Gusset questions

Jeep4me2

I want to go to 35s on my JKU. So I'm going to add C-gussets. As you all know they're not all that expensive. I called a shop that specializes in off road vehicles. They quoted me about $400 out the door installed AND recommended I change the ball joints at the same time, because as he put it damage is pretty likely even when the installation is done carefully.

My question is if this install can be done by a competent welder who doesn't work in automotive fabrication or automotive welding. My buddy makes wrought iron fences, and he's pretty good at it. I know if I ask him to help me out he will. But would this be a mistake?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
if you have your friend do it, i would recommend that you pull the ball joints before starting the welding. there's no need to replace them as your shop suggested. if you don't, it will be hard not to damage them from the heat. there are thing you can do to mitigate the damage but, it takes a lot longer to do.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
As long as you have a ball joint press it can be done fairly easily. I just did my Dana 44 with Teraflex gussets and Dynatrac ball joints. If you gusset your dana then go the extra step and put the sleeves in it too.

Top Bottom