Outfitting the jku for camping; what's needed?

Alright so, I have a 2012 jku sport with a 3.5" rk flex system, 35" toyo open country M/T's, poison spyder rock sliders, teraflex tire carrier, 48" hi lift and 2 gallon rotopax. If I were to go camping for 2-3 days, what should I pack/buy for the trip? I'm trying to outfit my jku for a camping/photographer oriented jku with longer camping trips in the future.

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ARB fridge full of beer.

:cheesy: What he said :D

All jokes aside, you would be doing yourself a real favor to get an ARB fridge. For a 2-3 day trip, it'll allow you to carry more food being that you won't have to carry any ice and, it'll keep your food from going bad without having to worry about your ice melting.

Aside from that, a good tent, camp bed, sleeping bag are things you'll want. A means to cook is always helpful, plenty of water and a means to pack out your trash is always good to have too.

ARB fridge full of beer.

I thought that was a given!

:cheesy: What he said :D

All jokes aside, you would be doing yourself a real favor to get an ARB fridge. For a 2-3 day trip, it'll allow you to carry more food being that you won't have to carry any ice and, it'll keep your food from going bad without having to worry about your ice melting.

Aside from that, a good tent, camp bed, sleeping bag are things you'll want. A means to cook is always helpful, plenty of water and a means to pack out your trash is always good to have too.

Thanks for the advice, i figured an ARB fridge would be said first, and a propane stove of some sort. Kinda specific, but assuming you have a propane burner and a source to keep food cold, what types of food are good to pack with you?

Thanks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I like sandwiches for lunch, steaks for dinner and eggs for breakfast. But with a cooler it's easier/better to have prepared cold foods so you don't have to open the cooler so much.

I like sandwiches for lunch, steaks for dinner and eggs for breakfast. But with a cooler it's easier/better to have prepared cold foods so you don't have to open the cooler so much.

Makes sense, seems to be as I expected. I just need an arb fridge and a propane stove and I think I'll be set. I believe I have just about everything else

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You don't need one, I don't have one, yet. Just get a good cooler and freeze bottles of water to go along with your ice. If you keep the opening and closing to a minimum you'd be fine. I've done it but would rather have a fridge. :thumb:

Also add to your list a GPS if you don't know where your going. Trasharoo makes a cool bag that attaches to your tire carrier.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Great question, but the answer depends a bit on the resources available at your campsites. Water is huge (knowing whether you can get it or whether you must bring it).

I always carry staple survival needs on top of my normal camping gear. A good knife or two, iodine tablets and/or a good water filter, compass, the ability to make fire, etc. A good minimalist kit doesn't cost or weigh much and can mean the difference between life and death if you truly like to go off the beaten path (and if your vehicle breaks down).

You don't need one, I don't have one, yet. Just get a good cooler and freeze bottles of water to go along with your ice. If you keep the opening and closing to a minimum you'd be fine. I've done it but would rather have a fridge. :thumb:

A mod involving food and your jeep, what can go wrong!

Great question, but the answer depends a bit on the resources available at your campsites. Water is huge (knowing whether you can get it or whether you must bring it).

I always carry staple survival needs on top of my normal camping gear. A good knife or two, iodine tablets and/or a good water filter, compass, the ability to make fire, etc. A good minimalist kit doesn't cost or weigh much and can mean the difference between life and death if you truly like to go off the beaten path (and if your vehicle breaks down).
I eventually wish to camp off the beaten path but for right now, it'll probably be pretty close to civilization and help. What are some good knifes to look into? And are there companies that sell a complete kit (including the items you said) if so, what companies sell them and where can they be purchased

Thanks

Also add to your list a GPS if you don't know where your going. Trasharoo makes a cool bag that attaches to your tire carrier.

I've been looking into GPS's a bit but I'm having trouble finding a good GPS that'll have fire roads and trails in them. What should I look for and are there any you'd suggest?

Thanks

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I forgot to add a first aid kit. How fancy it gets depends on how much training you have in its use and how comfortable you are using the contents.

I'm sure there are companies who sell complete setups. I prefer to make my own so I'm only buying the things I want and nothing extra. The knife question is a bit like asking about guns. Lol. Everyone will have an opinion and it will likely be biased based on what they own. Can you get by with a $50 knife from Walmart? Sure. Is it worth it to spend more? For me, yes. One of my favorite all-purpose blades is a Cold Steel Master Hunter. Not too big, not too small. It will take abuse and last forever. I prefer fixed knives over folding knives.

I forgot to add a first aid kit. How fancy it gets depends on how much training you have in its use and how comfortable you are using the contents.

I'm sure there are companies who sell complete setups. I prefer to make my own so I'm only buying the things I want and nothing extra. The knife question is a bit like asking about guns. Lol. Everyone will have an opinion and it will likely be biased based on what they own. Can you get by with a $50 knife from Walmart? Sure. Is it worth it to spend more? For me, yes. One of my favorite all-purpose blades is a Cold Steel Master Hunter. Not too big, not too small. It will take abuse and last forever. I prefer fixed knives over folding knives.

Great thanks for the info!
So in the pack, it would be good to carry:

knife(s)
A flint or some sort of fire starter
First aid kit
Water purification tablets
A multitool
Compass
550 paracord
Flashlight(s)

Anything else I'm missing?

Thank you for your help, appreciate it greatly!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That's a great start. It will grow from there as you figure out what works for you and the areas you like to travel.

CerOf

Toilet paper. Leaves are over rated. Pooped in a bamboo forest in Hawaii with no TP. Just hard to get really clean with leaves. TP is always in my Heep when traveling away from civilization and/or back packing.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Wizard

Camping Specific Equipment

• Something to keep the cold stuff in (esky/fridge).
  • Stove to cook on, or BBQ plate if a fire is possible.
  • Cooking utensils (frypan/saucepans, billy/kettle,tongs, knives/forks/spoons).
  • Cups, plates (paper), dishes.
  • Food.
  • Fire lighting gear (matches/lighter/firelighters).
  • Paper towel.
  • Sauces, cooking oils/sprays.
  • Wash up dish (collapsible), wash-up detergent, cloth and drying towel.
  • Bucket (collapsible).
  • Water (quantity depends on what's available at camp site or along the way).
  • Shovel and toilet paper.
  • Accommodation (swag/tent) and sleeping gear/bedding.
  • Clothing suitable for all sorts of weather (wet/dry, cold/hot).
  • Sunscreen/hat.
  • Comprehensive First aid kit.
  • Tarp, pegs, and ropes.
  • Camp lighting (battery operated torches, head torches and vehicle flood/work lights)
  • Something to cart your rubbish home in if required (rubbish bag).

My newest favourite bits of gear for camping is the collapsible buckets and dishes, as they save so much room.

Paper plates also save on washing up, as you can chuck them in the fire (paper only of course) when you're finished eating.

With the lighting, I use mostly LED stuff now, as it's just so good on battery power consumption.

This list doesn't include all that stuff that you would normally need for wheeling like, puncture kits, recovery equipment, equipment for airing up and down, and GPS's etc..

Last edited:
Toilet paper. Leaves are over rated. Pooped in a bamboo forest in Hawaii with no TP. Just hard to get really clean with leaves. TP is always in my Heep when traveling away from civilization and/or back packing.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

baby wipes are a must too. For those days when you just feel funky a quick wipe down with a baby wipe makes you feel a lot better. I used them in Afghanistan. Also to save on actual meal preparations get you some MRE's. Serves two purposes quick and easy meal and plugs you up for a couple of days. Just do not eat the gum.

Top Bottom