Jousted by a branch, now what?

Well we had a great weekend wheeling and camping, but took on some damage. A branch got kicked up weird and poked a hole through the inner fender and fender flair. Unfortunately the brush was so thick that by the time I was able to get out of the Jeep it had worked its way up and into the fender.

Fnder+Side.jpg

Fender+Liner.jpg
Fender+Back.jpg

So, while I get the fender off and to a body shop I need to decide what to do about the flares. Which is where you all come in? I am torn between two flare sets. Genright Aluminum or Bushwacker Flats?

I’ve read several threads and I know many of you say just cut the stockers… but I this flare (inner and outer) are not salvageable (I think the hole in the liner is too far inbound to even be corrected for a cut and reused.)

I wheel in the Midwest. I try to avoid mud but it is fairly unavoidable. There is also a lot of vegetation. It’s USUALLY small stuff that does more scratching that real damage. This said, I would like a flare that can take a love-tap from a tree. (I don’t expect any flare to hold up to a full smack. What I don’t want is for the flare to do more damage than good should an impact happen. ( I know this is a debate). Lastly I have to be concerned for corrosion as I deal with a crap-load of salt in the Winter.
So what are your experiences with my concerns below?

Genright (Clear looks winner)
My JK is Billet Silver, so I think I will be painting them black.. Will I always be touching them up?
Will they cause more damage than good should a tree strike happen?

Bushwacker Flats (Clear cost winner)
How badly will the plastic scratch?
Will they recover from a tree strike?

Sorry for all the reading …Your opinions are appreciated.

There was another thread recently that had a lot of good fender discussion and included talks of the Bushwacker Flat's that might be helpful to you:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?8281-Fender-Flare-Poll…because-who-doesn-t-love-a-poll

Would like to hear what you end up going with as I'm also a Billet JK and have been thinking fender flares myself.

Thanks,

I have been following that thread, but the Genrights weren't in the mix... and while there was some info on the BW's impact resilience there wasn't much on their scratch resistance. I'm so torn......

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
clip the fender back on and do the stock fender trim ... use the money on a different mod call it and day. :thankyou:

biggy

It could have been worse. This branch went right through the firewall pinning the driver. He had internal injuries that required surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 1372093906563.jpg
    1372093906563.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 153

xflstl

It could have been worse. This branch went right through the firewall pinning the driver. He had internal injuries that required surgery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OUCH!!!!!! That branch/tree ended up in a really bad spot!!!!!

Okay so I pulled the trigger on a set of Poison Spyder aluminum tube fenders...

Does anyone have a picture of some that are unpainted on a billet silver or silver Jeep? I like the look of them unfinished on the darker colors but I'm not sure about my billet...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom