ARB fridge question

MTG

Caught the Bug
For those of you with and ARB fridge I have some noob fridge questions:

1) do you leave it plugged in and cold year round?

2) if not how far in advance do you turn in on before using it?

3) any tips on settings or packing would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
Mike,

I usually plug mine in 30 minutes before loading it up. The longest I have left it plugged in was three weeks when one of the fridges went South and I wanted my suds cold. When on the trails I leave it plugged in all of the time, camping or otherwise. I run two yellow tops so they we run it for a long time.

For those of you with and ARB fridge I have some noob fridge questions:

1) do you leave it plugged in and cold year round?

2) if not how far in advance do you turn in on before using it?

3) any tips on settings or packing would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I plug mine in about 12-24 hours before leaving on trip. I usually set mine to 36 degrees. I pack all my drinks in the front and bottom and all food towards the top and in the high "shelf" area. You will get better at packing as you use it :thumb: it really depends on the type of food you bring. The big thing is when packing in jeep keep a fair amount of open space around the vents in the back. If not you will notice the fridge getting warm.

Besides that we love ours :yup:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Seriously, I always have issues with the plug disconnecting on the rear power outlet. I've since ran a new 12v plug direct from the battery. It worked great on the last camping trip.

Serg5000

I leave mine plugged in 24/7. I use it to keep bottled water cold in my work shop. When I plan on using it I just take out a few bottles of water then fill with food and fruit. I have mine set to 30*F all the time.

My girl found square Tupperware for us to pack our food in. It fills it in nicely without wasting space.

As far as I have read. Folks say plugging it in one day before needing it is plenty. Hope this helps.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I plug mine in overnight on 110 power, then switch it to the battery when I leave. Then I leave it plugged in all time while camping. It does seem like I need to run it at about 30 degrees so keep liquids nice and cold. It never freezes any food at that setting.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Seriously, I always have issues with the plug disconnecting on the rear power outlet. I've since ran a new 12v plug direct from the battery. It worked great on the last camping trip.

Just figured out the rear outlet sucks. Plugged in inside, runs great. Plugged into the jeep in the rear outlet works good when the jeep is running. Left overnight, the fridge gets warm. Going to try the arb outlet, unless somebody knows of a cheaper one? Going to try that before I get a better battery. Still running the factory battery.

dwvninety

I keep mine plugging in all the time in the house to store beer. When I am overlanding I have it plugged into my Yeti Goal Zero 1250 and the Goal Zero plugged into the vehicle so that it charges when the truck is on.

If you are going to be out for awhile (7-14 days out without provisioning) try not to put fruits like strawberry, grapes, celery etc as they tend to get freezer burn. I keep mine at 34 degrees with precooked meat (vacuum packed) in the very bottom and beer on top, and the rest of my meal on the refrigerated area.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just figured out the rear outlet sucks. Plugged in inside, runs great. Plugged into the jeep in the rear outlet works good when the jeep is running. Left overnight, the fridge gets warm. Going to try the arb outlet, unless somebody knows of a cheaper one? Going to try that before I get a better battery. Still running the factory battery.

Take a look at otrattw.com. They have some marine grade outlets that are inexpensive. Run good wire and an appropriate fuse. I put an outlet in the sub box of my '09 and it worked great.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Take a look at otrattw.com. They have some marine grade outlets that are inexpensive. Run good wire and an appropriate fuse. I put an outlet in the sub box of my '09 and it worked great.

You know what, I just bought that back up light set and it came with 16 awg wire and a inline 15 amp fuse. I might just look for the female socket and see what I can do. Here is the wire. Thanks for the ideas! Probably saved me 40 bucks!

Attachments

• 1403831679924.jpg
    1403831679924.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 163

MTG

Caught the Bug
Forgot I started this thread. The center console works just fine for me. :thumb:

Serg5000

Arb just came out with a new wiring kit for the frigs
That wire kit sucks man. I got one. What I found was it doesn't hold the plug in the socket at all. As a matter of fact, the cover the socket has on it has a rather tight spring and it tends to push down on the plug ultimately working it out enough to disconnect it. It is certainly not worth the money. I have not hd a chance to call ARB.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
That wire kit sucks man. I got one. What I found was it doesn't hold the plug in the socket at all. As a matter of fact, the cover the socket has on it has a rather tight spring and it tends to push down on the plug ultimately working it out enough to disconnect it. It is certainly not worth the money. I have not hd a chance to call ARB.

Is this the old design? I know they just released a new version (not sure what the difference is)

seanb123

I've been running my fridge for about a month and half now I have to say one if the big things that impressed me was the wiring from in the car the cigarette out let end that goes into the fridge is really strong and takes some muscle to pull out which is great so it doesn't come undone accidentally

Top Bottom