Light suggestion

07rub

HEy there,

so i just ordered myself a arb stubby bumper and by doing so i will be loosing my fog lights and what looking for input on what a/m light to get
, should i get a spot or flood or a mix of both, im really looking for something to be as close a posible to the factory light so im not blinding ppl all the time

thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I might recommend that you just upgrade your headlights to a set of Truck-Lite LED's as they will make the need for running fogs at the same time not necessary.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
i would love too get truck lights but there not cheap

They aren't cheap but I can tell you that they are worth every penny. WOL isn't kidding about the light output and not needing to run fogs. You could easily spend half what the truck lights cost to purchase decent fog lights to mount on you new bumper but you won't get nearly as much for your money then if you just saved up for the truck lights. In the case of lights you definitely get what you pay for. :twocents:

Your return on investment will be much better with the TruckLites. :yup:

07rub

So dont buy rigid D2's??? And does anyone have any imput on the truck lights during a snow storm?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
i would love too get truck lights but there not cheap

Generally, good lighting and cheap don't go hand in hand. Im a big proponent of good lighting, and I do like fogs that are actually set up for foul weather. I don't run my fogs to "look cool." My foglights have 3000K HIDs (ion yellow) which is the same setup used on LeMans race-cars. They work VERY well in heavy rain/fog. Are you looking for on-road lighting or off-road lighting? LEDs (pure white light) do not work well for foul weather. If they are mounted high enough (hood and up) they will literally blind you in bad weather. They wash out and glare. You need to know what your lighting goal is.

Here is my setup...

Headlights: HID Projectors @55W with 6000K bulbs (burn with the color of 4300)...

Fogs: OEM housings with 3000K (ion yellow) HIDs @35W

Winchmount: 10" Aurora LED Combo beam

A Pillars: Rigid Industries Dually D2s in driving beam.

Windshield: Aurora 300W (now available in 500W as well) spot beam only 50" dual row bar.

9128401472_ca6d369696_b.jpg

9126129045_4dfa10985a_b.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So would a set of piaa ion yellow be good as fog light replacement ?

Check your local laws if they are street legal, but that aside, if you mount them low enough, they will work. They key for fog lighting is to keep it as low as possible so that the light doesn't bounce back into your face. Sometimes I have been in situations where running with fogs only (no headlights) greatly improved visibility, but again, depends on the weather.

07rub

Yeah i know what u mean, for the law here from what i understand is only 4 light max working on the vehicle on road , and the jeep is the main machine when it comes to snow storm and going to work and like u said sometime i do only run my fog lights in a storm

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yeah i know what u mean, for the law here from what i understand is only 4 light max working on the vehicle on road , and the jeep is the main machine when it comes to snow storm and going to work and like u said sometime i do only run my fog lights in a storm

Me too. I don't run my fogs unless absolutely necessary, and that is usually for biblical rain or a blizzard. The 4 light max is usually the law everywhere. If you are going to use them responsibly then they would be a good bet. If possible, I would run an HID setup for lower power draw.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So dont buy rigid D2's??? And does anyone have any imput on the truck lights during a snow storm?

The D2 is a great product and cost $229/pair. You can get them in fog, driving, spot, or diffused. I have a total of 8 Rigid (combo of fogs and spots) lights on my Jeep and they are awesome. But as suggested by NFRs you should figure out what your end goal is and then decide on lights.

The Rigids will blind you in fog and rain. I haven't had any trouble with the TruckLites in the rain or fog.

There is a thread about the TruckLites that discusses the question of snow and I believe most guys said there wasn't an issue. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Edit: Here is the link http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2717-new-gen-truck-lites

Last edited:

07rub

The D2 is a great product and cost $229/pair. You can get them in fog, driving, spot, or diffused. I have a total of 8 Rigid (combo of fogs and spots) lights on my Jeep and they are awesome. But as suggested by NFRs you should figure out what your end goal is and then decide on lights.

The Rigids will blind you in fog and rain. I haven't had any trouble with the TruckLites in the rain or fog.

There is a thread about the TruckLites that discusses the question of snow and I believe most guys said there wasn't an issue. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Edit: Here is the link http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2717-new-gen-truck-lites

Thanks i will read up on it

07rub

Cuz my current set up is piaa bulb in stock headlights, piaa ion yellow 520 driving lights and stock fogs and i love it but like i said new bumper = no more fogs lol :(

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Cuz my current set up is piaa bulb in stock headlights, piaa ion yellow 520 driving lights and stock fogs and i love it but like i said new bumper = no more fogs lol :(

The ARB bumper has a crapton of flat space....drill some holes and install some fogs.

07rub

No room in the back of it, i though of making brackets to mount my oe fogs but would look weird i think

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The bumper comes with alot of mounts View attachment 36768

Oh ok. In this case I'd do the Piaa lights for the lower mounts, and if you want general offroad lighting an LED bar for the upper mounts. I have not personally tested the amber LED units, so I can't attest to them, but maybe someone else can chime in. My understanding is that the amber LEDs are for dust visibility (so that others can see you) but not so much for foul weather use.

07rub

yeah im going to go with the piaa, i saw that the made the 520 ion fog beam and i would match with my windshield lights, thanks guys

Generally, good lighting and cheap don't go hand in hand. Im a big proponent of good lighting, and I do like fogs that are actually set up for foul weather. I don't run my fogs to "look cool." My foglights have 3000K HIDs (ion yellow) which is the same setup used on LeMans race-cars. They work VERY well in heavy rain/fog. Are you looking for on-road lighting or off-road lighting? LEDs (pure white light) do not work well for foul weather. If they are mounted high enough (hood and up) they will literally blind you in bad weather. They wash out and glare. You need to know what your lighting goal is.

Here is my setup...

Headlights: HID Projectors @55W with 6000K bulbs (burn with the color of 4300)...

Fogs: OEM housings with 3000K (ion yellow) HIDs @35W

Winchmount: 10" Aurora LED Combo beam

A Pillars: Rigid Industries Dually D2s in driving beam.

Windshield: Aurora 300W (now available in 500W as well) spot beam only 50" dual row bar.

9128401472_ca6d369696_b.jpg

9126129045_4dfa10985a_b.jpg

Would you mind posting a picture of your lighting set up in daylight with the lights off just to see what they look like? and what website are your headlights from? what do the HID projectors look like in 7" round buckets

Top Bottom