good old electrical problems

very inconvenient timing! headed up to the mountains got half way there and when i went to turn on the headlights all hell broke loose. instrument cluster resets all the lights come on, relays clicking on and off, gauges going crazy. Looking at it from the outside the head light and tail lights are all flickering. Its acting like it would if you were to go start it up and found the battery dead. anyway i raced back into town just as the sun went down with no lights. any ideas? its not the battery, it will power a huge stereo, run my off road lights, rock lights and fire back up time after time. terminals are clean connectors are clean. pulled out every fuse and they are good, under the hood all the big fuses are good to. seems to be a bad ground somewhere i'm thinking, or maybe the whole switch head light assembly?

any help would be appreciated

I had a similar situation with my GMC and it was the battery terminal being corroded due to an accessory wire I had on the positive side of the battery.

Well looks like I'll be making my trip up tomorrow using hand signals. I think it is the circuit board in the turn single/head light switch. Took it off and found it oozing grease which is weird. Didn't have thata few months ago when i had the dash open. Maybe the heat caused it to melt and ruin the board? I'll order up a new one Monday see what happens

Well looks like I'll be making my trip up tomorrow using hand signals. I think it is the circuit board in the turn single/head light switch. Took it off and found it oozing grease which is weird. Didn't have thata few months ago when i had the dash open. Maybe the heat caused it to melt and ruin the board? I'll order up a new one Monday see what happens

Boards just do not melt from the heat. smell the grease to see if it smells burnt. there might be a short in the panel or relay which may cause a fire.

I do not like messing with trons because I can't see them. Oil, hydrauic fluid, gas and radiator fluid I can see so I know where not to touch. Keep us posted on what the outcome is.

hmm might have a point there because now on my drive back everything works fine like there was never a problem :thinking: back to the drawing board. this could be a real pita

Update: turned out to be a bad ground coming from the body control module. Rethinking it over the switch circuit board is not in an area to just melt as mentioned above so I pulled up the writing book for the Wj. Traced the switch wires to the body control module then the ground from that. Sure enough the nut backed off creating loose ground.

Last edited:
Top Bottom