on the GND terminal. Then the ignition 12v to the IGN terminal, and the 3 main power to the BAT terminals. Now you can plug the logic cable, and all the accessories you want.

2013-05-25 15.57.51.jpg 2013-06-10 17.56.32.jpg

Then finally, plug the main power wire to the fuse holder.

2013-05-25 16.03.38.jpg

And its time to test everything!

2013-06-10 20.50.40.jpg

If you do it in the day, with a significant amount of light, make sure to see the blue back lighting of the switches, it is almost imperceptible during the day. If not sure, press a button and the red indicator will turn on.

Hope this help, if you have any question feel free to ask!

If you run into trouble for some reason, email Robert at ORE, he's a real good guy and will help you troubleshooting.

The first VCM I received was defect. The switch panel wasn't lighting up and not working. I then emailed Robert on saturday night, he replied on sunday morning and told me it was the first time it ever happened. We then troubleshooted everything by emails and concluded the VCM was defect. He then told me he would send me another one under warranty.

That said, I'm very happy with the product and the service Robert has given.

:standing wave:

Here's more pictures for the interrested.
2013-05-25 10.00.29.jpg 2013-05-25 13.11.34.jpg

Last edited:

Holeshot

Banned
Nice write-up. Looks good. I did an Spod, I really like it. They are really a necessity anymore.

I installed an sPOD in my friends JK, they're nice, but takes too much room and uses too much wires IMO. It is also more expensive than the ORE panel.

:standing wave:

Serg5000

Well done. That's a great install. Almost looks like it was put there by the factory. Thank you for taking the time to post this write up. I'm sure it will serve someone well.

In5ane1

How do you install say...lights with this? It doesnt have relays does it? So do you still have to use the harness kits that comes with offroad lights?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Holeshot

Banned
this board is a solid state controler, so it has integrated circuit brakers and transistors. So no need of fuses and relays on the said light wiring. Just route it to the board and plug it. very easy install.

In5ane1

this board is a solid state controler, so it has integrated circuit brakers and transistors. So no need of fuses and relays on the said light wiring. Just route it to the board and plug it. very easy install.

Guess im confuaed vecause everythung ive seen says keep as much power out of cabin as possible in case of short. But most put this controller in cabin as opposed to say a spod that stays under hood. Not saying one is better or worse...just trying to understand.

Holeshot

Banned
in fact most of the cars have the BCM (body control module) under the dash, which mean lot of power wires are inside. And personnaly, I prefer having my module in the cabin, this way it stays clean and dry.

As long as your circuits are protected by a fuse or circuit breaker, it doesn't really matter.

In5ane1

in fact most of the cars have the BCM (body control module) under the dash, which mean lot of power wires are inside. And personnaly, I prefer having my module in the cabin, this way it stays clean and dry.

As long as your circuits are protected by a fuse or circuit breaker, it doesn't really matter.

Good points...I was confused with having no relays. So your lights plug straight into the module?

Holeshot

Banned
with a 15 amp protection you can run up to 180 watt according to ohm's law. Rigid dually are taking around 0.5 amp per light.

Last edited:

Holeshot

Banned
For example, a 50" E series light bar draw 19.9 amp for 275 watts, so you will need an additional relay for that purpose.

A sr50 draw 14,5 amps for 200 watts so you should be fine.

Top Bottom