Need help setting up Dynatrac axles

joelbarras20

Fixing to call Dynatrac going to be doing PR60s front and rear. I am setting up to do 40s looking for advice on how to set them up (gears, shafts, brakes ect) any suggestions?

StrizzyChris

To be honest they would be the best people to call. It's what they do, and they are more than happy to spend all the time you need to answer any questions and build it exactly to fit your build and suspension system. Ask for Steve or Dan Seldon. Both great guys and VERY helpful!

joelbarras20

Just got my quote from Dynatrac for the front and rear axels, Dan gave me some options was wondering which would you guys choose
4340 inner and outer chrome molly shafts or stay with the 1480s
Dynatrac stub hub conversion or stay with the warn
Dynatrac Ball joints or stay with what it comes with
they are also suggesting 8X6.5 lug pattern and 68.5 width on front and rear
Just curious to what options you would do

Since you are going with 60s, might as well go BIG! Go with the chromo shafts, ball joints and the 68.5.

Last edited:

J-Dub253WA

Dude hopefully Eddie will chime in soon for ya. I'm sure he could steer you in the right direction

Sent from J-Dub253WA's iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app!!

rtguy1

68.5 is the minimum/standard width on 60's (3" over stock). depending on the backspacing of your wheels wider can be nice. mine are at 68.5" and i wish i would have done 70". what kind of suspension are you gonna run? if you are gonna outboard coilovers in the rear you need to go wider. remember you still need to squeeze it down some tight trails though.

i would def go with the dynatrac bj's and stub hub.

GCM 2

Code:
Going to be dealing with Steve

Steve is a an awesome guy to work with, very knowledgeable. Be prepared for sticker shock because the basic set up is expensive alone, but when you start to upgrade, the price jumps quickly. Pro Rock 60's come standard full width 68.5", minimum width you can get, and really all you need too. Running full width axles with 40"s is already putting you at very healthy track width that can be a pain in the bottom for a daily driver in parking lots and on the trail. Still worth it though ;)

If you know you will run 40"s, at a minimum I would get:

-full float rear
-front and rear 8 lug hubs
-Competition 4340 Chromoly axle shafts
-5.38:1 ring and pinion
-your choice of locker

If cash is available, these are nice upgrades:

-Dynatrac stub hubs
-Prosteer ball joints
-Big brake upgrade

If you were to purchase from Off Road Evolution, you could get the ultimate Dynatrac upgrade in my opinion:

-EVO High Steer Set-Up
-EVO ram assist skid

Last edited:

joelbarras20

As of right now I will running the DTD with the high clearance LA with 17" wheels with 3.5" bs in the nitto 40s that's the tire I have in 35s now and they are awesome.

GCM 2

As of right now I will running the DTD with the high clearance LA with 17" wheels with 3.5" bs in the nitto 40s that's the tire I have in 35s now and they are awesome.

No need to change a thing, and absolutely no need to go with some custom width axle from Dynatrac. Their off the shelf ProRock 60 (68.5" wide) with the 3.5" back spacing your wheels have will be problem free. Its practically what all of us running ProRocks and DTD set ups use as the standard. :thumb:

bluewave

I wouldn't spend the money on upgrading the front shafts. You don't have enough power to hurt them. The stub hub is great because how short the hub assembly is. No worries about busting it on a rock. I quit supporting dynatrac when they treated me like shot on my personal build. We are a dealer and they still gave US the run around. I went with Torq super 14s and saved a few dollars also. I went with upgraded ssbc brakes too. Make sure you don't get high pinion rear though.

Steve

GCM 2

I wouldn't spend the money on upgrading the front shafts. You don't have enough power to hurt them. The stub hub is great because how short the hub assembly is. No worries about busting it on a rock. I quit supporting dynatrac when they treated me like shot on my personal build. We are a dealer and they still gave US the run around. I went with Torq super 14s and saved a few dollars also. I went with upgraded ssbc brakes too. Make sure you don't get high pinion rear though.

Steve

Sorry to hear that Dyantrac has not given you stellar service, you are in a rare category. Torq axles are fairly new to the market, it will be interesting to see if their reliabilty can match the competitors currently out there. Its not always a bad thing to venture down a new path :thumb: After running Currie on some other vehicles, I chose to go with Dynatrac, so I was a bit worried when I made the jump to something unproven in my eyes. I do have to disagree with your advice of staying away from high pinions rears though. Although I only have a little 3.8L and have never worried, I do wheel with many a jeep that runs a V8 upgrade along with their ProRock 60 which haven't seen any issues at the ring and pinion (but the guys are smart technical drivers).

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Code:

Steve is a an awesome guy to work with, very knowledgeable. Be prepared for sticker shock because the basic set up is expensive alone, but when you start to upgrade, the price jumps quickly. Pro Rock 60's come standard full width 68.5", minimum width you can get, and really all you need too. Running full width axles with 40"s is already putting you at very healthy track width that can be a pain in the bottom for a daily driver in parking lots and on the trail. Still worth it though ;)

If you know you will run 40"s, at a minimum I would get:

-full float rear
-front and rear 8 lug hubs
-Competition 4340 Chromoly axle shafts
-5.38:1 ring and pinion
-your choice of locker

If cash is available, these are nice upgrades:

-Dynatrac stub hubs
-Prosteer ball joints
-Big brake upgrade

If you were to purchase from Off Road Evolution, you could get the ultimate Dynatrac upgrade in my opinion:

-EVO High Steer Set-Up
-EVO ram assist skid

What he said and couldn't agree with it more. Only, I don't think ProSteers are available for a PR60 - I could be wrong on this though.

I should note that the standard 68.5" width is really the best way to go unless you are planning on running wheels with a lot of back spacing like Walker Evans. In a situation like this, you will need the extra width to help make up the difference.

GCM 2

........Only, I don't think ProSteers are available for a PR60 - I could be wrong on this though.....

I think you're correct that they are not available for the 60. It's just that there is always so much talk about PR44's everywhere you turn, and that's one of the most popular options, I probably just threw it out there out of habit! I know when I purchased my ProRock back in 2009, I think prosteers ball joints were brand spanking new.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're correct that they are not available for the 60. It's just that there is always so much talk about PR44's everywhere you turn, and that's one of the most popular options, I probably just threw it out there out of habit! I know when I purchased my ProRock back in 2009, I think prosteers ball joints were brand spanking new.

LOL!! I hear ya and honestly, was thinking there that maybe there was something new coming out that I didn't know about :crazyeyes:

GCM 2

LOL!! I hear ya and honestly, was thinking there that maybe there was something new coming out that I didn't know about :crazyeyes:

Only thing new for the PR60 are the badass steering arms that now come standard! Still need to get a set for my rig...:icon_crazy:

thanks for that info. i just assumed that they would be, but than again, I am still trying to upgrade to a front 44 so that is where my brain is!

andrew-

Top Bottom