Installed Rancho 2" lift... got 3"... am I ok?

fredfunk

Too Much Lift!!!

Hey, my first post!
This forum is great... much more technical/useful than some of the other ones out there! I love the writeups too.

So, I installed the Rancho 2" sport lift on my 2013 2dr 6-speed JK and got a little more lift than I bargained for. According to the following diagram, I am sitting at just over a confirmed 3" of lift from stock.
stock jk height.png
20130618_214926.jpg

I measured my castor angle to be ~5 degrees.
20130618_214809.jpg

My front driveshaft does not appear to be at a very steep angle, and it is resting ~1.125" above the exhaust pipe.
20130618_215157.jpg 20130618_215321.jpg 20130618_215439.jpg

The rear driveshaft appears to be at a much steeper angle, though I only added the .75" spacer so it should be only .75" of lift
rear driveshaft.jpg

After installing the lift, I did not need to recenter the steering wheel. I drives just about the same as stock, although I seem to feel a slight hesitation when starting from a dead stop. I mean SLIGHT and it may be my imagination but the transmission feels just a tiny bit more lurchy than before (it always felt a little like this and it may not even be a difference, but you always notice things more when you're looking!).
20130618_214641.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The lift should settle a bit with time. Even if it doesn't, you should be fine for a while with your rear shaft and, so long as your front shocks are short enough, your drive shaft shouldn't get damaged.

Thanks eddy, this is a great site and you have a lot of information here! One last question, what angle should my sway bar end links sit at? I am planning to move the rears to the front and then weld an extension on the fronts and move them to the rear. But I forgot to take a picture of them in stock configuration so im not sure how much to extend.

bl17z90

You want your sway bar to sit as parallel to the ground as possible. if it faces upwards or downwards too much it can actually flip over and that would just ruin your entire day.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You want your sway bar to sit as parallel to the ground as possible. if it faces upwards or downwards too much it can actually flip over and that would just ruin your entire day.

Not exactly. The ideal position is to have it slightly above parallel but IF you have a Rubicon with an e-disco, it needs to sit as high as needed to prevent getting over extended when disconnected.

fredfunk

So... I need the ends of the swaybar to be slightly higher than the bar itself at rest?
Thanks for all the help!

Top Bottom