Third brake light wiring HELP!!!

DanMojo82

I got the tramp stamp II from Poison Spyder and installed it today. I also installed the third brake light from Off Road Only that they sell as an add on for it. I thought I had it all figured out earlier today and gave myself a nice pat on the back, however, after driving around for a while and the sun going down, I can tell that its not quite right.

While just driving everything is fine, license plate light works fine, 3rd brake light works when the brake is pressed. However, the passenger side light where I spliced into either greatly dims or doesn't light up at all. Then when in reverse the passenger side lights down come on at all. What did I mess up on?

I have the green wire from the kit which is the tail/license plate light wired to the white wire with a purple stripe going to the tail light
I have the red wire from the kit which is the brake light wired to the white wire with a black stripe going to the tail light
I have the black wire from the kit which is the ground wired to the black wire going to the tail light

WP_000573.jpg
in park
WP_000574.jpg
brakes pressed
WP_000575.jpg
in reverse with brake on
WP_000579.jpg
My attempt at wiring

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:beer:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It has to do with the CANBUS and JK electrical system. This is a common problem when trying to replace LED's with the stock lights. I believe there is a fix but I am uncertain of what it is.

I got the tramp stamp II from Poison Spyder and installed it today. I also installed the third brake light from Off Road Only that they sell as an add on for it. I thought I had it all figured out earlier today and gave myself a nice pat on the back, however, after driving around for a while and the sun going down, I can tell that its not quite right.

While just driving everything is fine, license plate light works fine, 3rd brake light works when the brake is pressed. However, the passenger side light where I spliced into either greatly dims or doesn't light up at all. Then when in reverse the passenger side lights down come on at all. What did I mess up on?

I have the green wire from the kit which is the tail/license plate light wired to the white wire with a purple stripe going to the tail light
I have the red wire from the kit which is the brake light wired to the white wire with a black stripe going to the tail light
I have the black wire from the kit which is the ground wired to the black wire going to the tail light

View attachment 37713
in park
View attachment 37714
brakes pressed
View attachment 37715
in reverse with brake on
View attachment 37716
My attempt at wiring

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:beer:

Usually if a wire has a black line it represents a ground. The green to me would be the ground. Do you have the wiring diagram which came with your mod? If so can you post a picture of it? I will see if I can find a wiring diagram and help.
It sounds like there is a wire crossed just not sure which one. With only three wires there are a possiblity of about 27 different combonations.

R/
Will

It has to do with the CANBUS and JK electrical system. This is a common problem when trying to replace LED's with the stock lights. I believe there is a fix but I am uncertain of what it is.

Maybe a load limiter. had the same issue with my HD had to run a load limiter to get the voltage correct.

DanMojo82

It didn't come with a wiring diagram, it just came with a description of what the wires on the 3rd brake light kit were for. Nothing what so ever for the jeep.

The black wire on the jeep was the only one that goes to both the brake light/signal and the reverse light.

If it has something to do with running a LED light off of the regular wiring what would I need to put in line to get everything to run smoothly?

Last edited:
It didn't come with a wiring diagram, it just came with a description of what the wires on the 3rd brake light kit were for. Nothing what so ever for the jeep.

The black wire on the jeep was the only one that goes to both the brake light/signal and the reverse light.

If it has something to do with running a LED light off of the regular wiring what would I need to put in line to get everything to run smoothly?

From what you are describing there is a wire swapped. my recommendation is to start over. Put everything back to orginal configuration and check light operation.

Before getting started again use wire connectors like these Connector.jpg which clamp on to the wire with out having to cut it. there are two sides to this connector one for the main line and the other is for the spliced in wire. Put a piece of wire in tha section. Strip back about a 1/4 inch of insulation. then you can put the wires in with a wire nut to check for proper operation. Once the right configuration is set then you can splice using environemtal splices.

Here is a link to a wiring diagram.http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/thomas3767/2010-06-24_175233_08_jeep.gif

R/
Will

Serg5000

On the inside of your tail gate is the wire for the stock third light. I tapped into that and it worked great.

I first tapped into the right side brake light and had the same issue as you. That's what got me thinking about the tail gate wiring.

Top Bottom