Cold air intake ?

big rick

So I am thinking of getting a new intake...do they improve mileage and power as much as they say...are they worth the investment...will they make those increases without changing the exhaust system...what is the best one out there...are they difficult to install?

Any input is much appreciated. I am really hoping to increase my gas mileage a little...these gas prices out here in Cali are killing the wallet! Tnx.

Big Rick

Big Rick
Go Chargers

kimer82

you will for sure notice the power on some Cold Air intake systems.
but for gas milage i would have no clue.... my feet is made out of led and it doesnt help with gas milage..

big rick

you will for sure notice the power on some Cold Air intake systems.
but for gas milage i would have no clue.... my feet is made out of led and it doesnt help with gas milage..

What kind did you install? I was thinking K&N...

Big Rick
Go Chargers

mtnbiker995

What kind did you install? I was thinking K&N...

Big Rick
Go Chargers

In Cali you might have to get an AIRAID so that its CARB compliant...I dunno if other systems are or aren't, but I know that's one of the reasons Eddie runs it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

big rick

In Cali you might have to get an AIRAID so that its CARB compliant...I dunno if other systems are or aren't, but I know that's one of the reasons Eddie runs it

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good to know...thanks. I will check into that.

Big Rick
Go Chargers

Devallee

I think it usually depends on the driver. Some guys will say they decreased in gas mileage after putting in a CAI which is my case, but that's because love the sound when I step on the gas and I also drive my jeep like its a Ferrari. As far as power gains, I don't think you'll see much difference unless its paired with an exhaust as well. I'm running a Banks CAI with dynomax exhaust and I love it. However if you're a fan of playing in water, I'd either stick with the stock intake system and just upgrade the filter, or run a closed CAI system because if you've seen most CAIs they're wide open and will suck in water in a heartbeat. I've been lucky/smart enough so far as to not fly into water puddles and flood my engine as my Banks intake is open as well. As long as you're careful it won't be a problem :thumb:

Devallee

I like the Banks because its not as open as some aftermarket intakes but still open enough to get better flow over stock and is also CA emissions approved. And as for difficulty to install..I'd say maybe 10-15 minutes tops with basic tools

Last edited:

Tranquillity

Nope no better mileage. The only good side from a CAI is the throaty sound, which is worth the money IMO. Can't say if they all give that sounds but I had an AEM brute force and it was very nice. The increased HP is not very noticeable. I guess to get better hp would be to change headers and exhaust line as well...

big rick

Tnx for the input everyone. I appreciate it. When I upgrade to 35's I know I will be losing some gas mileage so I am looking for some way to offset that lose if possible. Sounds like my expenditures will continue to grow! That credit card is gonna be smokin!!

Big Rick
Go Chargers

Tranquillity

Well since you got a 2009 I would go with the superchip flashpaq. It's the only option you have that will be worth it. And it does improve the gas mileage. And 4.10 ratio with 35 is not that bad... I'm with 3.73 and my mpg drop by 2 when I switch from the 32" bfg km to my 35" goodyear duratrac. I'm starting to think that I should run my 35 all the time...

TheDuff

I have a superchips traildash, like a flashpac only better! Eddie had one on Moby and rebeljk just got one if u want some more opinions. I think it was worth every penny.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Zeu22

I got an AIRAID and definitely noticed the power improvement, made a nice sound under acceleration and had about ~1mpg improvement... It may be more but the sound is making me accelerate a little more than normal ;)

desertrunner

i started off with a home made CAI that was wide open and got myself in a little too deep and hydrolocked my engine. After that happened i went with an AIRAID its a lot more boxed in and i have gone through some decent water crossings and no troubles like before plus it has a great grumble when you get on the gas and get it into the 4-5000 RPM range.
I noticed a little bit of an increase in power but nothing huge i am running a dynamax exhaust as well and that is a great combo for a little extra power

bwittter24

My k@n makes an annoying whistle at 2000 rpm and can't figure out how to get rid of it other then switching to a different cai. So right now I'd say anything other then k@n

Devallee

My k@n makes an annoying whistle at 2000 rpm and can't figure out how to get rid of it other then switching to a different cai. So right now I'd say anything other then k@n

Pretty much every CAI whistles around those RPMs. I've heard putting a throttle body spacer in will stop the whistling but I could never justify paying for one just to get rid of the whistle. With all the other noises my jeep makes (tires, exhaust, wind, squeaky joints, etc) I've gotten to a point where the whistle is just a normal sound haha

Top Bottom