Axles

NatedTJ

So the question is D44 or Ford 8.8

-Which is stronger?

i found a 8.8 with locker and disc brakes for $300 but then ill need to add brackets around 300
or should i hold out and wait to get a 44....:thinking::thinking::thinking: :idontknow:

any input will help:yup:, thanks y'all

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Depends what your plans are but the 8" is a good axle and I have beat on them before in other vehicles I have had.

NatedTJ

I was gonna do the truss kit on it and it comes with factory locker idk yet but I herd they're strong

naysjp

Caught the Bug
I'll be doing the 8.8 on my TJ Hopefully by the end of the year. When I found work again, I just started a job and my D35 rear end grenaded because someone must have reused a screw somewhere(who knows). I spend 1100.00 getting if fixes since I had just started the job. I could have gotten the 8.8 had I had the time to wait and not needed to commute to work. Since this is my only vehicle and I am not that handy in mechanics, I found a place to build an axle with what I want. At the East Coast Gear Supply website you can build the rear end you want, shipping is free but handling fee is 250.00. The shafts are welde, the brackets are welded and this axle is made to drop in and bolt only a TJ. You don't know none of the welding, it was done for you. Depending on if you put a locker in it, you can build an 8.8 rear axle for a grand. I priced one out with a lunchbox locker and it came to 1200.00 not including the said handling fee.

You'll be happy with that rear end. Althought I've heard of people breaking it, they must have been just been beating on it. Nevermind trying to build up the current axle you are running, just go with the 8.8. It's a great and pretty popular conversion axle for the TJ.

NatedTJ

Yeah I found a 8.8 for 300 I was gonna get a truss set up and go grime there well see when the time come I have a couple places looking for a 9" as we'll I'm going to wait it out for a little while long so well see thanks and ill look at the website for sure!

Indefatigable

Depends on what you are doing with the axle.

The 8.8 is a nice axle. I had one in my YJ

But, it has a huge drawback over the 44. Ground clearance. It is big and hangs down low. Much lower than the 44.

If you are just going 33 and maybe 35s ?

Do you wheel a lot where ground clearance is an issue? Diff dragging a lot? etc? Or mostly light wheeling, forest service road driving?

For wheeling, the 44 is the better way to go. For forest service road running and daily driving, the 8.8 is probably the better value install.

NatedTJ

Depends on what you are doing with the axle.

The 8.8 is a nice axle. I had one in my YJ

But, it has a huge drawback over the 44. Ground clearance. It is big and hangs down low. Much lower than the 44.

If you are just going 33 and maybe 35s ?

Do you wheel a lot where ground clearance is an issue? Diff dragging a lot? etc? Or mostly light wheeling, forest service road driving?

For wheeling, the 44 is the better way to go. For forest service road running and daily driving, the 8.8 is probably the better value install.

I will at an off road park and will be running 35s i Found one d44 with 373s and he wants around 700.
700 seems a little steep to me.

Indefatigable

I sold my 44, disk 3.73 etc out of my LJ for almost a grand.

The 8.8 would need new mounts etc put on it. The 44 would just bolt in. Yes?

Beafire

I am running an 8.8 in my Tj. One more thing to consider is it is a c-clip axle design. If the 8.8 you are looking at has drum brakes I would not purchase it. With a disc braked 8.8 the brake caliper will prevent axle walk out if you brake the weak point, c-clip end. I upgraded mine with the superior axles super 8.8 setup, just Google it, if its good enough for 1100 hp then it tough enough for my Atlas four speed and 38 inch super swampers.

Top Bottom