Steering Upgrade?

Hell_Fire

Hey guys so the 35s worked great on our latest trip, thing is I noticed some oil on my pitman arm lately, it also has a cluck cluck sound (not as in chicken cluck lol ) when I turn the steering now and then, is there any heavy duty upgrades I can look at on the steering as I am thinking of going to 37s in the future in any case, if it can't handle 35s now it will definitely not handle 37s

FrankenJeeper

Alot of folks run the PSC Hydro Assist setup, I plan to run this route soon.

2010 JKU Sport
1977 CJ5

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hell_Fire

Yeah I looked at the replacement from PSC but that price is totally out of the question for me, exchange rate and import will kill me. Is there no other way to reinforce with out going the PSC route?

Tcdawg

Look into West Texas Offroad for hydro assist help. Very reasonable pricing.

For now, if you are showing signs of fluid leaking it's more than likely because it is overheating. Adding a steering cooler will help. A number of selections at the PSC site to choose from.

GCM 2

Yeah I looked at the replacement from PSC but that price is totally out of the question for me, exchange rate and import will kill me. Is there no other way to reinforce with out going the PSC route?

It's still going to cost a small fortune to replace a broken steering box. Once that is done, you can install a sector shaft brace, the sector shaft is the splined output shaft that sticks out of the bottom of the the steering box. It will help to alleviate some of the strain that is put on the shaft and the box from trying to turn the bigger tires. A sector shaft brace puts the sector shaft in "double shear", making the shaft stronger. Doing all of this is still expensive, there is no cheap fix. The only real fix is to go with the PSC ram assist.

Hell_Fire

Hmmmmmm thanks guys, seems like I will have to start saving then, no use in doing something half ass, better to do it proper first time.

Devallee

Not to hijack but, I've been having this same leak problem for at least 6 months now (since I've noticed it anyways) but it seems to be slow and hasn't really affected my steering yet. What would be some signs that I would see/feel to know its failing and time to replace it? I definitely don't have the money to go the PSC route or to even replace the stock steering box for that matter so I'm hoping it might just be a bad gasket or something cheaper since it seems to be a slow leak

Team.RGP

For those interested in steering solutions for your jeep, there is a very interesting article in the July issue of JP Magazine.

Top Bottom