Did I lift wrong?

TheRoyalDoyle

Hey all, new to jeeping and lifted vehicles all together. Up until a week ago I was a tuner! Figured since I live outside of Sedona I should get a vehicle that I could have fun with in my own home town. I just finished a 3.5 lift on my JKU. I used the AEV kit. I currently have 35's on the Jeep, but after watching some videos and doing some reading, I am starting to feel like I didnt lift enough. As far as I can tell a 37in tire would have been better, and it looks like you cant fit those on a 3.5in lift ><. Just wanted to get some input from the guys that know what they are doing!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey all, new to jeeping and lifted vehicles all together. Up until a week ago I was a tuner! Figured since I live outside of Sedona I should get a vehicle that I could have fun with in my own home town. I just finished a 3.5 lift on my JKU. I used the AEV kit. I currently have 35's on the Jeep, but after watching some videos and doing some reading, I am starting to feel like I didnt lift enough. As far as I can tell a 37in tire would have been better, and it looks like you cant fit those on a 3.5in lift ><. Just wanted to get some input from the guys that know what they are doing!

If you run flat fenders or trim your stock one for free 3.5" lift will be fine for 37's

Sent from my iPhone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What he said, with trimmed fenders, 3.5" will clear 37's but if you really want to go that big, you really need to be aware of how much more you really need to run them. Things like new drive shafts, axle shafts and components to make it all work. 3.5" of lift and 35's is a good setup and if you don't have the budget to go big the right way, I might recommend that you just play with what you got until you can afford to go bigger :yup:

TheRoyalDoyle

What he said, with trimmed fenders, 3.5" will clear 37's but if you really want to go that big, you really need to be aware of how much more you really need to run them. Things like new drive shafts, axle shafts and components to make it all work. 3.5" of lift and 35's is a good setup and if you don't have the budget to go big the right way, I might recommend that you just play with what you got until you can afford to go bigger :yup:

I think you are right. I should be able to have some good fun with the setup I have now. I just am one of those all or nothing type of personalities. I have the budget, just not sure I want to do all of that to a new a Jeep at this point in time. So ill stick with what I got and hopefully not get stuck with it ;)

JK12

I think you are right. I should be able to have some good fun with the setup I have now. I just am one of those all or nothing type of personalities. I have the budget, just not sure I want to do all of that to a new a Jeep at this point in time. So ill stick with what I got and hopefully not get stuck with it ;)

I am running the AEV 3.5" lift with 35"s and its just the right amount of lift but when the money comes it will be regeared and put 37" on and cut fenders will be just the same

epiccosmo

Or you can give AEV a call to get the 4.5" lift bumpstops and run the 37" tires on your 3.5" lift for the LCOG.

What is the downside to this?
The only real downside is that you will loose a bit of up travel but the LCG or low center of gravity is a good thing in order to stay more stable on the trails and roads. I'd just cut your fenders and throw 37's on there if you have the resources. I have a 3.5" rk lift with 35's and know I want 37's but just don't have the cash for all the mods required.

i would personally run what you have now for a while. get a good feel for what the jeep is capable of. then in a few months or a year, your can upgrade to 37"s.... just my .02¢

andrew-

StrizzyChris

What is the downside to this?

Short story...limited wheel travel

Long story....in any lift KIT they usually package the bump stops for s certain tire size as well as shocks and coils together to all work at the same level of wheel travel. By buying a 3.5" kit and putting larger and larger tires, you will be limiting your up travel to stop before your tire hits your "under stuff". Well that happens no matter how much lift you get, and is the battle of low center of gravety vs lift. Your problem will be that the sometimes shorter shocks and definitely shorter coils in the 3" kits, when combined with larger tires, will limit your down travel and total wheel travel.

TheRoyalDoyle

i would personally run what you have now for a while. get a good feel for what the jeep is capable of. then in a few months or a year, your can upgrade to 37"s.... just my .02¢

andrew-

Well since I Just spent a wadd on new tires, I will for sure wait to do anything before I burn these ones off. Just trying to get some ideas ;). People are much more frinedly on this forum than they are on most. Awesome place.

jeeeep

Hooked
run what you have now, you can have a lot of fun as you figure out what you need/want, then make those changes.

Donny

Well since I Just spent a wadd on new tires, I will for sure wait to do anything before I burn these ones off. Just trying to get some ideas ;). People are much more frinedly on this forum than they are on most. Awesome place.

RoyalDoyle,

You will find everyone here is very nice and are all willing to chime in and help if you need it.:rock: They will also tease you when it's needed:shock: :cheesy:
As for your lift and tires...I too have the AEV 3.5" with 35's...you won't find very many trails here in AZ that you can't do...just a few you may not want to do ( I can't wrap my brain around those trails that have a 98% trail damage to the body rating :eek:

Donny

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
The great thing is you can add as you go. Build in stages. Kinda what I'm doing slowly and on a "Beer Budget".:)

TheRoyalDoyle

Does your AEV lift right a bit stiff?

Hard to compare, since I only drove the jeep once without the lift. I bought the vehicle "for my gf" (Just an excuse to have an offraod toy) She drives it on the road mostly. I drive it off ;) If you are in the Sedona area come check it out. For me it doesn't feel to stiff, although what I dd is on track tuned suspension which is REALLY stiff so hard to say.

JK12

Hard to compare, since I only drove the jeep once without the lift. I bought the vehicle "for my gf" (Just an excuse to have an offraod toy) She drives it on the road mostly. I drive it off ;) If you are in the Sedona area come check it out. For me it doesn't feel to stiff, although what I dd is on track tuned suspension which is REALLY stiff so hard to say.

Oh ok well one day ill have to come visit and see a comparison

Top Bottom