REMINDER : Chrysler Lifetime Warranties REQUIRE Inspections

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who were fortunate enough to buy your Jeep back when Chrysler was offering them with Lifetime Warranties, I just wanted to remind you all that an regular inspections of your Jeep is REQUIRED in order to maintain it. See article below:

Lifetime Warranties Require Inspections
reminder.jpg

Owners of cars with Chrysler’s lifetime powertrain warranty may not be covered if they fail to get their car inspected at regular five-year intervals, in accordance with the plan’s original terms.

To make it easier on customers, inspections can take place within 60 days before or after the in-service anniversary date (every five years), and are done at Chrysler’s and the dealer’s expense.

reminderThe inspections were required from the start on cars with lifetime warranties (sold from July 25, 2007 on, ending for some cars early in the 2010 model year, earlier for other cars). These warranties only apply to the first registered owner or lease-holder, even if the car is passed to another family member or employee.

There is some latitude as to when the inspections can take place — 60 days before or after the in-service anniversaries every five year — and Chrysler reminds customers, assuming their postal address is still correct.

In essence, the dealer has to have a qualified tech put the car onto a lift, check all powertrain components for leaks or damage and note any problems, drop it down and check the oil, then scan for computer fault codes. Just twelve minutes are allotted for this entire process, which seems rather short considering the time spent getting the car from the lot into the bay, inspecting it, and returning it, along with associated paperwork. Dealers cannot claim warranty payments for cars inspected out of the date window.

The lifetime warranty can be voided for certain modifications, misuse, or lack of maintenance. If any problems are found, they must be fixed or the warranty will be voided. If maintenance has not been completed, the vehicle does not fail unless a powertrain component has been damaged by the lack of maintenance.

Customers can ask for a five-year powertrain inspection worksheet, which will show either what has passed or what has failed. This is available from the DealerConnect system (if the advisor does not know about5 it, they should go to Service > Vehicle Information Plus > LPLW 5-Year Powertrain Inspection Worksheet to get a copy.) Using the worksheet is not mandatory, but customers can request it.

Oil leaks are acceptable in the case of wet gaskets or seepage, but not if oil is “actually dripping.” EGR valves are not covered unless they failed because of a larger powertrain issue.

In one interesting note, if there is a failure due to customer issues (for example, a quick oil change shop “holes” the oil filter or doesn’t put the drain plug back on properly, resulting in running without oil) which destroys the engine or transmission, the dealership can replace the engine or transmission using original Mopar parts — including a remanufactured unit — without voiding the warranty. The repair itself must be done at the customer’s expense, though.

Thus, on the positive side, Chrysler has fairly relaxed terms regarding timing of the inspections, pays for them, and allows customer or third-party abuse to be rectified without losing warranty coverage; and has fairly simple, fast, and reasonable inspections. On the down-side, lack of inspection or transfer of title void the warranty, and any problems found must be fixed by the dealership using Mopar parts. Presumably, third party repairs between inspections are acceptable, but only if Mopar parts are used.

Whole article can be found here:
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/06/lifetime-warranties-require-inspections

cuongdyna

Would this apply to the 2012 JK too? Just wondering I have this Warranty on my 2012 JK.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I asked 5 times if the lifetime warranty was available for the 2012s and they said no. Are you sure you didn't buy a "dealer lifetime warranty?" If you have a Chrysler one, I'll be PISSED and go yell at the dealer.

cuongdyna

I asked 5 times if the lifetime warranty was available for the 2012s and they said no. Are you sure you didn't buy a "dealer lifetime warranty?" If you have a Chrysler one, I'll be PISSED and go yell at the dealer.

It's from Chrysler. The service show me the Warranty when I want in for service and he show me the lifetime warranty I have from Chrysler.

Skirmish

Bought mine in May last year. Got the Chrysler lifetime warranty. Used it in November to replace my engine and cover the rental for two months.

vitodivita

I believe jeep offered unlimited power train warranty for brand new jeeps, covering only the original owner at no cost. This was for a short time.

Nowadays it's available but at a price, most affordable at initial vehicle purchase.

Moochie

The article referenced in the OP is about "lifetime power train warranties". I had one that was included with the purchase of my Jeep in 2008. It was a sales incentive with no additional cost for me.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Bought mine in May last year. Got the Chrysler lifetime warranty. Used it in November to replace my engine and cover the rental for two months.

WTF?! I bought mine in Nov of 2011!!! I asked AT LEAST 5 times if that was available. I have the 8 year, but wanted the lifetime. Scumbags. I think I'm gonna go do some yelling tomorrow. My Jeep is still under the regular factory warranty, so maybe I'll be able to get them to honor it. Technically, I can still pull 100% of my money out for the extended warranty.

MTG

Caught the Bug
WTF?! I bought mine in Nov of 2011!!! I asked AT LEAST 5 times if that was available. I have the 8 year, but wanted the lifetime. Scumbags. I think I'm gonna go do some yelling tomorrow. My Jeep is still under the regular factory warranty, so maybe I'll be able to get them to honor it. Technically, I can still pull 100% of my money out for the extended warranty.

Warranties can be purchased anywhere. They do not have to be purchased from the dealer you buy the vehicle from even. Well, I assume this is true for Chrysler. I purchased one online for my wife's Lincoln Navigator from a Ford dealer in Ohio when the local shop wouldn't budge on price. Like anything else...you have to negotiate if you want the best deal. :yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Warranties can be purchased anywhere. They do not have to be purchased from the dealer you buy the vehicle from even. Well, I assume this is true for Chrysler. I purchased one online for my wife's Lincoln Navigator from a Ford dealer in Ohio when the local shop wouldn't budge on price. Like anything else...you have to negotiate if you want the best deal. :yup:

Usually the best warranties (ones that are transferrable) must be bought when you buy a brand new vehicle. Warranties you buy after the fact are not nearly as powerful.

gyoe

my buddy has the lifetime warranty, n last summer was his 5 yr inspection... he took lift off n put stock tires back on, he had about $2,500 worth of work n didn't have to pay anything.. when he got it back he put the lift n 37's back on..

Moochie

I had my inspection last March. I didn't change anything. No problems. It has a lot to do with your relationship with the dealership.

Top Bottom