Ouray

alf1096

I will be staying at the ski resort in Durango and will be there for a couple of weeks. I am taking the jeep and want to get about 4 good days of wheeling. I have no idea on how to plan my trails. I need to know what trails to run together or is there a place that will have a map I can plan.

Any help would be nice.

Ldogg

Go get this book, it lists 20 trails for the Ouray area and 100 trails total for all of southern Colorado. The book has GPS coordinates, way points and good useful information. Traildamage is also a great resource, and lists alot of this too. The nice thing with the book is you can throw it into the jeep instead of trying the get a signal on your smartphone... :D

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372629557.772723.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372629721.352924.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372629740.753168.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372629882.502885.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Go get this book, it lists 20 trails for the Ouray area and 100 trails total for all of southern Colorado. The book has GPS coordinates, way points and good useful information. Traildamage is also a great resource, and lists alot of this too. The nice thing with the book is you can throw it into the jeep instead of trying the get a signal on your smartphone... :D

View attachment 37662

View attachment 37663

View attachment 37664

View attachment 37665

Agree with this. I have all their books and they are worth their weight in gold. Get em.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
You may want to think of staying one night in ouray or silverton. This way you not dealing with driving to Durango after a day of wheeling. My recommendations: Imogene. Ophir. California pass. There are tougher trials. I've done them but go with someone. Like black bear. My favorite place to jeep is the San Juan's. have fun. :rock:

relbus

I just did the exact trip you speak of, got back the 10th. We stayed at DMR (Durango Mountain Resort)... well across the street at the blackbear condos.

I would have preferred to be in Ouray or Silverton, closer to the action. This however wasn't bad, we could be in Silverton within about 30 minutes. Ouray took about an hour to get to.
It was nice that we were so centrally located that we could go down into Durango for an afternoon or evening. We could go North to Silverton, Ouray , or Telluride. We spent time in all of those towns, and ran many trails.

One suggestion, check out the old schoolhouse cafe that will be a few miles south of DMR. Phenomenal pizza and calzones!

Also, be careful driving back to DMR at night, I had way too many close calls with wildlife on the trips home at night!

Also, the book will be the best $ you can spend. I also used the Every Trail app, throughout the trip.

relbus

FWIW- A cool loop we did was to take Ophir pass to the town of Ophir and then continue on to 145. 145 to Telluride for lunch, Imogene out of Telluride to Ouray.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Just got back from two days in Ouray. Almost within walking distance is any kind of trail from easy to OMG. As recommended, Colorado Backroads is a fantastic trail guide. A couple of photos from the Yankee Boy Basin trail. The book gives it a moderate rating meaning a JK will have no real difficulty. Twin Falls is believed to be the model for a waterfall that appeared on the Coors can in the 70's. The Crystal Mill is in nearby Marble and is one of the most photographed places in the state. The rare and delicate state flower, the Columbine, only grows during the summer and at timberline is simply beautiful.
We stayed in the downtown Ouray Chalet Inn. Moderate price and drop dead views from the streetside rooms. Ouray is often called the Switzerland of America. That is not an exaggeration! Enjoy!!
Twin Falls.jpg
Crystal Mill.jpg
Columbines.jpg

Top Bottom