New auto vs manual 6 spd

Rubiwho

I know there is a write up some where and people hammer on this all day, but getting ready to order a 2014 JKUR and was wonder if I should stick with the 6spd ( i have a 2012 JKU 6spd now) or become an automatic jeep owner. As far as durability which one will last long and take more of a beating. I know automatics are easier to drive off road and manuals are cheaper to fix. Is it still just pure preference? Eddie if you see this do you ever wish Rubicat was a 6spd.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have always wheeled a manual and love it but, I am really starting to appreciate wheeling an auto as it really is so much easier. In fact, it's a big part of why we're installing an auto in Moby to go with his new motor. You should know that fixing a manual tranny isn't cheap, ask me how I know.

cuongdyna

I have an auto and my friend had 6 speed manual and how have an auto. He said it was a good decision that he went with the auto.

hillybilly

Yup. Same same. Had manuals all my life (I'm a 44 yr ol' kid so says the wife). Went with the auto in my 2012. No regrets whatsoever. Holds chosen gear fantastically in manual mode... drives my wife crazy when I regress about 20 years and slap through the gears. Here in West by God Virginia manuals have always been nice for holding back downhill while ridge running. No issues holding back with this setup. I have a Rubi so the 4 to 1 t-case helps somewhat I'm sure. IMHO I think it's the best of both. Can hold gears and compression brake like a manual, and have the finesse and convenience of the auto.

hillybilly

One more thing. Jeep and Dodge have been running them behind the hemi's from the factory. That was another reason I went with the auto... from a durability standpoint.

Top Bottom