Camber Question

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Just received the camber numbers from the alignment shop:
Driver: -0.8
Passenger: -0.7

Ball joints are fine, no problem there. Alignment shop thinks camber is where it was from the factory, although clearly not within factory specs. (I think factory is around -0.25 to -0.4).

Shop wants to install offset ball joints from Specialty Products Company. Doesn't seem necessary to me. Any thoughts? Are these readings outside high enough to warrant action and, if so, wouldn't it be better to go with Dynatracs?

Last edited:

JeepFan

Hooked
I had my alignment checked after I had the lift installed. Your camber numbers look pretty close to where mine are now. I decided to leave it as is and have not had any problems with tire wear in over 35,000 miles.

Webe

If it's causing tire wear issues or the vehicle is not handling properly I'd recommend fixed ball joints. They will hold better with oversized tires. As far as brands I can't really comment on that as I've been out of the alignment business too long. However if there are no wear issues or handling problems I'd leave it alone.

Webe

What are fixed ball joints? Different than stock type?

They are offset to a specific camber or caster. Adjustables you can turn and adjust both. I've never seen them move but I like to play hard so prefer not to test it.

jeeeep

Hooked
rotate with each oil change, I've been able to squeeze about 8000 more miles out of a set of tires with good rotate and balance frequency.

but I also put around 29000 miles/yr

Top Bottom