Rubicon e-locker

xflstl

Ok here we go.

Friend of mine has an 2010 rubi front axle that was functional but bent, he bought a used newer 2012 I think housing from someone. Took them both to a local shop had the guts from bent axle transferred into the new housing, at the same time he had a re-gear done from 4.10s to 5.13s, also had a used rubi rear axle install and re-gear at the same time. He is waiting for a wiring harness so the lockers are not plugged in!!! On the drive home from the re-gear / axle swap he noticed some binding. After further inspection realized the both the front and rear lockers were engaged. Appling 12v power to the rear locker disengaged it, applying 12v power to the front did nothing, its still locked.

My guess is that the front not only needs 12v power to it, but also needs axle/ gear rotation to free up the locker to disengage. Any other ideas as to what could be the problem? The locker was working when the bent axle was removed from the previous rig.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When the lockers were reinstalled, did the shop make sure to set the plunger on the correct side of the dog clutch? It's a common mistake that most shops who are new to working on JK's make.

xflstl

When the lockers were reinstalled, did the shop make sure to set the plunger on the correct side of the dog clutch? It's a common mistake that most shops who are new to working on JK's make.

Not sure, but it gives us another thing to check!!! :clap2:

However you would think if he did the rear one correctly, he would have gotten the front right to.... However I should not assume!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure, but it gives us another thing to check!!! :clap2:

If installed correctly, you will NOT need power to keep the locker from engaging. The bottom lip of the plunger needs to sit on top of the dog clutch, NOT the dog clutch on top of the head of it.

xflstl

If installed correctly, you will NOT need power to keep the locker from engaging. The bottom lip of the plunger needs to sit on top of the dog clutch, NOT the dog clutch on top of the head of it.

Thanks, this is making more and more sense , seeing as both front and rear lockers were magically engaged after the swap/re-gear.

Top Bottom