bolt stuck in Mirror question...

cyber0ne

Ok so I got the Rugged Ridge relocation brackets. Bolts all came off old mirrors no issues but one..... the bolt that hold the mirror on to the bracket on the bottom of the mirror..... I stripped out the torx head trying to get it off....got mad and drilled the head off the bolt. I was then able to hammer the bracket off but now Im stuck with a mirror with a threaded rod sticking out of it.
I have been trying WD-40 and vice-grips for past hour and it will not brake loose. I thought about just using a nut and trying to put it on..... but the vice grips removed most of the thread. So now I have these nice brackets on my jeep....with no mirror and I really don't want to spend anouthe 160.00 on mirrors...

Anyone have a idea how to get the rest of this bolt out... ???

Update - lol heated the bolt till it was red, then gave it one last try and it came right out.... wow, had I know it was going to be this much work to take them apart I could have just left them on the door!

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I had the same problem when I used my brackets(got the same ones as you). I ran only my driver side mirror for almost a year because I couldn't get the passenger side out. Finally I heated it like you and 20 mins later it was out lol

Sent from my iPhone

SPIELUHR

I have the same brackets as you also I had no issues getting mine apart granted I only have 9k on my jeep. The next day a guy came to the dealership I work at with the same issue as you. we tried to get them apart with an air hammer but no luck wish this thread was made back then I could have told him your solution. love the brackets only downfall is the pass side is useless with the door on :mad:

cyber0ne

Ya was a true pain to get apart. Jeep is 2010 since they have been on for 3 years....

Incase anyone else has this issue and needs a new bolt like I did... its a size 8mm standard tread.

Top Bottom