Wheel spacers with aftermarket wheels?

LSM

I've got a 2012 jku with 2.5 lift and leveling kit and I'm wanting to run 35's. I was told you had to run spacers even with aftermarket wheels because there is not enough backspacing. Is this true? And my other question is I really like my factory rims so how safe are spacers and how much maintenance is required once they are installed? Thanks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Most people buy aftermarket wheels to avoid running spacers so whoever told you you need them is wrong. If you get a good quality spacer like spidertrax then you will be good to go.

rinkishjk

I have ran spidertrax spacers on my jk for about 3 years with stock wheels and 35's. Wheeled a bunch of times, periodically check the torque on the spacers and I haven't had one issue.
As long as u get rims with 4.5 or less backspacing u will not need spacers.
If u do get spacers, follow the instructions, use loctite and check them every rotation. :thumbup:

PilotJK

I've got a 2012 jku with 2.5 lift and leveling kit and I'm wanting to run 35's. I was told you had to run spacers even with aftermarket wheels because there is not enough backspacing. Is this true? And my other question is I really like my factory rims so how safe are spacers and how much maintenance is required once they are installed? Thanks

I just installed Spidertrax spacers using my stock wheels. Easy to put on and be sure to torque as per their directions. Maintenance wise, after the first 50 miles re-torque the spacers and wheels. I guess it wouldn't hurt to re-torque every so often.

jeeeep

Hooked
as mentioned, with your stock wheels you can use spacers - buy good quality spacers like SpiderTrax, they are wheel and hub centric. don't go cheap on spacers, you don't want those issues

with after market wheels you can select the backspacing you need, check the tire manufacturers specs, they will list recommendations.

if the place you are buying your tires from are telling you that you need spacers for all after market wheels are they referring to wheels with stock specs?? if not, find another tire dealer...

simonjk

Caught the Bug
sorry to hijack this old thread, but i had a question relating to this and didnt want to waste opening a new thread. im currently running 17x9 wheels with 3.75 backspacing. I had 35x12.5 mud tires on them and didnt rub, i just went up to 37x13.5 nittos and im hitting the front lower control arm. is it safe to run spacers with this set up. Dont know what else to do, any input welcomed please.

1BAMFR

I ran 1.5" spacers with AEV wheels for a while...no issues

IMG_20130527_112424_350_zpse42c16a7.jpg

simonjk

Caught the Bug
I ran 1.5" spacers with AEV wheels for a while...no issues

IMG_20130527_112424_350_zpse42c16a7.jpg

No problems running them?

simon

10 jk rubi 3.5" rc lift, black rocks, 35 bfg at, skyjacker dual steering, cherrybomb exhast, jks front track bar, cut flares.

07 jkur 4" skyjacker lift, mopar offroad bumpers, 1350 driveshafts, gear alloy rims, 37 nitto mid grapplers, warn 9.5cti winch, hids, mopar steps, skyjacker dual steering, skyjacker axle reinforcments, c gussets, mopar cold air intake, cherrybomb exhaust, poison spyder tramp stamp, evo d ring mounts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You shouldn't have any problems running aftermarket wheels with less back spacing AND 1.5" wheel spacers. Yes, they will put more pressure on your bearings and ball joints but really, anything less than stock back spacing will. It's not a big deal.

simonjk

Caught the Bug
Thanks eddie

simon

10 jk rubi 3.5" rc lift, black rocks, 35 bfg at, skyjacker dual steering, cherrybomb exhast, jks front track bar, cut flares.

07 jkur 4" skyjacker lift, mopar offroad bumpers, 1350 driveshafts, gear alloy rims, 37 nitto mid grapplers, warn 9.5cti winch, hids, mopar steps, skyjacker dual steering, skyjacker axle reinforcments, c gussets, mopar cold air intake, cherrybomb exhaust, poison spyder tramp stamp, evo d ring mounts.

In5ane1

Aftermarket or spacers....either way, make sure to remove the rotor retainer clips. Will cause vibrations and possibly danger!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

1BAMFR

No problems running them?

simon

No problems at all!

In5ane1

I've ran them on factory wheels, no issue at all! Loctite is good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom