PDA

View Full Version : Giving Some Love to Factory Skidplates!!

wayoflife
04-24-2012, 02:06 AM
http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=277126

I always hear people talk about how much the factory skidplates suck, how inadequate they are and how important it is to install heavy and expensive aftermarket replacements. And, truth be told, I just don't get it. I mean, I'm totally on board with protecting vital parts on your Jeep that come with little to no protection at all, such as the oil pan on all JK's, the automatic transmisson sump pan on 2011-up JK's and even a very exposed transmission cooler line on 2012-up, but I simply have not seen any need to replace what you already get for free from the factory. Sure, things like your gas tank, transfer case or automatic transmission skid plate may get beat to all hell and may not look real pretty after a lot of wheeling but, in the over 5 years we've been punishing the 4 JK's we've owned, I have yet to see any of them fail. In fact, I have yet to see or hear of any factory skid fail on any of the JK's that join us on our runs or, even online for that matter.

Having said all that, I'd like to take a moment and give some love to the under-appreciated factory skidplates. They are provided for FREE from the factory, do not add extra weight, do not hide leaks that you want to see, don't trap in excessive amounts of heat like aftermarket skids do, are easy to remove and because of it, allow for easy access to service your transmission and transfer case. Again, I would be the first to recommend protection of vital parts on your Jeep such as your oil pan and transmission on newer JK but, only because they come with little to no protection at all.

I'm sure there will be people out there who will go on and on about how wrong I am but, I'm the kind of guy who prefers to go off of what I've seen and not what I imagine can happen. :cool:

wayoflife
04-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Look Ma, no aftermarket skid plates!!

Yep, even EVO 1 has always run factory skids. Here's a shot of them back when it was still back and on the UA representing Hobart...
http://www.offroadevolution.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2471&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=7e94c1273c40a9c4f80a919b3820b234

Of course today, they no longer have a factory gas tank but, they still aren't running any aftermarket skids...
http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=269420

iellouis
04-24-2012, 02:27 AM
Like a Boss! That's all i have to say :clap2:

dremex
04-24-2012, 02:32 AM
My only issue with the stock skids are how exposed the bolts are. Constantly dragging them over rocks tends to cause the heads of the bolts to get crushed. Numerous times I've had to take the dremel to the side of a bolt to trim it down so I can get a socket on it.

A lot of the aftermarket skids have a recessed bolt so rocks can slide over them without causing any damage.

wayoflife
04-24-2012, 02:37 AM
My only issue with the stock skids are how exposed the bolts are. Constantly dragging them over rocks tends to cause the heads of the bolts to get crushed. Numerous times I've had to take the dremel to the side of a bolt to trim it down so I can get a socket on it.

A lot of the aftermarket skids have a recessed bolt so rocks can slide over them without causing any damage.

and that's a totally fair point to make. but still, i'd rather have the option to use a file or dremel to make those bolts useable again than to have to deal with flush pan head allen bolts. while they provide a smooth surface, i have seen where they too can still get damaged and then, not even a dremel can get them out. if it's that important, i suppose you could always installing the bolt head protectors like what rock hard uses on their skids or like what OMF uses on their bead locks.

JeepFan
04-24-2012, 02:41 AM
I couldn't agree more. Mine has taken plenty of hits over the years and it hasn't let me down.

I like to think of the dings and scratches as badges of honor. Nothing a flat black rattle can cant handle.

Save your money and show your factory skids plates some love.

dremex
04-24-2012, 02:42 AM
and that's a totally fair point to make. but still, i'd rather have the option to use a file or dremel to make those bolts useable again than to have to deal with flush pan head allen bolts. while they provide a smooth surface, i have seen where they too can still get damaged and then, not even a dremel can get them out. if it's that important, i suppose you could always installing the bolt head protectors like what rock hard uses on their skids or like what OMF uses on their bead locks.

That's a great idea, for some reason it never occurred to me to try and buy head protectors as a stand alone part! I think I'll have to try and track some of these down and give them a trial run this year.

NAUJK
04-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Thanks for posting this WOL! Ive always kinda felt bad for my factory skid being soo smashed to all heck! But then I watched your videos and noticed that yours and the peoples that run with you are too.
Mine look pretty (actually prolly really bad :crazyeyes:) bad these days but I am glad to have them!

Thank you Factory Skids!:thumb:

Do you do anything to them, anti-rust stuff or just let them be as is?

I dont know what happened, but my brother had a huge dent in his skid that was pushing up on the gas tank and it broke some kind of bracket somewhere tho, but the skids still work amazingly!

Drumr90
04-24-2012, 03:34 AM
This is a real good topic ive always thought about. People have always told me first get rid of the stock skids for some aftermarket ones. Thanks everyone for postin about the stock ones being good skids. Then when i get me a jeep i want be afraid of hittin the skid.

wayoflife
04-24-2012, 03:46 AM
Do you do anything to them, anti-rust stuff or just let them be as is?

out here in socal, things like rust are a non-issue but, i still hit the bottom of the skids with some frame paint from time to time. just to pretty them up ;)

This is a real good topic ive always thought about. People have always told me first get rid of the stock skids for some aftermarket ones. Thanks everyone for postin about the stock ones being good skids. Then when i get me a jeep i want be afraid of hittin the skid.

well, i'll tell you, if i ever have any problems with my skids, i'd be the first to tell you. in the mean time, i just hope to save you some money so that you can invest it in things that you really need. :yup:

Jeep4me2
04-24-2012, 05:44 AM
Awesome, something I won't have to upgrade!

GCM 2
04-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I found a bad combination of events and products to make the oem gas tank skid not so great. We came down right on a boulder and popped the spot welds holding one of the braces on the skid, that alone probably would still be okay but since we're running the adapter plates on our DS they rubbed against the skid leaving metal shavings all over the trail.

Frank, I would swear that you took that photo under my JK! I have the identical battle scar :crazyeyes:

Serg5000
04-24-2012, 12:34 PM
My skids have some good scars but seem to be holding up well.

Shadow's_Jeep
05-05-2012, 03:14 PM
I think only skidplate I need to add on mine is the oil pan skidplate.

wayoflife
05-22-2012, 09:02 PM

Now, I would be the first to say that both skidplates did their job of protecting the transfer case. The only difference is that one came on the JK from the factory at no additional cost and, the other will cost you an additional $315 while offering NO better protection. I'm just sayin...

GCM 2
05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Now, I would be the first to say that both skidplates did their job of protecting the transfer case. The only difference is that one came on the JK from the factory at no additional cost and, the other will cost you an additional $315 while offering NO better protection. I'm just sayin...

I saw a few of the response on Project JK's Facebook page to this same posting. I'm still amazed at how many people think that it's almost an absolute must to go with full skids to be able to go anywhere offroad in a JK. Also amazing is the perception that running 40" tires equates to the reason you get away with running factory skids. The 40"s only help getting thru unscathed in the rocks that 35"s have trouble in, but the terrain I have personally seen you traverse only a hovercraft or helicopter gets thru without scraping something :crazyeyes:

wayoflife
05-22-2012, 10:32 PM
I saw a few of the response on Project JK's Facebook page to this same posting. I'm still amazed at how many people think that it's almost an absolute must to go with full skids to be able to go anywhere offroad in a JK. Also amazing is the perception that running 40" tires equates to the reason you get away with running factory skids. The 40"s only help getting thru unscathed in the rocks that 35"s have trouble in, but the terrain I have personally seen you traverse only a hovercraft or helicopter gets thru without scraping something :crazyeyes:

it really is too funny to hear. of course the logic is that with bigger tires, the belly of your jeep is further away from the rocks that would otherwise damage it but what these naysayer fail to realize is that we just play on much bigger and more technical rocks. if anything, with 40's, i have hit the bottom of my jeep more and harder than ever before but hey, not like i need to convince you of anything. :crazyeyes:

what i don't get is that i am honestly trying to save people money by providing good and accurate information. perhaps with the money they save, they could get things they really could use like rocker guards, new tires, new gears, etc. unfortunately, there are people who are determined to believe what they want to believe and really, that's fine by me :yup:

Impostr
05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Didnt Rubicat have EVO ProTek skids? Just sayin...

I personally run Clayton skids because with a long arm, my oil pan and transmission pan are nice and open for anything to hit them. Gives me the comfort of knowing they'll be relatively protected in case my dumb moves land me in the wrong situation...

wayoflife
05-22-2012, 11:06 PM

only to protect what doesn't come protected from the factory - NOT to "replace" anything with aftermarket skids as it's clearly not necessary. if you had read the original post, you would know as much - just sayin ;)

I personally run Clayton skids because with a long arm, my oil pan and transmission pan are nice and open for anything to hit them. Gives me the comfort of knowing they'll be relatively protected in case my dumb moves land me in the wrong situation...

an oil pan skid is something that i highly recommend as the JK doesn't come with one from the factory. on a 2012, the automatic transmission doesn't come protected either and so i would also recommend protecting it as well. if you have an 07-11, i personally prefer the rock krawler HD deep sump pan for protection as it not only works well, it allows you to run more fluid for better cooling and steeper operating angles and comes with a drain plug. it's what we ran on nemo and is a much better solution than any other aftermarket skid option available today. but hey, that's just my opinion.

GCM 2
05-22-2012, 11:08 PM

I decided against the full skids for two reason and simply augmented the oil pan with a Rancho cover and the trans pan with a Rock Krawler deep sump replacement heavy duty skid pan. I will say that the Rock Krawler piece is a great idea, just poorly manufactured. Reason 1- I saved a ton of sprung weight and lessened heat retention going the pan reinforcement route. Reason 2- any repairs between the underbody and the skids (especially on the trail when the jeep is hot) can seriously be a hassle trying to remove full skids that have chewed up bolt heads.

wayoflife
05-22-2012, 11:13 PM
I decided against the full skids for two reason and simply augmented the oil pan with a Rancho cover and the trans pan with a Rock Krawler deep sump replacement heavy duty skid pan. I will say that the Rock Krawler piece is a great idea, just poorly manufactured. Reason 1- I saved a ton of sprung weight and lessened heat retention going the pan reinforcement route. Reason 2- any repairs between the underbody and the skids (especially on the trail when the jeep is hot) can seriously be a hassle trying to remove full skids that have chewed up bolt heads.

thos are 2 very well stated reasons and couldn't agree more. i thought it was especially telling how both you and mel were able to take on the big, near vertical waterfall on axle alley without loosing your transmission while dave (no RK deep sump pan) was not able to.

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=278132

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=278042

GCM 2
05-22-2012, 11:23 PM
thos are 2 very well stated reasons and couldn't agree more.

Eddie, unfortunately sometimes we learn the hard way (or at least I do occasionally). Just trying to pass on valid facts my man :beer:

Edit: and btw, I keep forgetting the couple that heard our JK's in the canyon and showed up on the razor atv to check it out (the guy in blue just visible behind my JK) and how they laughed at us sizing up the obstacle......until we all drove up and over that waterfall!

Prime8
05-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Eddie, read your posts about this on the jk forum. Very informative. Thanks for dropping some knowledge on us. I was considering the protek system, but you just saved me 500 bucks! All I've protected thus far is the evap with the PSC cover. The other you recommend is oil pan?

wayoflife
05-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Eddie, read your posts about this on the jk forum. Very informative. Thanks for dropping some knowledge on us. I was considering the protek system, but you just saved me 500 bucks! All I've protected thus far is the evap with the PSC cover. The other you recommend is oil pan?

yep, an oil pan skid is definitely something i would recommend and if you have an 07-early 10, you should be good with that. if you had a late 10-12, i would recommend some kind of protection as the none was provided from the factory. if you have a late 10-11, i would still recommend the rock krawler HD deep sump pan over a skid plate and, if you have a 12, i would highly recommend the evo protek skid plate - just protects what you need and nothing else.

wayoflife
04-24-2014, 04:18 PM
With all the talk of aftermarket skid plates that I have been seeing recently, I thought this old thread was worth a bump and yes, I am STILL running factory skid plates :D

JeepFan
04-24-2014, 04:35 PM
With all the talk of aftermarket skid plates that I have been seeing recently, I thought this old thread was worth a bump and yes, I am STILL running factory skid plates :D

X2! ^^^^ :yup: The only skids I added are the EVO Protek skids for the engine and trans pan and they have saved my Jeep more than once. As for the factory skid plates, they do exactly what they were designed to do...

JayKay
04-24-2014, 04:41 PM

You could plant a garden in the amount of dirt and moisture that aftermarket skid would hold :crazyeyes:

jnabird333
04-24-2014, 05:09 PM
I have the Protek system. Protecting the oil pan was my biggest concern. The second being the exhaust cross-over and loop (12+). (Side note, my Jeep didn't come with the little bar to protect this.) I know there are plenty of guys running without this and their Jeep still runs fine with it all dented up, but I sleep better knowing it's down there :D. I actually wasn't that worried about the transmission since I have a manual, but went with the skid anyway because I thought it might help prevent me from getting hung up should a rock or stump find it's way there.

Having said all this. The only skid plates that have seen action are the crossmember, t-case, and gas tank. Only VERY light scratches on the transmission and oil pan skids.

Even though I try to avoid it. I have mud in my area, and lots of it. I also have winter salted roads. I have found the Protek+Stock skids clean VERY easily. So, not only are the lighter from the start, but they don't gather a bunch of crap and hold it either. I worked on a buddys Jeep that had a full belly pan type system and I shit-you-not, It took both of us to carry the skids out to the yard to clean the gunk they were holding on the top. (It filled a wheelbarrow!)

But hey, I like everybody buying aftermarket replacement skids. I bought a perfect stock t-case and gas tank skid for $20 at a swap meet. Not that I will be replacing them anytime soon....

cozdude
04-24-2014, 05:22 PM
great thread! this is one i didnt know about. if he gass tank skid can hold up to everything you have thrown at it im sure mine will be well "clearanced" for a long time with no issues

mrmet1983
04-24-2014, 05:42 PM
I agree my stock gas tank skid and tcase skid take a beating and hold up just fine but the oil pan and tranny def need skids

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

TheStick
04-24-2014, 05:44 PM
'13 JKU and my only add has been the Rock Hard Oil pan/Transmission skid (was a little late with this as my oil pan has a nice dent in it :naw: ). I am with you and have no plans replacing the gas tank or T-Case skids. They have done their job. My question is with other areas that are still not protected.

Exhaust loop
Resonator
EVAP to a point although it does have a dinky skid on it (saw one ripped off on the trail)

Any consideration to protecting these, or just not worth the $/effort?

NFRs2000NYC
04-24-2014, 06:57 PM
Agreed. I wouldn't bother with anything more than protek skids or something similar. Just cover the vulnerable areas and call it a day.

Also, just a note, the stock oil pan, while technically not "protected", they did put thought into it....most stock oil pans on most vehicles I have owned have been aluminum. Aluminum cracks when hit, but on the wrangler, they used a stamped steel plate, which will dent, and keep the oil in. Now sure, it's possible to puncture, and I agree that adding a skid is is great, but even the stock pan is nothing to sneeze at for the casual wheeler.:thumb:

jeeeep
04-24-2014, 07:48 PM
does Rock Krawler still make the HD tranny pan?

Tcdawg
04-24-2014, 08:23 PM
does Rock Krawler still make the HD tranny pan?

I don't believe they do. I was trying to get one late last year and RK said they were not in production anymore.

Jeep_Dawg08
04-24-2014, 08:34 PM
As I only have a jkuX anyone wanna part with their stock skidplates.. lol

●|||||||●

TheStick
04-24-2014, 08:40 PM
As I only have a jkuX anyone wanna part with their stock skidplates.. lol

They all come with the same skid plates, X, Sport, Sahara, Rubicon. All the same.

newtdog
04-24-2014, 09:54 PM
I've only added the EVAP skid. I also feel like having the stock ones all beat up is like earning a badge of honor. When I have to take it to the stealership, I want the guy to get under and say....now this guy wheels!!!

2010 MANGO TANGO SPORT JKU🇺🇸

Flyer
04-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Looking at skid plates and researching type of steel, access to oil plug, bolting areas, etc. Some good choices out there. The factory plates seem very thin, though they will certainly protect to a certain degree. I am less afraid of scrapes and more concerned about landing on a tree stump or rock after going over an obstacle. My buddy just picked up the Rockhard ones, after eliminating the EVO and Synergy ones. I think River Raider is another option out there. Any idea how much the factory ones weigh, versus the typical aftermarket ones?

wayoflife
04-24-2014, 11:14 PM
The factory plates seem very thin, though they will certainly protect to a certain degree. I am less afraid of scrapes and more concerned about landing on a tree stump or rock after going over an obstacle.

How about slamming into a rock like what you see on this video at 0:51 and then again at 0:54...

https://vimeo.com/67652966

:yawn37: This is just one of the countless times my thin and weak gas tank skid has taken a hit like this or harder over the last 7+ years.

My buddy just picked up the Rockhard ones, after eliminating the EVO and Synergy ones. I think River Raider is another option out there. Any idea how much the factory ones weigh, versus the typical aftermarket ones?

The River Raider ones are one of the worst aftermarket skid plate systems I have seen to date and the photo I showed earlier with the T-case skid bent up after one wheeling trip is theirs. On top of that, their fitment sucks and are near impossible to remove when the bolts heads get damaged and or rusted over. Of course, you can forget about doing a quick check for leaks or making quick fluid changes. As far as the Rockhard ones go, they are a lot tougher but being that the gas tank skid mounts OVER the factory skid, you are ADDING all that extra weight without removing any of it.

Jeep_Dawg08
04-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Ah ok... I didn't realize that all jk came with the same skids. I thought that the Rubis would have more..
Good info to know.
Ty

●|||||||●

StrizzyChris
04-24-2014, 11:28 PM

Thanks for digging up that video...I always laugh when I see Mel manually pulling Greg over :cheesy:

Flyer
04-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Good points, and noted. I am not in a rush (like next week rush) so will keep looking at skids. With the factory skids, I am still ready for the easy- trails at Moab and all the trails near Ouray, Marble, Telluride, Aspen. Done enough to the Jeep for now. I must say that those EVO coilovers I see, keep calling my name though. Just so tempting. Anyway, back to skids...

How about slamming into a rock like what you see on this video at 0:51 and then again at 0:54...

:yawn37: This is just one of the countless times my thin and weak gas tank skid has taken a hit like this or harder over the last 7+ years.

The River Raider ones are one of the worst aftermarket skid plate systems I have seen to date and the photo I showed earlier with the T-case skid bent up after one wheeling trip is theirs. On top of that, their fitment sucks and are near impossible to remove when the bolts heads get damaged and or rusted over. Of course, you can forget about doing a quick check for leaks or making quick fluid changes. As far as the Rockhard ones go, they are a lot tougher but being that the gas tank skid mounts OVER the factory skid, you are ADDING all that extra weight without removing any of it.

Strike Force Zebra
04-25-2014, 01:45 AM
I have to give a +1 to the RK Deep Sump Tranny pan. The first time running Pritchett canyon and behind the rocks in Moab, my tranny would crap out. Had to winch up most big stuff. Now I have the fluid to keep my tranny running AND have protection!!!

Road_king
04-25-2014, 01:57 AM
I took to heart what Wayoflife says about the factory skids 5 years ago. Mine are beat to hell but doing their job quite nicely!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wayoflife
04-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Good points, and noted. I am not in a rush (like next week rush) so will keep looking at skids. With the factory skids, I am still ready for the easy- trails at Moab and all the trails near Ouray, Marble, Telluride, Aspen. Done enough to the Jeep for now. I must say that those EVO coilovers I see, keep calling my name though. Just so tempting. Anyway, back to skids...

If you skip getting aftermarket skids you really don't need, you'll have more money to get EVO coil overs that you really want. In a way, this was the whole point of starting this thread - to give love to the ever under appreciated FACTORY skids.

wayoflife
04-25-2014, 02:10 PM
I have to give a +1 to the RK Deep Sump Tranny pan. The first time running Pritchett canyon and behind the rocks in Moab, my tranny would crap out. Had to winch up most big stuff. Now I have the fluid to keep my tranny running AND have protection!!!

The extra fluid alone is totally worth it to me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they still sell their pan.

I took to heart what Wayoflife says about the factory skids 5 years ago. Mine are beat to hell but doing their job quite nicely!

Imagine that :D

jeeeep
04-25-2014, 02:11 PM
only thing I'm looking to replace at this point is the cross member - seems to take its fair share of hits :thinking:

wayoflife
04-25-2014, 02:15 PM
only thing I'm looking to replace at this point is the cross member - seems to take its fair share of hits :thinking:

Well, in all fairness, the cross member isn't a skid plate - it's a cross member :crazyeyes:

But to you point, yes, it will take a beating and I've replaced mine with a Poison Spyder HD one and will be doing the same on Rubicat. While they will do much better, the only problem I've seen with them is that they transfer the load down the line and to the weak frame rail mounts. Even before I replaced the one on Moby, I had already had to repair cracks in my mounts more than once. Fortunately, my EVO long arm brackets have since helped to reinforce these points.

Strike Force Zebra
04-25-2014, 02:27 PM
The extra fluid alone is totally worth it to me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they still sell their pan.

When I ordered mine last year they said they were no longer making them. After calling a few more times to try to talk them into making one for me, they finally gave in and made me one! Had to sit patiently for 6 weeks but worth it.

HDGasser
04-25-2014, 02:43 PM

You still running the factory Trans skid?

Only reason I ask is cause I shoved mine hard enough up come in contact with my aftermarket drive shaft and trashed it.

I got a new drive shaft I'm putting in but having 2nd thoughts about slapping on the same damn skid and doing the same thing to another DS.

It has been cut up A little to clear it... But obviously not enough and it tried "self clearencing" :(

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll380/hdgasser/9A381627-3739-47F7-A7E7-4E257ACF8FA7.jpg (http://s313.photobucket.com/user/hdgasser/media/9A381627-3739-47F7-A7E7-4E257ACF8FA7.jpg.html)

wayoflife
04-25-2014, 02:51 PM
You still running the factory Trans skid?

Only reason I ask is cause I shoved mine hard enough up come in contact with my aftermarket drive shaft and trashed it.

I got a new drive shaft I'm putting in but having 2nd thoughts about slapping on the same damn skid and doing the same thing to another DS.

It has been cut up A little to clear it... But obviously not enough and it tried "self clearencing" :(

Yup, I posted up the following pic in post #27 and the lower image is my t-case skid or, I should say was up until recently as I now have an Atlas 2-speed that I got with my LS swap. Nothing factory would work anymore.

http://wayalife.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=80243&d=1398356052

As you can see, the skid is bowed a little but nothing quite as bad as what you have and certainly, not any worse than what an expensive aftermarket skid would look like. A cheap harbor freight press can fix that for you.

HDGasser
04-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Wake up Eddie!!:yawn37:

Transmission skid my man, not the transfer case skid.

As you can see in post #50 of the pictures I posted.;)

HDGasser
04-25-2014, 03:23 PM
You know what, I just realized that yours was a stick before the swap right?

You never had that skid I tweakered. You just did the Trans pan...

10-4

What do you have now for the Trans/engine skid? Only bolt on option for a hemi is the RR but I will pass on those.

Contemplating the rockhard and gonna have to fab up some front mounts I guess?

wayoflife
04-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Wake up Eddie!!:yawn37:

Transmission skid my man, not the transfer case skid.

As you can see in post #50 of the pictures I posted.;)

:cheesy: Sorry about that, I read a bit too fast and only looked at the thumbnail pic on my phone before posting :crazyeyes:

You know what, I just realized that yours was a stick before the swap right?

You never had that skid I tweakered. You just did the Trans pan...

10-4

What do you have now for the Trans/engine skid? Only bolt on option for a hemi is the RR but I will pass on those.

Contemplating the rockhard and gonna have to fab up some front mounts I guess?

Yeah, was running a manual before the swap and so I wasn't running a skid for it. Now, I am currently running nothing. I may get something custom made for it but, I may not. I know that Mel has been running EVO 1 without anything for quite some time now and without any problems.

HDGasser
04-25-2014, 04:00 PM
:cheesy: Sorry about that, I read a bit too fast and only looked at the thumbnail pic on my phone before posting :crazyeyes:

Yeah, was running a manual before the swap and so I wasn't running a skid for it. Now, I am currently running nothing. I may get something custom made for it but, I may not. I know that Mel has been running EVO 1 without anything for quite some time now and without any problems.

Cool deal

I'm still rockin the rest of the factory skids... Beat to crap but still truckin.

I'll finger something out, not sure what damage woulda been done had that skid plate not been there. For all I know I probably wouldn't have had to buy a new DS!:doh:

hlax2525
04-25-2014, 04:01 PM
So for right now, it is not necessary to get the whole pro-tek system from evo, but I only need the oil pan skid? I would love to get some skids before I start to wheel, but not sure

wayoflife
04-25-2014, 04:18 PM
So for right now, it is not necessary to get the whole pro-tek system from evo, but I only need the oil pan skid? I would love to get some skids before I start to wheel, but not sure

Being that your Jeep didn't come with a skid for your oil pan, it would be a good idea to get one. If you have an automatic, I would get that one for it as well.

jeeeep
04-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Well, in all fairness, the cross member isn't a skid plate - it's a cross member :crazyeyes:

But to you point, yes, it will take a beating and I've replaced mine with a Poison Spyder HD one and will be doing the same on Rubicat. While they will do much better, the only problem I've seen with them is that they transfer the load down the line and to the weak frame rail mounts. Even before I replaced the one on Moby, I had already had to repair cracks in my mounts more than once. Fortunately, my EVO long arm brackets have since helped to reinforce these points.

yea..meant to preface not a skid but prone to the hits...it's hard to work off a phone lol

I was wondering about the load transfer with a HD crossmember, I don't have long arm but will look at reinforcing frame rail mounts...thanks :beer:

Ldogg
04-25-2014, 04:47 PM
So from what I have read on an 08 auto the full protek kit is what I want. Are they pretty much bolt on? Never messed with any before. I read the install on the newer protek kit where you let the jeep sit off for a while to let to oil cool, and I assume the older kit is a similar install?

Thanks!

wayoflife
04-25-2014, 04:50 PM
So from what I have read on an 08 auto the full protek kit is what I want. Are they pretty much bolt on? Never messed with any before. I read the install on the newer protek kit where you let the jeep sit off for a while to let to oil cool, and I assume the older kit is a similar install?

Thanks!

Yup, all bolt on and easy to do.

Hack12
04-25-2014, 04:53 PM
What would you guys recommend for an '08 auto that does infrequent light/moderate wheeling? Any essential parts underneath that aren't covered by factory skid plates that I should worry about?

noroad
04-25-2014, 04:56 PM
What would you guys recommend for an '08 auto that does infrequent light/moderate wheeling? Any essential parts underneath that aren't covered by factory skid plates that I should worry about?

Tranny and oil pan! go with evo protek or rockhard two in one!

Hack12
04-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Tranny and oil pan! go with evo protec or rockhard two in one!

Sweet, thanks! :thumb:

wayoflife
04-25-2014, 05:03 PM

EVO ProTek is what I would recommend. Just what you need and nothing more. little to no loss in ground clearance, minimal weight and easy to remove for servicing.

Hack12
04-25-2014, 05:05 PM
EVO ProTek is what I would recommend.

Cool, I'm on their website right now checking them out! :D

noroad
04-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Cool, I'm on their website right now checking them out! :D

If you do get the evo protek i would have to say get the whole thing! dont just get oil and tranny as you still have the stock crossmember and that will deff help to beef it up a little more!

Hack12
04-25-2014, 05:25 PM
If you do get the evo protek i would have to say get the whole thing! dont just get oil and tranny as you still have the stock crossmember and that will deff help to beef it up a little more!

Ok great, that was my next question!

Ldogg
04-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Yup, all bolt on and easy to do.

Thx! That will be next on the list.

NFRs2000NYC
04-25-2014, 08:22 PM

I love my proteks, and I love their redundancy. Having a tranny skid AND the cross skid basically makes the tranny nearly impossible to contact. For the sub $400 pricetag, I think its great worthwhile insurance. Other companies charge $1000+ for skids, which is insane, but the evo ones are reasonably priced, provide protection, and are cake to install....helps me sleep at night having evo skids in the vulnerable areas. The stock skids are fine for my needs, but I don't wheel hard, but it seems even for someone like Eddie they hold up and do their job, so I see no reason to change em out.

Ldogg
04-25-2014, 09:53 PM
What about the evap canister on the pre 2012 JK's? Poison Spyder makes a skid for about $100 bux, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

iClimbthings
04-29-2014, 06:27 AM
not sure if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone know if an oil pan skid plate from a 2011 jku will fit my 2013 jkur 10A? looking at one at close to nothing and wondering if I should jump on it.

MICP3309
04-29-2014, 08:28 AM
not sure if this is the right thread for this, but does anyone know if an oil pan skid plate from a 2011 jku will fit my 2013 jkur 10A? looking at one at close to nothing and wondering if I should jump on it.

NOPE, as they have 2 completely different engines. The 3.6 in your 2013 is way different, as seen in pics below!

iClimbthings
04-29-2014, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=MICP3309;302552]NOPE, as they have 2 completely different engines. The 3.6 in your 2013 is way different, as seen in pics below!

Ahhh gotcha, make sense:doh: Thanks for the help!

OverlanderJK
05-03-2014, 05:24 AM
I was doing something under the jeep and figured I would take pictures for this thread. One yearish later.

JK's JK
05-03-2014, 05:27 AM
I was doing something under the jeep and figured I would take pictures for this thread. One yearish later.

You should spend a good 200 on the Poison Spyder cross member. That thing is beat up.

OverlanderJK
05-03-2014, 07:01 AM
You should spend a good 200 on the Poison Spyder cross member. That thing is beat up.

But then the poison spider will hang lower and I'll hit it. This is doing it jobs so why replace it?

GCM 2
05-03-2014, 01:59 PM

They look exactly like I would expect them to look, I believe the term would be "proven parts"......

NFRs2000NYC
05-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Good to see that after all that punishment, the stock bolts are still removable as there is plenty of head left to grab.:thumb:

Ed Lapadura
05-14-2014, 11:43 AM
I guess I was overly concerned about my gas tank skid being crushed but looking at some of these pictures I realize it was not that much to be concerned about. I still didn't like the way mine was looking so last night I took it off beat all the dents out and plated it with 3 /16 steel. I'm very happy with the way it turned out and I'm sure it's not going to crush now

DA RUNT
05-14-2014, 11:58 AM
They are provided for FREE from the factory

My factory skids cost $27k, they through the Jeep in for free :cheesy:

Jorge1004
05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
I can see why some people are so o. To replacing stock skids I had a 2011 Nisan frontier pro4-x before I got my jku and the skids on my nissan are just thin sheet metal I way able the bend them with my hands my jku skids are 100% better