Is my tranny toast?

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Stats:
2007 Unlimited w/ auto & 4.10s
Last 85,000 miles were on 34s
Currently 120,000 miles and had dealership change fluid at 80,000 miles

While driving with cruise control on this weekend, I noticed it feel like it was going to downshift but it didn't. It did this 2 more times and the rpms were around 1600-1800 so it needed to kick down.

I checked the fluid and its full but it smells burnt. Will a fluid and filter change help or is the a sign of the end coming soon?

jeeeep

Hooked
depends how they did the fluid change, try to find out from the dealer without causing too much attention. If they sucked it out the fill tube, they did it wrong - I believe even the Jeep service bulletin advises against this method.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
depends how they did the fluid change, try to find out from the dealer without causing too much attention. If they sucked it out the fill tube, they did it wrong - I believe even the Jeep service bulletin advises against this method.

Does this spell it out at all?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1372717415.050894.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
I misread original post ...you've put on 40k miles since the change.

is it still giving you shifting issues? if not, I'd try changing fluid and filter

I do notice they've spelled temperature wrong "Tempature"

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I followed the project-jk transmission fluid change write up which was excellent. But I do have a question. I used the red high temp rtv and was wondering how long to wait before adding fluid. And how long before driving?

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Add fluid an hr or two after.. wait to drive on it over night if you can. Most rtv sets up quick if its not sealing anything under pressure.

Top Bottom