Pic Request.... Aluminum Tube Fender (Unfinished) on Silver or Billet JK

After a mishap with a tree I needed to replace my fender-flares. I just pulled the trigger on a set of Poison Spyder Aluminum ones. I know I really like the look of the Aluminum Flares on the darker colored Jeeps but I am not sure about it on my Billet Silver JK.

My Jeep is getting some body work and I won't have it back until Friday. The same day I will get (hopefully) the PSC flares. I would love to see some pics of unfinished aluminum fenders on silver Jeeps to know if I need to have prep and paint ready for the weekend install.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
After a mishap with a tree I needed to replace my fender-flares. I just pulled the trigger on a set of Poisen Spyder Aluminum ones. I know I really like the look of the Aluminum Flares on the darker colored Jeeps but I am not sure about it on my Billet Silver JK.

My Jeep is getting some body work and I won't have it back until Friday. The same day I will get (hopefully) the PSC flares. I would love to see some pics of unfinished aluminum fenders on silver Jeeps to know if I need to have prep and paint ready for the weekend install.

Thanks in advance!

I would at minimum clear them. Aluminum wont rust, but it pits, oxidizes, discolors easily. My Warn aluminum fairlead looked like crap within a month. If you want the raw metal look, sand it, brush with steel wool, and spray 3 coats of clear over it.

I would at minimum clear them. Aluminum wont rust, but it pits, oxidizes, discolors easily. My Warn aluminum fairlead looked like crap within a month. If you want the raw metal look, sand it, brush with steel wool, and spray 3 coats of clear over it.

Yea, I plan to at least do that... or semi-gloss black. I can't decide which would me less maintenance in the long run. (or what will look better). I suppose either will need frequent light sanding and touch-up after wheeling.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yea, I plan to at least do that... or semi-gloss black. I can't decide which would me less maintenance in the long run. (or what will look better). I suppose either will need frequent light sanding and touch-up after wheeling.

If you are really going to beat them up, it may be wiser to get steel fenders from ACE or something. Aluminum is very easy to gouge, and there is no pretty way to fix that. Just figured you'd want to keep that in mind.

Personally, after watching the Heartland videos, I have solidified my choice of plastic flares. The part where Eddie rips off his fender by smacking a tree is all it took. If that was a solid fender, it would have damaged the body. I'd rather have my fender ripped off leaving the body unscathed. I think plastic fenders are for hardcore rigs, and metal are for the medium trail runs....personal opinion of course.

Last edited:
If you are really going to beat them up, it may be wiser to get steel fenders from ACE or something. Aluminum is very easy to gouge, and there is no pretty way to fix that. Just figured you'd want to keep that in mind.

Personally, after watching the Heartland videos, I have solidified my choice of plastic flares. The part where Eddie rips off his fender by smacking a tree is all it took. If that was a solid fender, it would have damaged the body. I'd rather have my fender ripped off leaving the body unscathed. I think plastic fenders are for hardcore rigs, and metal are for the medium trail runs....personal opinion of course.

I do wheel pretty hard, (for the midwest). But the terrain rarely has rocks (at least ones that are large enough to get to the fenders. Their usual abuse comes from brush and small trees. Hitting a large tree with any speed at all is pretty rare. I have read several posts talking about the advantages of the plastic flares "Just getting ripped off" but the JK sheet-metal is so thin behind the front tire that it often still bends. I have seen just as much damage done by a plastic fender getting removed by an obstacle as a metal when struck. (Including my own circumstance that prompted this purchase.) A big advantage to the PSC flares is the added brackets so they don't simply mount to the sheet metal. My club has about 200 members in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky area. Almost all run metal flares, (or none).

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I do wheel pretty hard, (for the midwest). But the terrain rarely has rocks (at least ones that are large enough to get to the fenders. Their usual abuse comes from brush and small trees. Hitting a large tree with any speed at all is pretty rare. I have read several posts talking about the advantages of the plastic flares "Just getting ripped off" but the JK sheet-metal is so thin behind the front tire that it often still bends. I have seen just as much damage done by a plastic fender getting removed by an obstacle as a metal when struck. (Including my own circumstance that prompted this purchase.) A big advantage to the PSC flares is the added brackets so they don't simply mount to the sheet metal. My club has about 200 members in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky area. Almost all run metal flares, (or none).

Oh, ok. I didn't know the PSC fenders mount on brackets rather than just the sheetmetal. It seems to me that dead impact the metal does a better job of protecting but moving impact the plastic does a better job...from what I've seen anyway, so pick your poison I guess. A few guy's I've met run the ace fenders and have been very happy with them (you can stand on em) so make sure you check those out too.

Top Bottom