Axle shafts?

xflstl

I am finally about to get my rig back from Burnsville offroad, Currie D60 in front G2 D60 rear. My question is, I like to carry spare front and rear shafts at all times, so what to get...

My plan currently is to get RCV's for the front and use the currie shafts as spares, the back im not sure, I might get some rcv brand rear shafts as they are an exceptional company for covering there warranty..

Opinions? Good or bad plan on the front and or rear?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You definitely want to carry spare rear shafts. Grandpa Randy runs Rock Jock 60's on his rig and has blown quite a few. I personally can count of at least 3 he's busted, 2 on the JK-Experience and once out in Johnson Valley. Don't know if a set of semi-float RCV's will be enough to do the job but, at least you'll get your moneys worth with them. Up front, I'd save your money. If you do break an RCV, it won't be at the joint - more likely on the shaft deep inside the housing and you won't be able to use a spare anyway.

xflstl

You definitely want to carry spare rear shafts. Grandpa Randy runs Rock Jock 60's on his rig and has blown quite a few. I personally can count of at least 3 he's busted, 2 on the JK-Experience and once out in Johnson Valley. Don't know if a set of semi-float RCV's will be enough to do the job but, at least you'll get your moneys worth with them. Up front, I'd save your money. If you do break an RCV, it won't be at the joint - more likely on the shaft deep inside the housing and you won't be able to use a spare anyway.

So for the front you would suggest? Just a set of regular spare shafts, and have the better u-joints in them as well as the set I will be running?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So for the front you would suggest? Just a set of regular spare shafts, and have the better u-joints in them as well as the set I will be running?

I like to carry only what I need to get off the trail. When you break a rear semi-float shaft, you're kind of up a creek without a paddle unless you have a spare shaft. I do say when because if you really play hard with 40's or bigger, you WILL break them even with 60 shafts. Having said that, when you break a front shaft, you can still get off the trail and therefore, I think you'd be fine not having a spare with you.

GCM 2

You definitely want to carry spare rear shafts. Grandpa Randy runs Rock Jock 60's on his rig and has blown quite a few. I personally can count of at least 3 he's busted, 2 on the JK-Experience and once out in Johnson Valley....

That's why on the last years JKX, we all loved the fact that Randy B. did the aftermarket weld-on full float mod to his Rock Jock 60's. Guess what he made the whole event without snapping one, which absolutely validates all your comments here. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's why on the last years JKX, we all loved the fact that Randy B. did the aftermarket weld-on full float mod to his Rock Jock 60's. Guess what he made the whole event without snapping one, which absolutely validates all your comments here. :thumb:

Now that you mention it, Randy didn't break an axle at the last JKX :yup:

Top Bottom