Installed Our Evo Rock Skins. :)

onbelay

Someone asked me about the fit & finish of our Evo Rock Skins. I figured why not post here? I uploaded high-res close-ups of the skins after installation, and then a few smaller pictures of activities during the install. I HIGHLY recommend buying a tool such as the Westward 5TUW5 to crimp the nutserts.

Note that most of the excess silicon has been removed since these pictures were taken.

Sorry if the pictures are too big, or if this is in the wrong thread. :)

-Dawn

Some shots of the fit & finish:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Drilling into our perfectly good sheetmetal ... this was scary ...
drilling.jpg

What did we just do?!
drilled.jpg

Placing the nutsert into the newly-drilled hole. It required gentle use of a hammer:
nutsert_placement.jpg

The nutsert after placement into the sheetmetal, but before being crimped:
nutsert_before.jpg

The nutsert, after threading our Westward nutsert tool. This is before crimping:
nutsert_during.jpg

What a nutsert looks like from the side after being crimped:
nutsert_after.jpg

What a nutsert looks like from the front after being crimped:
nutsert_crimped.jpg

No turning back now. Look at all of those nutserts!
all_nutserts.jpg

Prepping for paint:
paint_prep.jpg

Painting our pinch seam and wheel wells. Otherwise, the silver body paint would protrude beneath the skins and look kinda weird:
painting.jpg

Caulking:
caulking.jpg

Done!
done.jpg

done2.jpg

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Job well done! They look great and it looks like you guys did a great job installing! Congrats! :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Having a good nutsert tool is the key to this install (same with installing the EVO corners).

Anyone have a line on a good nutsert tool? The ones on Amazon have mediocre reviews (they seem to break easily) and the big boy professional ones cost a fortune.

onbelay

Anyone have a line on a good nutsert tool? The ones on Amazon have mediocre reviews (they seem to break easily) and the big boy professional ones cost a fortune.

We used the Westward 5TUW5. You can find it for $100 on Amazon, including free shipping. The cheepo tools can be had for $30-$40, but you will most likely break one of them.

sfrubicon

True on the harbor freight tools, 18 bucks and it took me 4 for to do the skins and rear corners, thank god for lifetime warranty.

Top Bottom