I Need Help!

zeddjb

Okay, so here is my dilemma. I need to replace my rear control arms(actually only one needs to be replaced but I can't get a direct replacement anymore; So I'm stuck having to upgrade all four and it's about time to replace anyhow). I have a Rough Country suspension lift, model: 674X. My questions are this:

Should I upgrade the rear with a different company? If I do, what are some great recommendations for a budget build?

Can this even be done? What I mean is, can I have different brand control arms in the rear and another brand in the front? Are there any negative effects?

The cost of the four rear CAs from Rough Country are $381.85 shipped. Plus there will be a cost to have it aligned at a shop. My budget is under $500.00.

I have a 2012 JK Rubicon, 4.5" lift, 25x12.50R17 Nitto Mud-Grapplers.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Uppers or lowers? You want something that is rebuildable and has Johnny joints. EVO and currie are top in my opinion. You won't be able to get all four rears for under $500 but you would be able to get either uppers or lowers for around that price.

zeddjb

Uppers or lowers? You want something that is rebuildable and has Johnny joints. EVO and currie are top in my opinion. You won't be able to get all four rears for under $500 but you would be able to get either uppers or lowers for around that price.

Thanks for the response. I need to replace all four in the rear; uppers and lowers. I would go with EVO if I had that kind of money, but I'm stuck on a budget unfortunatly.

The Rough Country ones are new and they are also rebuildable which is awesome.

Is it safe to mix and match these types of parts though? This is also my daily driver.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Mix an match is fine as log as they are adjustable to accommodate your lift. More info on your rig would be helpful.

What's wrong with your current arms? I would still recommend replacing ten as you go with quality so you don't have to do it more them once.

zeddjb

Mix an match is fine as log as they are adjustable to accommodate your lift. More info on your rig would be helpful.

What's wrong with your current arms? I would still recommend replacing ten as you go with quality so you don't have to do it more them once.

Really there is only one arm that has an issue. The old model from Rough Country that I have are not rebuildable. The seal on the heim joint is blown out and I can't get grease in there so the joint is bone dry and is making a horrible squeaking sound.

I called Rough Country and they told me that the new rebuildable heim joints won't fit into the old arms. He also told me that if I replace only one that I should replace all of them in the rear because it would cause issues with the alignment which didn't sound right to me because if they are adjustable then why would it matter.

I figured I would replace all four in the rear since they do spend a considerable amount of time in mud and having the ability to rebuild them would be great. I'm just not that big into Rough Country and wanted something that is better quality but someone like me who can't afford a lot of up front cost is usually stuck with a company like Rough Country.

As for the front, there are no issues at all yet and I won't be replacing those until something does happen.

shipwright

Unless there's something wrong with your control arms or frame side bushings, you can just replace the joints. You should be able to find Johnny Joints (or other) with the correct shaft size for fairly cheap.

jeeeep

Hooked
you could do the alignment yourself and save a few bucks - I read the specs on your Jeep profile, it's a 2012 and the arms are already shot? no warranty?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really there is only one arm that has an issue. The old model from Rough Country that I have are not rebuildable. The seal on the heim joint is blown out and I can't get grease in there so the joint is bone dry and is making a horrible squeaking sound.

I called Rough Country and they told me that the new rebuildable heim joints won't fit into the old arms. He also told me that if I replace only one that I should replace all of them in the rear because it would cause issues with the alignment which didn't sound right to me because if they are adjustable then why would it matter.

I figured I would replace all four in the rear since they do spend a considerable amount of time in mud and having the ability to rebuild them would be great. I'm just not that big into Rough Country and wanted something that is better quality but someone like me who can't afford a lot of up front cost is usually stuck with a company like Rough Country.

As for the front, there are no issues at all yet and I won't be replacing those until something does happen.

Well that sucks. What I might recommend is just getting a set of factory take offs for the rear lowers and then just get rear uppers. They are really all that you need if you have an aftermarket drive shaft.

bl17z90

synergy also sells a heim joint control arm. Rough Country just sounds like they are trying to get more money out of you....

zeddjb

synergy also sells a heim joint control arm. Rough Country just sounds like they are trying to get more money out of you....

Yea, that's what I figured and that's one reason I want to get away from that company. I'll have to try looking for just the heim joint because there really is nothing wrong with the CA itself; it's just the joint that is messed up.

I suppose no one knows what thread size and pitch those are by chance?

zeddjb

Well that sucks. What I might recommend is just getting a set of factory take offs for the rear lowers and then just get rear uppers. They are really all that you need if you have an aftermarket drive shaft.

Just so I understand what you are suggesting; I have all my factory parts stashed away. Are you saying that I just pull the Rough Country rear lower CAs off and re-install the factory rear lowers? I don't have an aftermarket drive shaft yet, but it is on the list for later this year I hope.

What will this do to the rear angle of the differential? Pull it way forward on the bottom I would think which may not be a horrible thing depending on how much of an angle it will be at.

zeddjb

I think what I am going to do is just buy the Currie upper and lower control arms and be done with it. I know they are a bit more expensive but like others have said, Currie is a great company with great products.

Can anyone give me a quick hand with which part numbers I need to order. On their website its a bit confusing but these are what I think I need.

Rear Uppers:
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=2896

Rear Lowers:
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=2894

Their site doesn't exactly line up exactly with the pictures and I just want to make sure I get the correct sets.

Top Bottom