Rear Drive Shaft Boot

joelbarras20

It seems like on my last trip I ripped off my rear drive shaft boot, I fixing to upgrade axles and drive shafts in march. Was wondering how worried I need to be about this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to be worried so long as it's in your plans to have it replaced sooner than later.

mrmike

It seems like on my last trip I ripped off my rear drive shaft boot, I fixing to upgrade axles and drive shafts in march. Was wondering how worried I need to be about this?

Sorry to revive an old thread. Was doing a little carnage inspection after this weekends fun. Found my rear drive shaft boot is goners. How long can I get away with this?? I need to re-gear, add rear air bumps and up the rear spring rates...so I am hoping the drive shaft is going to last me a while.

I noticed too that the shaft seems to rub the tank skid plate some too. Must be all the flex you get from the coil overs (I'm running the ORE bolt-ons LCG setup).

IMG_4813.jpg

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Sorry to revive an old thread. Was doing a little carnage inspection after this weekends fun. Found my rear drive shaft boot is goners. How long can I get away with this?? I need to re-gear, add rear air bumps and up the rear spring rates...so I am hoping the drive shaft is going to last me a while.

I noticed too that the shaft seems to rub the tank skid plate some too. Must be all the flex you get from the coil overs (I'm running the ORE bolt-ons LCG setup).

Yep, mine rubbed the gas tank skid when I installed my bolt on's a couple years ago. Took care of it with a Double D long arm which stopped the severe axle swipe when flexing.

Pushrod

My front DS boot has been gone for a year now. Was going going to replace the front drive shaft shortly after it happened but bent my back one and had to replace it first, just haven't replaced the front one yet. I do oil it periodically just for the fun of it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

So long as you stay out of water, mud and dirt, it'll last a while. If you intend to keep on playing with your Jeep, not as long as the grease inside will dry up and will start to cease up. Once that happens, the bearings inside your rzeppa joints will start to take a beating and will eventually fail. I have seen it happen.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are we talking about the end joints or the spline boot in the middle of the shaft?

Looking at the pic posted, his slip shaft boot is gone. The boot is there to keep dirt, mud, water and debris out of the two halves of the shaft. Once the boot is gone, the grease that normally allows free movement of the shaft dries up and will start to cease up. Once this happens, the bearings in the rzeppa joint start to wear out faster. Once they wear out, you need a new shaft.

MTG

Caught the Bug
What about simply replacing the boot?

Good luck finding a replacement. You won't find one at the dealership anyway.

I'm thinking you could make due with some saran wrap and a couple of zip ties...at least for a while. :cheesy:

Mike--check CL for a rear DS. You can pick them up fairly cheap or even free. :thumb:

Edit: and move your skid over a couple of inches. :yup:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I've seen people buy the rebuild kits for the stock shafts that are like $150 but in my opinion that's stupid because you can get a new 1310 shaft for about $300 more.

Plus just to have it rip the next trip out. Better off just saving for a shaft.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen people buy the rebuild kits for the stock shafts that are like $150 but in my opinion that's stupid because you can get a new 1310 shaft for about $300 more.

I didn't realize that the rebuild kit came with a new slip shaft boot, just the components needed for the CV joint. That's good to know but, I agree - for $150, I would just forward that toward a new shaft.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I didn't realize that the rebuild kit came with a new slip shaft boot, just the components needed for the CV joint. That's good to know but, I agree - for $150, I would just forward that toward a new shaft.

You are correct they do not come with the boot. I just looked and the boot is like $30 and the rebuild kit is $110. So $150 total but they are separate, my mistake. Either way, waste of money.

MTG

Caught the Bug
You are correct they do not come with the boot. I just looked and the boot is like $30 and the rebuild kit is $110. So $150 total but they are separate, my mistake. Either way, waste of money.

Apparently that wasn't your only mistake. Add much? :idontknow:

Top Bottom